PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Replacement Triggers

ltorlo64
07-12-2012, 11:07 PM
I was looking at triggers today and saw some that were just "drop in" triggers. Instead of having to put the trigger together, it is a unit that just drops in. Does anyone have any experience with these kind of triggers?

Schuetzenman
07-13-2012, 05:46 AM
Sorry no experience here with the modular trigger systems. I either un stock single stage triggers or a Jewell 2-Stage match trigger systems in my AR rifles.

ltorlo64
07-13-2012, 10:28 AM
I was ready to get a Rock River Armory 2-stage that Krupski or Kadmos had recommended when I saw these and wondered how they worked. I will still probably go with the Rock River, but information is never bad.

Krupski
07-13-2012, 10:33 AM
I was looking at triggers today and saw some that were just "drop in" triggers. Instead of having to put the trigger together, it is a unit that just drops in. Does anyone have any experience with these kind of triggers?

A "drop in" trigger has several advantages AND disadvantages:

Advantages:
(1) Easy to install
(2) No rotational forces applied to the pins (won't wear out your receiver)
(3) [Usually] pre-aligned and tuned for a nice trigger pull

Disadvantages:
(1) SOME brands do not have detent wires in them, requiring axis pins with external screws or E-Clips
(2) Must be removed to do a complete cleaning
(3) SOME brands won't fit in Colt Blue Label rifles due to the stupid "sear block" installed in them

I bought several different brands years ago during the great "try to find a good AR trigger" project. I ended up not liking any of the modular ones.

This is the one I finally ended up liking and using (Rock River Arms): http://vtsupply.com/images/nmtrggNEW.gif

Notice that the sear grabs the hammer up high (rather than close to the center of the hammer pin). This GREATLY reduces trigger pull, creep and grittiness. It's a VERY nice trigger set.

ltorlo64
07-13-2012, 12:16 PM
A "drop in" trigger has several advantages AND disadvantages:

Advantages:
(1) Easy to install
(2) No rotational forces applied to the pins (won't wear out your receiver)
(3) [Usually] pre-aligned and tuned for a nice trigger pull

Disadvantages:
(1) SOME brands do not have detent wires in them, requiring axis pins with external screws or E-Clips
(2) Must be removed to do a complete cleaning
(3) SOME brands won't fit in Colt Blue Label rifles due to the stupid "sear block" installed in them

I bought several different brands years ago during the great "try to find a good AR trigger" project. I ended up not liking any of the modular ones.

This is the one I finally ended up liking and using (Rock River Arms): http://vtsupply.com/images/nmtrggNEW.gif

Notice that the sear grabs the hammer up high (rather than close to the center of the hammer pin). This GREATLY reduces trigger pull, creep and grittiness. It's a VERY nice trigger set.

That was the one I have pretty much decided on. Hadn't seen the modular ones until yesterday and they looked intriguing. My concern, which you amplified, is that nothing is ever as plug and play as it is described. I still think the one you recommended is the best for what I want.

nfa1934
07-13-2012, 01:41 PM
I have Timneys in three of my ARs. Love them. Huge improvement over stock. They were plug and play in a Bushmaster and two Spikes. Had an issue trying to put one in a DPMS LR308T, but I think the problem was with the receiver not the trigger unit. The same Timney later dropped into a Bushmaster with no problems. The Timneys aren't quite as good as the Geissele I ended up using in the DPMS, but they aren't that far off. The difference between the Timneys and the Geissele isn't as great as the difference between either one and a stock trigger.

Tx Dogblaster
07-13-2012, 02:52 PM
I have 2 Chip McCormick triggers for my AR's... I have a 2 stage in my varmint rifle and a single stage yet to be installed... Simple to install and ZERO complaints from me...