PDA

View Full Version : Help me with a choice

sdw2008
08-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Hi all.

I'm new here but I have been lurking and reading various posts for a bit.

I'm in a bit of a conundrum here trying to pick an AK platform and I would like to throw it out to the gurus here to get opinions. I'mmm leaving price out of the equation because I want this decision to be based on quality of the rifle, not cost. With the exception of the SLR-95, they are all in the same price range.

Here are my choices:

Arsenal / FIME group SGL-21, NIB, 1 5-round plastic mag
MAK 90, stamped, looks NIB w/ 5 round mag, and thumbhole stock

Slightly used:
SLR-95, milled, w/ 5 steel double stacks and US walnut stock 90 with drums and mags (this one is nice, but the most expensive of all)
Saiga AK 103, stamped, at least one 30-round, steel double stack and red dot scope
MAK 90, stamped, w/ 2 drums & 4 30-round, steel double stacks, thumbhole stock
ATI (???), stamped with 2 30-round, steel double stacks (not familiar with this one)
MAK 90, stamped, totally decked out w/ 4 30-round, steel double stacks and ammo (needs G2 trigger to use non-us mags)

Any reason I shouldn't jump all over this SLR-95?

What's a good second choice?

Thanks in advance!

stinker
08-13-2012, 02:43 PM
ATI (???), stamped with 2 30-round, steel double stacks (not familiar with this one)

That have a tacticool stock that looks kind of like these?
http://www.atigunstocks.com/26-stocks

If so the ATI is referring to the manufacturer of the stock kit.
Theres no way to guess what the make of the rifle is if that's the case so who knows.

Personally i like their pistol grip but the buttstock is waaaaaaay too long to be comfortable for someone of average height.
You need to be around 6'8" or so and/or have arms like a gorilla to be comfortable with it.
The foregrip feels kind of cheap too to be honest.
Yeah i made the mistake of buying one.

As to those other AK's...any one of them i would be happy with.
No reason you should'nt jump all over the SLR-95 that i can think of if that's the one you like.