PDA

View Full Version : Obsidian Knife

ltorlo64
07-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Got this for my birthday from my wife. It is the second stone knife I have.

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww19/ltorlo64/obsidianknife2.jpg

Schuetzenman
07-13-2012, 06:00 AM
When the Deocraps get us back to the Stone Age you'll be ahead of the arms curve! :D

Dr. Gonzo GED
07-13-2012, 05:24 PM
I like it!

old Grump
07-13-2012, 06:49 PM
You done got yourself a good wife their Commander.

Now I have to know, how does it cut? I know I am a heathen but heathens want to know these things.

ltorlo64
07-13-2012, 07:07 PM
You done got yourself a good wife their Commander.

Now I have to know, how does it cut? I know I am a heathen but heathens want to know these things.

I will tell you this is a show piece, no ententional cutting to be done. I have checked the sharpness of the blade though. Not razor sharp, but it would definately cut you if you are not careful. The way the obsidian was chipped made the rock into a serrated edge, so cutting a tomato with it would not be a difficult thing.

Rock knife blades are very brittle so this is a collectors piece, only use in an emergency.

old Grump
07-13-2012, 07:26 PM
You aren't even a little bit tempted to see how it would cut a bath towel in half, cut through a cotton rope or slice through a leather belt? :firedevil:You know you want to, you know you do.

Dr. Gonzo GED
07-13-2012, 09:29 PM
You aren't even a little bit tempted to see how it would cut a bath towel in half, cut through a cotton rope or slice through a leather belt? :firedevil:You know you want to, you know you do.
It would be worth knapping out a few blades to see, but you wouldn't want to do it with something so pretty.

FWIW, obsidian suposedly knaps down to the sharpest possible edge known. (monomolecular) But it's so brittle that this edge chips in a stupid hurry.

ltorlo64
07-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Not only is it obsidian, it is spiderweb obsidian. In the picture you can see lines in the blade from the volcanic cooling process. It is really one of a kind so I am being very careful with it.

old Grump
07-13-2012, 11:25 PM
Then it's a good thing you have it because a heathen would have had to try and cut something. Guns is to shoot and knives is to cut and if they ain't doing it well to my little Bohunk way of thinking they ain't guns or knives. Told you I is a heathen.:naughty:

etp777
07-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Beautiful. Trying out knapping is on my short list of projects that need to be done here sometime. I sure wouldn't be touching a piece of obsidian like that for a LONG time though.

Dr. Gonzo GED
07-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Beautiful. Trying out knapping is on my short list of projects that need to be done here sometime. I sure wouldn't be touching a piece of obsidian like that for a LONG time though.

Why not? Get yourself to an area with lots of volcanic history and you can find plenty of big obsidian rocks to play with for free!

Do't worry about it. God made em for you. There's more where they came from.

etp777
07-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Oh, if I could find them locally I definitely would, but not a lot of volcanos in Chicago. :) So if I was going to have to pay for it, I'd want to practice on something cheaper like knapping glass first (or just load up the truck with flint next time I'm visiting friends in the Ozarks)