PDA

View Full Version : New member, have questions. Thanks

Phase 1
08-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Hey there everyone. I just joined here because it looks like there is plenty of knowledgeable people who may be able to help me out with a problem I have. I have a Romanian pre-ban AK 47 GP/ WASR10/63. I believe I bought it from a place that typically deals with AR's, so they might've installed some things wrong on this. (Im also a "newbie" when it comes to knowing every individual part name and how to take them all apart so easily and HAVE NOT shot this rifle yet). But first the safety needed to be broken in, it required way too much pressure to push it down. That's the first thing I noticed (fixed now via turning it on and off a bunch of times). Secondly, it has a Tapco G2 trigger system, but the trigger pin I guess it's called with every pull of the trigger slightly loosens itself out towards the left side of the rifle. Thirdly, another pin forward of the trigger pin gets a little loose after a few more pulls of the trigger.. I'm no expert but I know that AK's are supposed to be very reliable and shouldn't be having pins unscrewing themselves.. I took it apart to get a closer look on the inside but can't figure out what the problem is. Also fourthly, it looks like the "hook" on the safety pin is on the wire and I can feel it in the trigger every time I pull it as if there's a LITTLE resistance. How should it be placed? Please if anyone can offer any help or ideas on how to fix this myself it'd be very appreciated. I want to be able to rely on my AK, hence why I bought it.

imanaknut
08-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

First, I hate to burst your bubble, but the WASR is far from a pre-ban rifle. It is in fact a response to the ATF stomping all over our second amendment. The 10/63s were built on new ATF approved single stack receivers using new but old Romanian parts, which is why you probably have one with a pre-Bush1 date stamped on the front trunion.

The trigger and hammer axis pins should not try to leave the rifle. There should be what is called a shepherd's hook that locks the pins in place. It looks like a piece of thin wire along the left side of the receiver and should ride in slots in the pins.

The safety lever on many AKs can be crazy tight, and I have had to bend them out slightly to get them to function as smoothly as can be done with the design.

If you can take and post a picture of your issue, it would help us figure out what the other issue might be, but it does seem like someone had the trigger group out and didn't reinstall it correctly.

Check here and see if this helps you figure out your problem, a great tutorial. http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/fcgremoval.shtml

deth502
08-05-2012, 08:04 PM
from how it sounds, i would guess that the retainer that is supposed to hold your trigger and hammer pins in is off and is the rouge part that you refer to as the "safety wire".

Phase 1
08-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Based on that link it's the hammer and trigger axis pins that loosen themselves. It looks like the shepherds hook is not there to hold them in place. I'll upload 2 pictures of the best angle I can try to get.. The first picture is of the 2 pins that loosen. The 2nd is the inside with just the spring taken out, the 3rd the left side of the rifle with what I believe is the shepherds hook.. The wire comes to close together on the trigger which was what the resistance was, I fixed that. My main concern is just getting those 2 pins to not loosen. The shepherds hook on the left side has to wrap around both the hammer and trigger axis pins grooves and still be able to provide a hole for the safety to fit in correct? I hope the pictures can help. I'm also going to look at that link you posted more when I have the time. I thank anyone who devotes a minute to help me with this. Sorry for being the new guy who doesn't know everything. I'm workin' on it.
http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1607&d=1344218576
http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1608&d=1344218576

imanaknut
08-05-2012, 10:28 PM
I added the two important photos to make it easier to reply.

The top picture looks like the hammer spring is not laying over the left arm of the trigger, but in the bottom picture it is in the right place, but that isn't the issue.

The shepherds hook that is attached to the safety is going over the trigger axis pin. It should go under it, and then over the hammer axis pin. That keeps them firmly in place. There is a plate you can get to replace the shepherds hook. I believe Blackjack Buffers sells the plate, but it might be available elseware, just never searched for it personally.

You should be able to rotate the safety lever up to pull it out slightly to allow the ring part of the shepherds hook to slide off. Then make sure the hammer and trigger pins are fully in, slide the shepherds hook under the trigger pin and using a screwdriver to pry it up, you should be able to push it over the hammer pin (really tight quarters but the wire should drop in place along side the hammer spring. If it won't slide easily after trying to pry it up and over the hammer pin, use a needle nose pliers to help pull it.

Once it is under the trigger and over the hammer axis pins, slide the safety through the loop to hold it in place, and then reinstall the safety lever.

