PDA

View Full Version : Need a great AK in the $700 range.

Mainer
07-19-2012, 01:29 AM
Been comparing these 2 rifles on Atlantic Firearms....any ideas? Which is better and why sort of stuff.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1068.aspx

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1057.aspx

Also, anyone know any better AK's for the money that I want to spend, or where I can get these same rifle for less? I'm new to this AK stuff, as I already do or have owned everything else. I'm a former Marine rifle/pistol coach and am now a Police Officer. I want the most gun for my money and just want an AK that shoots as well as I do (or think that I do).

Thanks guys / gals,

Mainer

blade
07-19-2012, 05:07 AM
Welcome Mainer & thanks for your service!!!!!!! ( past/present )

I think most all Kalashnikovs' are gr8. That said, I think you'll like most any version.
Of the two you linked.....I believe the top one is a Saiga. Lot of fans of the Saiga.
I don't have a clue to the bottom one.

Ol' imaaknut will be around shortly & give ya the straight skinny on the Kalashnikov.

Be safe!!!!!!!!!

:animatedsalute:

stinker
07-19-2012, 05:58 AM
Both are great looking rifles. You could quite hapliiy provide a loving home for either one i think.

Welcome to the boards.

FunkyPertwee
07-19-2012, 06:39 AM
The Russian one ($759) is going to come with a chromed bore, while the "Polish" uses a US made barrel I believe.

Personally, I'd go for the Russian.

Schuetzenman
07-19-2012, 06:49 AM
I like your first one linked for the reasons pointed out and the laminated stock which wasn't pointed out. A converted Saiga uses a basic rifle that is built in Russia and is going to be the closest to an actual AKM. Nothing like having real Russian arsenal proof marks on the receiver.

videodon
07-19-2012, 11:13 AM
I like your first one linked for the reasons pointed out and the laminated stock which wasn't pointed out. A converted Saiga uses a basic rifle that is built in Russia and is going to be the closest to an actual AKM. Nothing like having real Russian arsenal proof marks on the receiver.

+1
:)

imanaknut
07-19-2012, 01:28 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Like others have said, the rifle in link "1068" is a Saiga and a true Russian manufacture that once in this country was converted to look like a true AKM except like all imported rifles, to stay within the sporting purpose clause of the new second amendment, it only has 10 Russian parts, the remaining 6 are US made, but the most important, the barreled receiver is Russian, with all the markings of a Russian AKM except with a Saiga name. Still a great rifle.

If you want to save money, the Polish version shown in link "1057" is a very good looking representation of the AKM, and like the Russian, it too is a combination of parts to maintain the ATF unconstitutional approval as a sporting rifle and not an "evil assault rifle" (what ever that is). This rifle is built on a US receiver right here in the good old USA and is much cheaper than the Saiga, so is having a true Russian worth the extra money?

I leave that up to you, personally I like the looks of the Polish, but like the idea of having a true Russian as the basis of my US legal AKM variant.

That said, for $800 you can buy a Norinco MAK-90, replace the Bush-hole stock with a standard pistol grip arrangement and experience what is arguably the best factory trigger of any commercial AK imported into the land of shall not be infringed.

Oh, and THANK YOU for your service to this great country!!!!!!!!!

Helen Keller
07-19-2012, 01:42 PM
IMHO for the $700 range I'd be all over a 1960 Milled Polish.

filthy phil
07-21-2012, 10:04 AM
i'm getting a zastava pap ak. also avaiable from atlantic. i was able to inspect it at my lgs and it's built like a tank.
i'd stay away from us reciever ak's