PDA

View Full Version : The wonderful Kalashnikov

gpwasr10
07-09-2012, 01:37 AM
Just did some weapons cleaning today, my Mini-14, SMLE No. 5 MkI, Arsenal SGL21-66, Makarov and XD-45 Tac. I gotta say, having not cleaned an AK in awhile, and for a Semi auto, you gotta love how easy AK's are to clean and maintain. The Mini isn't bad, but having to take apart that BHO assembly to get the gun apart would be a PITA in the field. There just isn't anything easy to loose with the AK, and everything is pretty easy to get to.

Granted, my Jungle Carbine was even easier; but it isn't an auto-loader.

FunkyPertwee
07-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Aks are a snap. Unfortunately, a few of mine have tight as shit gas-tube levers and lower handguard retainers. That sort of fucks it up in that you need needle nose pliers to get the lower handguards off. I just use the cleaning kit tube as a cheater-bar to turn the gas-tube lever.

Focused Gunfire
07-10-2012, 06:30 PM
My first big center fire rifle was an AK, I think it spoiled me a little bit with how simple it was.

gpwasr10
07-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Aks are a snap. Unfortunately, a few of mine have tight as shit gas-tube levers and lower handguard retainers. That sort of fucks it up in that you need needle nose pliers to get the lower handguards off. I just use the cleaning kit tube as a cheater-bar to turn the gas-tube lever.

I've got the MI Quad rail on mine, so I just run a rag with solvent down the gas system when I am cleaning it, taking it off would be a huge pain in the ass.

Silicon Wolverine
07-15-2012, 10:55 AM
you mean you need to clean an AK?

SW

gpwasr10
07-16-2012, 10:52 PM
you mean you need to clean an AK?

SW

I like it to look pretty... like all those squeaky clean AR's at the range... ;-)