PDA

View Full Version : Hi , Im new to AK's

Gh0zt36
07-03-2012, 03:16 PM
This is my first. it is a pristine MAK 90 I got it with a Type 56 norinco SKS as well . The alleged story is neither were fired the guy I got them from said. He got them from an doomsday uncle who passed before doomsday came and never shot them and the nephew said he never shot them either.

From what I read I did good. I like the fact the mak 90 is 1.5mm steel so it will be resistant to trigger pin metal wear and other fatigue problems thinner steel has.

I traded for an old motorcycle that needed a complete teardown because EVERY gasket on it leaked and spedo didnt work was worth maybe 800 ??

Anyway I dig the platform . I've already had someone offer me a ruger 556 AR for both but I dont think im going to get rid of these.

The mak I will convert to 922(r) compliant pistol grip because the rear of the thumb hole grip is squared off and really uncomfortable.

This mak is a straight cut receiver too so I got lucky again. The SKS I think Im just going to add a couple tapco 20 rd mags . maybe the tapco stock.

So here they are.

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1486&d=1341346191

Helen Keller
07-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Pretty up the MAK, I'd check out ironwood and get a US made . chinese set, pricey but makes it look immaculate.

Good deal on it being straight cut too. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Leave the SKS alone, Tapco and SKS should never be used in the same hemisphere.

Gh0zt36
07-03-2012, 03:32 PM
lol why no tapco and SKS ? I really just want the detachable 20 rd magazines ..... I dont like the duck bill fixed mag

stinker
07-03-2012, 04:17 PM
I tried some detachable mags on an sks i used to have. More of a pain in the rear honestly. I liked it as is more in the end.

Pretty MAK too.

Welcome to the boards

Gh0zt36
07-03-2012, 05:56 PM
I tried some detachable mags on an sks i used to have. More of a pain in the rear honestly. I liked it as is more in the end.

Pretty MAK too.

Welcome to the boards

Thanks man . I love the mak . So what ya have trouble with ? Just getting used to hooking that protrusion on the mag into place or did it not function well?

Tomac yokctep
07-03-2012, 06:13 PM
So if your new to the AK what other types of firearms have you been interested in ?

imanaknut
07-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

I added your photo for those like me who are too lazy to click on links.

Nice family!

Gh0zt36
07-03-2012, 10:54 PM
I shoot alot of hanguns. Traditional archery , Just never had many rifles. But the 7.62 is pretty cheap . figured the sk would be a fun range gun.

Gh0zt36
07-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Thanks for fixin it . cool forum ya got here !

stinker
07-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Thanks man . I love the mak . So what ya have trouble with ? Just getting used to hooking that protrusion on the mag into place or did it not function well?

Just clunky feeling to me. It allways was really. I had the detachables on it for quite a while and one day decided that if i want a rifle with detachable mags i should go get one, so i did and bought my mak :roflmao:

El Laton Caliente
07-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Not a bad trade at all. Unbanning the MAK90 would be nice. Leave the SKS alone; I've never seen an aftermarket SKS mag that wouldn't make one jam...

alismith
07-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Nice guns you have there, but if they've never been fired, and you want to keep them in a condition that would command top dollar, then I wouldn't change a thing on the MAK. Leave it as is. It'll be worth more should you decide to trade it, or sell it.

However, they're your guns, and you can do whatever you want with them. If you really have to have a Chinese AK, then check around and find one that wasn't neutered. They're out there, but they're pricey. Unaltered MAKs are starting to get pricey, too.

Gh0zt36
07-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Aint that the truth . On my local trading website , kinda a craigslist for guns they are fetching between 7-800 O.O I wish I had the box for mine. And tomorrow Im getting another norinco sks with 30 & 40 rd mags and original mag original stock in beautiful shape and a ramline side folder. So Ill make that my plinking gun . and not shoot or mod the other norinco SKS I got. I love tham . I always appreciated the asthetics of the AK platform. IMHO they are much easier on the eyes than a mechanical monstrocity tacti-cool AR . Maybe I can find another mak90 to mod out too so I can keep this one stock .

El Laton Caliente
07-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Let's see... bought a second SKS and looking for another AK... He's hooked!

imanaknut
07-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Yep, the addiction has definitely struck!

FunkyPertwee
07-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Getting a MAK-90 and a Chinese SKS at once is awesome! Its like a matching set.

I suggest you learn to use cheap stripper clips with the SKS. Its a very affordable way to "speed load" your SKS.

Gh0zt36
07-19-2012, 02:51 AM
Getting a MAK-90 and a Chinese SKS at once is awesome! Its like a matching set.

I suggest you learn to use cheap stripper clips with the SKS. Its a very affordable way to "speed load" your SKS.

I'm sorry I havn't replied guys . I checked a couple times an no movement . but Uh I decided to keep my p239 :/ But still im definitely hooked. I finally shot them and whoooa boy ... are those things fun to shoot. I got some golden bear soft tips few boxes trying golden tiger next wanna see which they like the most. and then ill pick up a 500rder .

I digress , So I decided to keep the sks stock. I've heard lotta bad things about after market mags. The tapco 20 rders made specifically are supposed to be decent but Most report the best results with stock mags so I'm going to take funky's advice and get some stripper clips. Couldn't be happier with the purchase. I'm happy I went with the AK platform instead of an AR .