Oh, it is really strange to see that shepherd's hook in a Romy as the ones that are held in by the safety are usually seen in the Chinese. The Romanians usually slide in from the front making them a real bear to slide in. They are just locked in by spring pressure against the receiver.

Good luck!

imanaknut
08-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Made this a second post just for simplicity.

The Romanians usually had a dimple under the trigger axis pin which allowed the shepherd's hook to be pressed down and then slid over to allow the trigger pin to be removed without removing the shepherd's hook itself. You might try removing the trigger pin, remembering that there is a small spring under the disconnector on the same shaft with the trigger. Slide the pin out and then when reinstalling it, push it in over the sheperd's hook and then into the trigger hole. As you try to push it all the way, you will notice the ridge in the axis pin hit the shepherd's hook. Using a screwdriver, push the shepherds hook down into the slot in the receiver, then finish pushing the trigger pin in place until it locks over the shepherd's hook.

Funny but doing it a zillion times makes it seem so easy, but the first time you do it is scary as heck.

And don't be afraid to ask questions. We were all new to this at one time.

stinker
08-05-2012, 10:45 PM
The shepherds hook that is attached to the safety is going over the trigger axis pin. It should go under it, and then over the hammer axis pin. That keeps them firmly in place. There is a plate you can get to replace the shepherds hook. I believe Blackjack Buffers sells the plate, but it might be available elseware, just never searched for it personally.

Copes has them. $4.99.
http://www.copesdistributing.net/retaining-plate-p-366.html

Brownells $12.99
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25024/avs%7CMake_3=AK-47/Product/TRIGGER-PIN-RETAINER-PLATE

Apex $6.00
https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/107/products_id/583

Easy to find part.

imanaknut
08-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Thank you stinker!

deth502
08-06-2012, 05:44 AM
.......... remembering that there is a small spring under the disconnector on the same shaft with the trigger.............. .

it does appear you have a g2 fcg in there, so you dont have to worry about the disconnector spring. when you take the trigger pin out, the trigger, disconnector, and spring will come out as a group with a "tube" through them that the pin goes through holding them together.

imanaknut
08-06-2012, 12:25 PM
it does appear you have a g2 fcg in there, so you dont have to worry about the disconnector spring. when you take the trigger pin out, the trigger, disconnector, and spring will come out as a group with a "tube" through them that the pin goes through holding them together.

Learned something today! Never had a Tapco set apart.

O.S.O.K.
08-06-2012, 02:25 PM
I use e-clips to retain the axis pins - 1/32" IIRC, but I would get several sizes and go with the ones that fit the best - they are cheap and available at home despot or lowes, etc. in the fasteners section. Hair pin clips also work just fine. Both are much easier than messing with the shepards crook and the plates don't always fit correctly in my experience.

deth502
08-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Learned something today! Never had a Tapco set apart.

it really makes things easier if your just trying to juggle everything in there, but i still prefer the old fashioned set up, and if you know what your doing, usinng the slave pin ( that should be in your cleaning kit) its not much harder.

deth502
08-06-2012, 07:20 PM
I use e-clips to retain the axis pins - 1/32" IIRC, but I would get several sizes and go with the ones that fit the best - they are cheap and available at home despot or lowes, etc. in the fasteners section. Hair pin clips also work just fine. Both are much easier than messing with the shepards crook and the plates don't always fit correctly in my experience.

1/32 is awfully small. 3/32 maybe?

the big end of the axis pin is 7mm, its smaller than that, it should be, iirc, a little bigger than the small axis hole, which is 5mm, so im guessing around 6mm, which would be just under 1/4" (1/4"=6.25mm) so 3/32 sounds about right.

Phase 1
08-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Thank you guys for helping me with this, it is now FIXED! :wildshooter: I ended up ordering the retainer plate from brownells and it fixed the problem perfectly. After this I had to take it apart several more times and now know the names of parts and how to take it apart much more effectively thanks to that link imanaknut. I feel much more confident now with no problems. Finally can rely on this. Very relieved. Thank you all

imanaknut
08-08-2012, 02:30 PM
Our pleasure.

Unfortunately now that you have your AK variant working correctly, you will soon be overtaken by AK-addiction. You will enjoy this one so much you will have to get another from a different country, then different stock type, then caliber, then another, and another, and......Addicted!