PDA

View Full Version : To hot to shoot so I built me a rifle rack instead

old Grump
07-09-2012, 03:40 AM
Needed to get some guns out of my room because I was tripping over them so I built in a 13 gun rack and room for a few ammo cans into my coat closet. Was kind of proud of it when I was done. Put the guns in and hung all the coats back up, my outdoor coats and hunting clothes, and cold weather hunting boots then realized the big dummy didn't take a picture. Then I remembered I lost my camera coming back from my moms funeral and guess what I did the rest of the day. My brother found it almost by accident, he picked up one of our bags we packed our stuff in and it fell into his lap, I had checked it half a dozen times. So much for powers of observation and searching skills. So I ain't taking all them coats down but I have a Jim dandy rack for my shotguns and most of trucker brothers rifles. There is a rumor at the weather bureau it might only get up to 91 tomorrow so I will try and shoot July's challenge match. Hope you guys can join me and get some targets up. I'm beginning to think nobody on this board shoots anymore.

Schuetzenman
07-09-2012, 05:56 AM
Sounds nice OG. On shooting, not much due to; 1. The garden, 2. heat, 3. wife, 4. cost of ammo.

alismith
07-09-2012, 03:42 PM
You could have drawn a picture....;)

old Grump
07-09-2012, 07:46 PM
You could have drawn a picture....;)
Coming right up, give me a few minutes

BISHOP
07-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Have the ammo, but not shooting because of 1) where I m currently renting. 2) My ammo is sitting ready for the comming revolution in 1-2 years. (need to keep he family protected.
BUT, I am now under contract for a house so mabey in 45 days I'll be opening :)

BISHOP

old Grump
07-09-2012, 08:52 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg24/scaled.php?server=24&filename=riflerack.png&res=landing

Coats in front completely hides the rack and the boots on the bottom hide the bottom of the rack and the ammo storage area. 13 spaces for a few shotguns and rifles. Not as secure as a safe but what I can afford and it takes a bunch of guns out of my room.

alismith
07-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Nice, to both the drawing and the idea. :thumbsup:

El Laton Caliente
07-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Aw, I won't belive it without the pictures... ;^)

old Grump
07-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Aw, I won't belive it without the pictures... ;^):bat:You come move all those insulated hunting vests, coats and coveralls and remove all the boots and I will take the picture, then you better put them back in the same order they come out or else....

American Rage
07-10-2012, 09:10 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg24/scaled.php?server=24&filename=riflerack.png&res=landing

Coats in front completely hides the rack and the boots on the bottom hide the bottom of the rack and the ammo storage area. 13 spaces for a few shotguns and rifles. Not as secure as a safe but what I can afford and it takes a bunch of guns out of my room.

I like it. Hmmmm, gives me an idea or two.

gpwasr10
07-12-2012, 02:55 AM
:bat:You come move all those insulated hunting vests, coats and coveralls and remove all the boots and I will take the picture, then you better put them back in the same order they come out or else....
Don't do it man! That's how he traps you! He gets you cornered into that closet, then he keeps you trapped, making you listen to stories that start with "Back in the good old days...." and "Back in my day..."

LOL

AKTexas
07-12-2012, 12:38 PM
:bat:You come move all those insulated hunting vests, coats and coveralls and remove all the boots and I will take the picture, then you better put them back in the same order they come out or else....

I thought real a woodsman did not need all that silly keep you warm crap? Then again I'm in Texas and we rarely have the need for anything more than a light wind breaker.

old Grump
07-12-2012, 12:50 PM
I thought real a woodsman did not need all that silly keep you warm crap? Then again I'm in Texas and we rarely have the need for anything more than a light wind breaker.I still have my real, (old and wool), woodsmen coats but I'm to dang old to wear them heavy buggers anymore. Nothing wrong with Gore-tex insulation, it was a most wonderful invention for us codger types and Pak boots rate right up alongside them as a very welcome addition to my closet.

davepool
07-13-2012, 02:11 PM
What's a winter coat?

old Grump
07-13-2012, 06:56 PM
What's a winter coat?Come up to the little hut in the woods say about January 15 for some shooting and hot coffee and I will introduce you to the concept of long johns, insulated boots, shooting jugs of ice water in below zero temps and frosty eyebrows. Tell me your size, chances are I can outfit you. Nothing like the crack of a 44 magnum and the smell of gunpowder in the cool clean air of a Wisconsin winter.
:coffee::coffee:

Full Otto
07-23-2012, 07:03 PM
I still have my real, (old and wool), woodsmen coats but I'm to dang old to wear them heavy buggers anymore. Nothing wrong with Gore-tex insulation, it was a most wonderful invention for us codger types and Pak boots rate right up alongside them as a very welcome addition to my closet.

Well now you got me interested in seeing a picture of your coats.

