PDA

View Full Version : Super new here. Ak47 question. Please help

HARLEY69
07-11-2012, 04:51 PM
I was just offered a ak47 for a go kart I have on craigs list. I had a 44 years ago but nothing like AK. I live in Indiana and was wondering If I could even own one or what would I have to do. I told him I would think about it. Thanks so much, The new guy.

Schuetzenman
07-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Well just to be clear it probably isn't a real Ak-47 as that would be an NFA select fire grade weapon. We can own semi auto, 1 trgger pull = 1 bullet fired simulated AK type weapons. In Indiana you should be just fine to own a semi. Likely ones you could encounter for sale; Romanian GPWASR-10 rifles, Chinese made Mak 90 variants, Bulgarian variants possibly, SAIGA brand Russsian made variants. Century Arms from VT made many variants and imported more as well from Romania. Original Romanian semi-auto versions of the AK were the: SAR-1 in 7.62x39 chambering, SAR-2 in 5.45x39 and SAR-3 in .223 chambering. If you are lucky enough that it might be a pre 1990 ban Chicom rifle it could possibly be very cost effective to swap the go kart.

Prices are in the $450 to $800 buck range for semi-auto AK / AKM type weapons. Preban (pre 1990) Chinese weapons often bring more than $1,000 each in value. We really can't tell you more unless you get the following information on it: Nation of origin, model number, importers mark / name. Condition; example mint, very good, like new etc. and what gear comes with it, example; magazines, bayonet, sling, cleaing kit etc.

Lastly, welcome to Gunsnet.net!

Full Otto
07-11-2012, 06:48 PM
I believe South Bend put an ordinance in effect earlier this year or last year.
I can't find much on it other than older articles which talk about a round capacity law that they had on the books.
The only thing that sounds close is this release at Cheaper than Dirt which seems to be what I'm thinking of

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/blog/Articles/FirearmLaws/Indiana_South_Bend_Municipal_Firearm_Laws/index.php
13-97. Restrictions on the possession and manufacturing of assault weapons.
(a) No person may manufacture any assault weapon, as defined herein, within the City of South Bend.
(b) No person may possess any loaded assault weapon, as defined herein, within the City of South Bend, except as specifically provided herein.
(c) No person may manufacture or possess any magazine with a capacity of more than fifteen (15) rounds for assault weapons within the City of South Bend, except as specifically provided herein.

13-98. Requirements for transporting and possessing unloaded assault weapons.
(a) Any person who owns any assault weapon as defined herein must:
(1) Keep a flag safety (i.e., plastic tie or chamber plug) properly in place so that the chamber is plugged resulting in the firing pin being blocked at all times;
(2) Keep said assault weapon unloaded at all times; and
(3) Keep said assault weapon in a gun slip, glove, or case so that it is inoperable and secured at all times with a gun tie or padlock; except when using such weapon at a City licensed shooting or firing range as specifically provided herein.
(b) Any person who owns any assault weapon must keep all of its ammunition and magazines separate from the assault weapon, and in a secured container, except as specifically provided herein.

If you don't live there then just ignore this whole post
Welcome and hope it turns out to be a good deal for you