PDA

View Full Version : new member AK decision making

RiJiD
08-14-2012, 10:57 AM
love the forum much better community than most and has some great info on the AK and all the different variations.

I will be buying and AK soon but I am still undecided on 223 762 or 308

my price is under a grand and I am looking at the M70 underfolder I like the durability of it and the underfolder is a nice option, found a kit with 4 mags, case ,sling and bayonet for 620$ so the price is good.

or the VEPR seem to be a nice rifle also considering the amd 65.

glad I found this forum.

imanaknut
08-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

I would suggest to stick with the 7.62x39 to start with as it is based on the original platform. Ammo is still plentiful and mags are reasonably priced. The Yugo M70 is a really nice rifle, as well as is the VEPR.

Most like the VEPR as it is Russian made making it symbolically as close to the original AKM as you can buy. Actually the VEPR is closer to an RPK, but that only makes it better.

The problem with the .223/5.56x45 and .308 is mags are hard to come by, and expensive when found, but if you found a VERP at a good price, it would be hard to pass up.

Either of the two you list would be a nice rifle to have.

RiJiD
08-14-2012, 10:59 PM
thanks !
I was thinking of getting an AR mag adapter for the .223 AK I think that would be a handy combo reliable AK that takes the most common round and mag.

I didnt know the VEPR took different mags so it looks like I will go with the yugo because of the package deal at classic arms.