PDA

View Full Version : OK PKM Owners, I Need Some Help

hazmat
08-13-2012, 12:24 AM
So as a consequence (or benefit) of my employment with the guy that runs the MG shoot I work every Rally, I've been put on his paperwork to repair his guns. (Which means I get to test fire them when I'm done...:machinegun:)

I have in my possession a postie PKM that needs some TLC. What I need is a link to a manual or schematic that shows how to disassembe the thing. I can get the barrel off, but beyond that, I'm stumped. What I don't want to do is start pulling shit off the gun with no idea of how it all fits together.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

alismith
08-13-2012, 06:14 PM
I checked Youtube but all I could find was how to take the barrel out and put it back. Not much out there that I can find.

hazmat
08-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Same here. I managed to get what I needed done thanks to WECSOG. Now, I'm in search of a bolt or firing pin. I may see if VLTOR or Malcolmar has anything. GB and APEX were a strike out.

Penguin
08-13-2012, 08:13 PM
When I get the time I will post it later, if some one hasn't beat me to it. It is simple basickly an upside down AK. Heck I even have an orgianl amrmourer manual around here some where.

Basicly unload gun and clear it. Open the top cover. Press forward on the top of the reciol spring guid rod and lift it out. Then you can pull back the bolt carrier and bolt. Bolt comes out pretty much like an AK. Then you slide the tab out under the feed tray and pull the barrel out. If you press down on the top flat part where the gas tube is you can then pull the gas tube off from the reciver. That is about the jist of basic field striping.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

hazmat
08-13-2012, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the info Penguin, but I got it all apart through a little trial and error. What I'm wondering now is how to get the bolt off the carrier. It doesn't rotate out like a typical Kalashnikov would. At least this one doesn't. Keeps hanging up where it should rotate out and back so you could pull it straight out the front. Reason I want to get the bolt off the carrier is I've got some concerns regarding the firing pin. Something doesn't seem right with it. Since you've got a semi, would you happen to know a source for additional firing pins if I need them? GB and APEX are a no-go at this point. They've got everything else...except that.

Here are a couple of pics of the BC.

This one is of the BC with the bolt fully extended:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/hazmat97/PKM/2012-08-13_21-34-45_891.jpg

Second is fully retracted. This is as far as I can get it to. I can't get it the rest of the way.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/hazmat97/PKM/2012-08-13_21-34-29_248.jpg

Any thoughts?

ATAK, Inc.
08-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Hey Hazmat!
Looks like an issue with the bolt or carrier. My bolt comes out like any other AK. Look for pinch points that would stop it from coming out. VLTOR or WiseLite might be able to help, and bolts/carriers are on gunbroker all the time.
Can't tell from the pic, but is the rear of the bolt damaged? The bolt shaft might be tweaked just enough to stop it from completely retracting into the carrier.

BTW, MarColMar does not have any spare parts, they may have the original firing pins, but I think those were kept by Wiselite.

Penguin
08-14-2012, 03:47 PM
It should just come out like on an AK. At least it does on mine. As for spare parts APEX or perhaps Voltor are the best places I can think of. I see misc spares here and there at other places. Perhaps hit some where like gun broker, some one may have parts on there that you are looking for.

As to why it is stuck I don't know. PrvtPyle would be the one to ask. He used to post here way back when. I don't think I have seen him post on the new board though. He used to post on a couple of others. I see him still posting on we the armed from time to time. It may not hurt to ask you question over there. If any one in the US knows PKMs it would be him.

hazmat
08-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Alrighty. Found out the answer to the firing pin question...it's part of the BC, which would explain why the bolt doesn't want to come out. Now it's just waiting for the other parts I need to fix this contraption with...the new charging handle to replace the broken one that's laying on my garage floor.

Just to clear up any confusion: In case you're wondering, this is a post-sample PKM from VLTOR. I am on the license paperwork on file with the Alphabet Soup Group to repair his MGs.

ETA: Once I get the PKM up and running, I have the AMD I repaired last year I need to replace the rear trunion in (long story) and get a FA S-12 to run right with stick mags and drums. The latter would seem to me on the face to be an ammo issue. I don't think using reloaded Winny AA will be the answer. Federal Target seems to run good in my SA S12, so I'll give that a try after I get her cleaned up and see if that helps.