PDA

View Full Version : took the plunge.

jakebrake
07-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Hey folks! new to the world of Kalashnikov. just picked up a wasr 10/63. (or 10...not 100% sure) have typical stupid noob questions, so please bear with me.

ok. the muzzle brake. how hard are they to replace? ( doesn't have a v, and, call it crazy, but i'm thinking flash surpressor.)

is there a database for serial numbers, or any other way to learn more about it's history?

the stock is kinda short for my reach (it's the standard length), but i kinda like the wood stock (currently) does anyone make a longer wood stock?

what upgrades are logical/sensical verses pure b.s.? (not trying to start a flame ...just opinions that seem to have a common thread...from what i hear, the g2 trigger is a no-brainer go for it upgrade as an example....but speaking of...)

the g2 trigger...one hook vs two?

i'm sure i'll be asking a lot more, but i thank you for any and all opinions.

O.S.O.K.
07-25-2012, 05:30 PM
:welcome: to the board.

If you have a 10/63, the muzzle device is simply screwed on - you depress the pin at the top and screw to the right (left hand threads). There are two makers of longer wooden buttstocks that I know of - Ironwood and Timbersmith. Both are good quality products from what I've heard - I've purchased the Ironwood and they are for sure good quality.

Common sense upgrades... well, that's very much a personal preferrence thing.

A decent flash supressor is a good idea. There are several different types available. A good quality sling - many choose the Russian milsurp variety. An adjustable rear sight is handy - this is a rear sight leaf with windage adjustment such as you'd find on a RPK. And there are all kinds of optics mounts... if you want to go that route.

If you have a 10/63, it should have a good trigger already. The older WASR's and SAR's definately needed a new fire control group. My preference is double hook.

Hope that helps.

jakebrake
07-25-2012, 05:41 PM
thanks for the response. actually , it does. there are so many variants to aks, it seems. figured i should ask the folks whov'e done it a time or two.

FunkyPertwee
07-25-2012, 06:17 PM
A flash suppressor, and maybe an optic of some type is about all you need. Use a cheap barrel-clamp pic rail on your gas tube as a simple light mounting point. Also make sure you have a sling. Upgrade to G2 trigger if it didn't come stock. Make sure to stock up on military surplus magazines and cheap imported ammunition.

AK rifles should remain as simple as possible, IMO. In order to maintain the strong points it was designed around.

Here are some links to an optic and a pistol grip.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XRSCOMBO&name=Vortex+Strikefire+w%2f+RS+AKM+Mount+Package&groupid=64

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XUSPAKBGBRN&name=US+Palm+AK-BG+AK+Grip+Brown&groupid=64

O.S.O.K.
07-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Definately go with eastern block steel mags - they are the best in most everyone's opinion. Tapco mags are ok but the original steel mags rock.

If you want more specifics on muzzle devices, etc. - just post away. It all depends on wether or not you want more "authentic" types or just a good one that will work the best. I have a tapco m-16 type on my otherwise stock 10/63 UF and it works very well - one of the more economical choices out there...

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5307/5590910742_8a3746c535_z.jpg

jakebrake
07-27-2012, 04:06 PM
update. there is nothing on the end of the barrel. i'm guessing it is ban era?

jakebrake
07-28-2012, 10:38 AM
ok....after some digging around, i'm thinking it is a wasr 10 high capacitry model 2. yes, the magazines wiggle, no, i'm not losing sleep over that fact....but.

that can be fixed i assume?

and, for a muzzle brake, the barrel end can be threaded (left hand threads) to accept one, right? (of course, the barrel length can't go under 16 inches, blah blah)? or should i just buy a new barrel?

yes, the trigger will need to go bye bye.

dbluefish
07-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Welcome to the fringe from that rare critter, a liberal AK owner. For lengthening the stock I just put on a slip on rubber butt pad. M16 style flash suppressor. Hogue pistol grip. And refinish the stock as the original wood can be made to look great and authentic and it will only cost a few hours of labor and a few dollars for supplies.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd153/dbluefish/AK47WAdditionsedited.jpg

paul

videodon
07-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Welcome to the fringe from that rare critter, a liberal AK owner. For lengthening the stock I just put on a slip on rubber butt pad. M16 style flash suppressor. Hogue pistol grip. And refinish the stock as the original wood can be made to look great and authentic and it will only cost a few hours of labor and a few dollars for supplies.
paul

Nice job and suggestions there Paul!
:)

jakebrake
07-31-2012, 07:09 PM

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd153/dbluefish/AK47WAdditionsedited.jpg

paul

political viewpoints aside, that's a damn good idea! as a temp, until i find poly furniture i like? damn goood idea! the only real issue at this point is gonna be the brake / suppressor. if i go ar style, it'd be a rh thread correct? and ak style is lh thread?