PDA

View Full Version : Gun show trend on ak mags?

newakguy
07-12-2012, 09:33 PM
I attended the local gun show, first time as an ak owner, to hopefully get a few different samples of ak mags to see which I/my rifle liked. What I came to notice was every single ak magazine at every stall had a sticker or was hand written on "Bulgarian." I mean every 30 and 40 round steel mag I saw, as well as every polymer other than the tapcos I saw. (Im guessing it would be hard to call a tapco a bulgarian with the tapco logo in the mag) Is this normal? No circle 10's or us palms where anywhere to be seen. Oh it was the west palm show this passed weekend.

-Ben

FunkyPertwee
07-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Circle 10's would just be more Bulgarian.

I'm surprised there were no unmarked Euro steel mags.

imanaknut
07-13-2012, 12:03 AM
You usually have to check the proof marks on metal AK mags to figure out where they come from. There are subtle differences among them as well. Somewhere is a sticky that shows the different AK mags.

The easiest to tell from the others is the Chinese mag which does not have the spine (normally because there are a couple of Chinese mags with spines floating around).

I guess show people thing Bulgies are better than others, which is not true because when it comes to metal factory made AK mags they are pretty much all the same quality wise.

stinker
07-13-2012, 01:20 AM
Suprised you did'nt see any of the gray metal Korean mags. They were all over the place last time i went.

Schuetzenman
07-13-2012, 05:55 AM
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MAK47E30&name=Surplus+European+Steel+AK47+7.62x39+30rd+Maga zines&groupid=15
Says European mags with metal followers. Good enough in my opinion. Also they have used Yugo mags with last round bolt hold open follower. IMO the BEST of the best. I hate hearing a click because the bolt closed on nothing with the AK series of weapons. These Yugo mags take care of that because when they catch the bolt you will feel the difference in recoil from the rifle and understand it's mag change time. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MAK47SR&name=Surplus+Yugoslavian+Steel+AK47+7.62x39+30rd+M agazines&groupid=15 Awe crap they are sold out. But if I were you I'd sine up for notification should they get them back in stock again.

Crash
07-13-2012, 04:35 PM
They call the mags from the first link "chugos" . They are sold as being from Yugoslavia but they are chinese manufactured. Great mags overall unless you dont like chinese products.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MAK47E30&name=Surplus+European+Steel+AK47+7.62x39+30rd+Maga zines&groupid=15
Says European mags with metal followers. Good enough in my opinion. Also they have used Yugo mags with last round bolt hold open follower. IMO the BEST of the best. I hate hearing a click because the bolt closed on nothing with the AK series of weapons. These Yugo mags take care of that because when they catch the bolt you will feel the difference in recoil from the rifle and understand it's mag change time. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MAK47SR&name=Surplus+Yugoslavian+Steel+AK47+7.62x39+30rd+M agazines&groupid=15 Awe crap they are sold out. But if I were you I'd sine up for notification should they get them back in stock again.

newakguy
07-13-2012, 06:39 PM
I bought 2 metal "eastern Euro" mags from CTD 2 weeks ago. They were as advertised but had slight pitting on one and some minor rusting on the other. At the show this weekend I bought another metal 30 along with a metal 40 and poly 40, lol all of which were labled as bulgarian. The metal 30 looks almost identical to the other 30s I recieved from CTD, none of them having any stampings so I need to compare ribs etc, to figure out where they are all from. The poly 40 is really weird looking and doesnt feel very sturdy. ItI 's not one of the us palms and it definately isnt a circle magazine because there are no markings on it. I don't think the metal 40 had any indicators on it as well but was in very good condition. Overall Im happy with the stuff I found. I am sure if any of it, the poly is actually a bulgy, albeit cheap one though. They all fit remarkably better than the 2 tapcos I first bought.

Is there any difference or preference in the circle 10 mags comparing the smooth side to the waffle poly mags?

Sergi762
07-13-2012, 06:41 PM
They call the mags from the first link "chugos" . They are sold as being from yugoslavian but they are chinese manufactured. Great mags unless you dont like chinese products.

Chinese manufactured??? Hold on now, I though Chinese arms, ammunition and related goods where banned from import?

Schuetzenman
07-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Chinese manufactured??? Hold on now, I though Chinese arms, ammunition and related goods where banned from import?

They are from direct import. However if you can prove it's been in a nuetral country for over 5 years, you can get it in eventually.

Crash
07-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Thats the opinion of some, the other theory is that they are Albanian manufactured on chinese tooling. Either way they refer to them as "chugos" and they are pretty good mags at that price.

WB!
08-15-2012, 04:30 PM
The waffle poly Bulgarian is better then the smooth side poly Bulgarian. The waffle has more steel reinforcement, and is military. The smooth side is civilian. Both are good, but the waffle is better. This is for 7.62 mags.