PDA

View Full Version : Form 4 back on Poseidon .45

nfa1934
08-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Picked up my Thompson Machine Poseidon .45 today. The new rear endcap design is a great improvement over the old rounded one (no flat gripping surface to help unscrew a stuck can for the old round one). Ordered mine in FDE to go with my tan Para SF-45-A.

Wait was a little over six months. My Form 4 should be coming back soon on my .22 Liberty Kodiak and probably another month on my AAC 9mm Tirant.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss286/nfa1934/33728219.jpg

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss286/nfa1934/cf1c4630.jpg

TEN-32
08-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Looks very nice!

FunkyPertwee
08-11-2012, 03:08 PM
I thouht you were done with the Poseiden suppressors.

nfa1934
08-11-2012, 04:57 PM
I thouht you were done with the Poseiden suppressors.

Giving it another try with the redisigned rear endcap. Still don't like aluminum threads, but i think the round rear endcap on the 9mm made things much worse. There were times the 9mm was seized up that I could have gotten it loose much easier with a surface to grip. Removal of a seized up can is probably a lot easier on the threads if you can get ahold of the can.

I may eventually be swearing at this one too. We'll find out tomorrow.

Schuetzenman
08-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Do you put any Anti-Seize on the threads to prevent sticking? Nickle or Copper type wil do.

nfa1934
08-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Do you put any Anti-Seize on the threads to prevent sticking? Nickle or Copper type wil do.

Yes.

Edit: just got back from the range. No issues with the .45 version of this suppressor. This one sounds different from my other pistol suppressors. My others sound like a combination of a click combined with a sputter (almost like what you would expect a wet snare drum to sound like). The Poseidon .45 sounds like a muffled gunshot. It does pretty well at reducing the volume of the shot, especially considering its size, but it literally sounds like someone turned a volume knob on my pistol. This is the first suppressor I've heard that doesn't really alter the characteristics of the gunshot, just knocks down the decibel level. Pretty sure it's hearing safe, which is my main goal with a can.

Like the 9mm Poseidon, it relies on pressure from the suppressor to cycle the pistol and needs a fresh wipe to function. The 9mm is good for an average of 43 rounds before the wipe is too worn to function reliably. Today, the .45 ran for over 60 rounds before the worn wipe became an issue for reliability.

The new rear endcap is a drastic improvement. I had none of the issues from lack of a gripping surface like with the old style endcap on the 9mm. I'm waiting to see how the aluminum threads will hold up, but I don't forsee a problem with this one. I think some of my issues with the threads on the 9mm came from attempts to loosen a seized up can without the benefit of a gripping surface. Also, the .45 didn't seize up like the 9mm tends to (used the same tube of Permatex anti-seize that doesn't seem to help with the 9mm).

Bottom line, I'm much happier with the .45 Poseidon than the 9mm. I think the new rear endcap design makes all the difference. This improved endcap would probably cause me to revise my opinion of the 9mm Poseidon (the 9mm sports the redesign too), but i'm not going to buy another one of the same can just to test that theory.

Edit: was just starting cleaning and saw that the front wipe isn't worn, it's gone. Probably wore enough that a round finally took it downrange. That would explain the abrupt change in reliability. I'll have to keep track over the next few range visits to try to get an average for number of rounds before the wipe fails. I hope it holds close to 60, that's not too bad.