PDA

View Full Version : Brought her home today, You gotta check this it out!

Bamaslammer09
07-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Hello again my friends,

Finally got my Polytech AKS-762 Galil side folder home today! About to crack her open and inspect internaly, but wanted to post some pics first. Originally, the dealer told me that it didn't come with a box, just 3 mags included. I paid it off today ($$640 OTD!!!) and he brought the box out with it that included the cleaning kit and 3 poly mags (with chrome followers).

I'm just in awe of this thing, going to shoot it this weekend!

Please tell me what you think guys..

El Laton Caliente
07-31-2012, 11:06 AM
Did I mention I hate you? LOL...

You got that for about half the going rate. It is a great buy.

Bamaslammer09
07-31-2012, 11:34 AM
HAaha, thanks El Laton!

My polytech Ak is now my favorite gun now, needless to say.

(sigh) Ah, today is a good day...

videodon
07-31-2012, 12:21 PM
Awfully...nice!
You suck!
:)

imanaknut
07-31-2012, 12:53 PM
Congrats, but a warning, check that rifle over carefully. Look for witness marks from the bolt and carrier in the rear trunion, just under where the receiver cover locks in. Check for powder residue under and around the barrel on the inside of the receiver where it protrudes through the front trunion. Check the underside of the bolt carrier for cycling marks. Check the bolt face for the ring that is left by fired rounds. Check inside the gas tube for carbon residue. Check under the pin that protrudes from the front sight base that holds the muzzle device in place (on the sight base itself between the pin and threads).

If you find it appears to have not been used by an owner, you might think twice about shooting it. If it appears to have been fired, you might put a Blackjack buffer in it first.

There, you have an idea on how I determine if an AK variant has been fired, and depending on how much residue you find in each area, how much it has been fired to a point.

Bamaslammer09
08-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Imanaknut, thanks for your reply. I'm going to check the rifle over for carbon residue this morning.

Newbie question: If the rifle has been used you suggested to install a recoil buffer.. I have a trip to the range planned this weekend, Will the rifle be ok to shoot without the buffer for now? I believe your just saying to get the buffer to perserve (chinese) original internal parts.?

Thanks, I'm loving my new toy and getting great info from this site!

El Laton Caliente
08-01-2012, 09:12 AM
If it is unfired, the value went up several hundred and you lose that on the first trigger pull. That is why 'Nut wants you to check...

The buffer will greatly reduce wear on the rear trunion for further use. That is one of the design's wear parts/points on AK's.... It helps hold furture value and makes the rifle last longer.

Bamaslammer09
08-01-2012, 10:30 AM
This is what I found after checking the rifle over to see if its been fired or how much its been fired. Sorry, this posting is probably pretty boring for some.

I checked the barrel where it protrudes in front trunnion (Didn't see hardly anything.. quick swipe with a Qtip, pulled a spec of dirt). The handguard latch was tough but finally got it loose, gas tube had a little residue. Checked under pin of Front side base (muzzle device) looked to have little residue. I included pics of underside of bolt carrier, face of bolt, rear trunnion under where reciever cover snaps down.

My (rookie) Assessment: I think its been fired (used), but it doesnt have that many rounds thru it.

I may be way off the mark with that assessment, but overall the rifle looks really clean.

BTW, Can I add pics so they instantly show up in my posts or do you have to be admin??

Solidus-snake
08-01-2012, 10:56 AM
That's a good looking AK there man.

My only problem is... What's the point of an AK that you can't shoot? Lol I just couldn't own one that I couldn't shoot.

Bamaslammer09
08-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Totally agree with you snake. When I bought this Ak I had every intention of shooting it frequently. At this point, I dont think I have a Polytech AK NIB! So, I will be installing a recoil buffer and enjoying her on the range. I can always rotate between my Poly and Socom 16.

El Laton Caliente
08-01-2012, 11:11 AM
From what I can see that could be described as Excellent in box, test fired. The next best thing to NIB. My advice would be one cafeful range trip and stick the clean rifle in the safe. Go get a shooter.

Bamaslammer09
08-01-2012, 11:32 AM
That makes perfect sense to me to go buy another shooter Ak variant and perserve my high quality AK. On the other hand, why not shoot it and just enjoy this finely machined weapon on the range? Life is short my friend :cool: I'm still going to think on it a while... decisions decisions...
From what I can see that could be described as Excellent in box, test fired. The next best thing to NIB. My advice would be one cafeful range trip and stick the clean rifle in the safe. Go get a shooter.

imanaknut
08-01-2012, 11:40 AM
That bolt looks like it has only been factory tested.

If it had been fired by a previous owner, most people do not clean under the muzzle device retaining pin and a cleaning patch run between the pin and barrel, up against the front sight will turn black. The inside of the gas tube is very hard to clean completely, but a light gray again suggest minimum shooting.

Why would someone have any rifle that they keep as a safe queen? There are enough firearm collectors in this country that will pay a premium for a rifle in new or like new condition. You paid half the going rate for a Poly Tech side folder, so really if you want, you can still make a profit in the future if you shoot it, and because the Chinese AK market is still strong, some people won't care that it has been fired, and some might appreciate that so that they don't feel bad taking out the cream of the AK crop and enjoying it for what it was designed for.

Unfortunately in the US market, where we have free trade and the right that isn't infringed, the number of Chinese AK variants in this country is fixed, and the number of new in box or like new in box shrinks each time someone takes one and enjoys it. Personally I have Chinese AK variants that I can enjoy as a shooter, but as a collector I like reading when someone takes their new Chinese variant out of the box and shoots it, making mine more valuable. :D

Bamaslammer09
08-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Can I hear opinions on the value of this rifle if it is in fact test fired?? How much fellas??

El Laton Caliente
08-01-2012, 02:36 PM
I'd have a hard time passing on it in the $1,000 to $1,200 range. Most shops with collector traffic would have a price in the $1,400 area on it. NIB, I've seen $1,600/$1,800 asking, but they seldom get that price.

Bamaslammer09
08-01-2012, 03:48 PM
I appreciate all the feedback guys. I wish I had the money to get another "shooter" so I could safe queen this one. I'm way too impatient to save up money and not shoot this Poly. Like Imanaknut said, I could shoot it and sell it down the road. Although I have no plans of ever selling it.

insider
09-26-2012, 07:04 AM
$640 OTD???!!!! You Suck! Enjoy your new Poly.