PDA

View Full Version : Steel In Your Eye

aliceinchains
08-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Ever have steel in your eye! I am a welder / fitter. Presently working on a stack that is getting UT tested. So a lot of back grinding involved.

This is the third time i got home over the years and realized my eye is scratching and there might be metal there. So depending i might wait until Monday to have it drilled out.

imanaknut
08-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Although it has never happened to me, I had a friend that got some steel in his eye and he waited to go to the doctor a bit too long. The steel started to rust and he almost lost his eye to the infection.

Don't fool around. If you feel there is something in your eye, don't fool around and get it checked.

deth502
08-27-2010, 09:09 PM
im always getting shit in my eyes, and i still never wear saftey glasses. i just let it go. sooner or later, it flows out with the puss and its fine.

maybe thats why i cant see shit??

abpt1
08-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Ever have steel in your eye! I am a welder / fitter. Presently working on a stack that is getting UT tested. So a lot of back grinding involved.

This is the third time i got home over the years and realized my eye is scratching and there might be metal there. So depending i might wait until Monday to have it drilled out. Man I have been welding and grinding for 20+ years now ....
just flush it it should come out with a good stream of saline across not directly... If you cant get it out go to the Hospital seriously it not worth your sight . They have the right stuff to get it out and a tetanus shot ...

Tracy
08-27-2010, 11:35 PM
Yep, had steel in my eye once...and battery acid...and jalepenio juice and, I'm sure, some other things that I can't think of right now. It's all fun.

08-27-2010, 11:49 PM
I've had flash burns that felt like metal in my eyes.

I think the worst was when I ported a barrel on one of my motorcycles and I got aluminum dust in my eyes. I should have worn goggles...just a dumb kid back then.

old Grump
08-28-2010, 12:34 AM
Acid, drain cleaner, hot solder, iron filings fromn a grinder, blowback from a torch hitting something that popped. That doesn't count bushels of sawdust and vegetation debris from working in the shop, fields or in the hay mow. In spite of all that I only have one noticeable scar that the doctor can see and that was from the drain cleaner. Eyeballs are incredibly tough and I really wish I had taken better care of mine.

Cataract surgery anybody, that's next for me. Brother just had his second laser surgery and my sister has had several of them. We do what we gotta do and ignoring it, well the doctors office is always glad to make an appointment but remember after you get so old and have beat on your hands for 30 years with hot metal, grinders and hammers your ability to learn braille is kaputz.

Blacksmith
08-28-2010, 01:31 AM
I’ve had porcelain shards in my eyes more times than I can count. if you don’t get them out carefully, it is easy to scratch a retina. when that happens it hurts like hell for several weeks.

jojo
08-28-2010, 02:08 AM
I have. As stated above, don't screw around with your eyes. You'll know if you need to go to the doctor. Your vision is priceless. Just ask any blind man

Partisan1983
08-28-2010, 06:52 AM
A good friend of mine did at a warehouse him and I worked at centuries ago.

He thought it was nothing. He came in the next day and his eye was so swollen and blood red they immediately sent him to the clinic, which in turn sent him to the hospital, of which they did emergency surgery. If it had happened on a Fri. and he waited until Mon. he would have lost vision permanently in that eye.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'll gladly choose going deaf, than going blind.....

aliceinchains
08-30-2010, 10:39 AM
Well i had a bunch of crap come out of my eye on Saturday morning. It still scratched but was not watering. Sunday it felt much better.

Now today it doesn't me. I am bad for not seeing a doctor. I should at least get an eye wash kit for home use.

I see we have a lot of welders here.:thumbsup:

ATAK, Inc.
08-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Too many stupid moments to even remember, but make sure it's out, you only get two!

BTW, I used to be the guy to take the plates to, did UT, along with the other methods, for 22+ years!