Nephews planning on coming down next weekend with a buddy from Wi. for some trap shooting
Hope weather holds up he really likes the 20 ga I got him for Christmas.
Might try some targets, we'll see

old Grump
07-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Well now you got me interested in seeing a picture of your coats.

Nephews planning on coming down next weekend with a buddy from Wi. for some trap shooting
Hope weather holds up he really likes the 20 ga I got him for Christmas.
Might try some targets, we'll seePorch light is always on and the coffee is always hot.

O.S.O.K.
07-23-2012, 07:43 PM
What I need is a gun room with a spell cast on it like the tents in Harry Potter. :D

For those of you pretending not to know or genuinely ignorant of what I am saying, the tents look small on the outside but when you enter them, they are actually large rooms with all the comforts of home.

I built a special room for my guns and ammo but it is filling up very quickly...

Durangokid
07-23-2012, 11:24 PM
It is cool here in the High Country of SW Wyoming. My place is at 7,000' and its Monsoon season. The Mtn. Showers every afternoon. Nights in the 40s and days in the 70s. Winters are rough .

Full Otto
08-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Well they showed up and we had a great time.
It was comfortable but still hot. We got mostly trap in but the barrels get pretty hot quick so between rounds we went rifle.
Didn't get paper up, which was just as well for me, I was lucky if I hit dirt to be honest but I did break out some Tannerite.
After the first couple booms they decided to start filming. My nephew just posted a couple quick vids for me.
Good time, good company.
Here's the first

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObuIVPzZmVg&feature=youtu.be

Full Otto
08-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Second one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51lCR4_5yVU&feature=youtu.be

old Grump
08-03-2012, 02:07 PM
But where is your rifle rack? You gotta have a rifle rack if you gonna post on a rifle rack thread.

Full Otto
08-03-2012, 04:56 PM
This is as close as I have.

http://i46.tinypic.com/34zn3gi.jpg

I can roll it out from the bin whenever we have a get together.
Can it count?

old Grump
08-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Rifle rack, sun umbrella holder, lunch table, room for your ammo , gotta love it. Thank you for not painting it tactical camo.

mrkalashnikov
08-04-2012, 09:47 AM

I have a decent-size walk-in closet in my home office that I think would be perfect for a setup similar to this. Thanks, OG.

mrkalashnikov
08-04-2012, 09:48 AM
This is as close as I have.

http://i46.tinypic.com/34zn3gi.jpg

I can roll it out from the bin whenever we have a get together.
Can it count?

That's prett clever too Otto, lol.

recon
08-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Your right Old Grump! It is to HOT to shoot! Soon as FALL gets here it will be good to get out and shoot.

old Grump
08-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Went out today and shot my single six, Couldn't hit the broad side of the barn and it was perfect shooting conditions except for the wind. I have shot in worse and that was no excuse. Guess I should have stayed in the shop and cleaned guns instead, I been making a lot of them dirty lately. Maybe better yet tomorrow I make that second closet gun rack I have been thinking about.

Full Otto
08-01-2015, 06:58 PM
Rifle rack, sun umbrella holder, lunch table, room for your ammo , gotta love it. Thank you for not painting it tactical camo.

OK it's been three years now since the old boy mentioned it
Been bugging me long enough so I finally got the umbrella and used it today.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2gy62ad.jpg

last minute call and the two regulars showed up
And Grump wherever you are, it's still grey no camo

ltorlo64
08-01-2015, 07:57 PM
I like the man cave. And that is a great idea for an old spool.

mrkalashnikov
08-01-2015, 08:07 PM
I hope to come down & check out all your nice layout before we both get much older. ;)

BISHOP
08-01-2015, 08:09 PM
Holly resurrection bat man.

Hey I have one more comment to make, but I'll wait 3 years first........ :)

BISHOP

Viking350
08-01-2015, 08:16 PM
I'm sure this brought a smile to old grump's face where ever he is.

Schuetzenman
08-01-2015, 08:36 PM
Damn shame Old Grump passed away, he was always good to liven things up.

Full Otto
08-01-2015, 09:59 PM
I hope to come down & check out all your nice layout before we both get much older. ;)

I thought of that today even mentioned you to the guys, you're more than welcome but the last two times (one in the rain) where too last minute
We'll get you there

Holly resurrection bat man.

Hey I have one more comment to make, but I'll wait 3 years first........ :)

BISHOP

Great I just get one thing off my mind now I have this to wonder about
Oh well gives me something to keep going, looking forward to it

l921428x
08-02-2015, 04:16 PM
OK it's been three years now since the old boy mentioned it
Been bugging me long enough so I finally got the umbrella and used it today.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2gy62ad.jpg

last minute call and the two regulars showed up
And Grump wherever you are, it's still grey no camo

Perfect, just as OG knew. Now lets eat.