PDA

View Full Version : Reloading for the CETME.

Solidus-snake
08-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Well I am going to order my press and dies tomorrow and was wanting to know if any of you have any experience reloading for the Cetme.

And powder types, bulllet weights and brands would be very appreciated.

Ill keep yall updated on my learning progress as a reloader!

El Laton Caliente
08-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Use mil-spec primers. You are likely to do best keeping close to NATO spec....

Schuetzenman
08-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Right, 48,000 psi loads is what they are designed to run on more or less as that's 7.62 NATO spec. 147 gr. bullet is also spec., I would think 150 gr. is OK, but I would hesitate to shoot 165+ gr. bullets. On Powder, IMR 4895 powder, 2520 by Accurate Powders, BLC-2 by Hogdon for a good burn rate that I'd call medium fast. You should avoid fast or slow burning powders. Fast will be harsh IMO on the roller lock up system and slow will probably cause battering of the recoil buffer system it wasn't designed to take. On Primers, I do believe the G3 or CETME weapons have a spring loaded firing pin so not so sure you need milspec primers. http://www.robertrtg.com/g3schematic.html Link to exploded diagram of G3 rifle. Line item 24 and 25 are the firing pin and firing pin spring respectively. If you try nonmilspec primers don't load more than 2 at a time to test for any slamfire potential. I've used Remington large rifle primers in M1 Garand reloads. The Garand does not have a spring on the FP and I have never had a slam-fire. I've also used CCI large rifle, not milspec types and also had no issues. Sometimes I think people that report slame-fire incidents haven't really seated the primers to full depth.

The most notorious slame-firing rifle is that Mas 49-56 rifle in 7.5 MAS. http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/6388161353/10595659/c62ce3b96a0b5f1d71cc7fa06094dc22.jpg

Helen Keller
08-23-2012, 10:34 PM
The most notorious slam-firing rifle is that Mas 49-56 rifle in 7.5 MAS.
Even with CCi #34 all of mine will still occasionally double up.

BLC-2 is the way to go for metering as well.
A guy at work got a new chronograph and it really revealed some things about handloading the other day. Just because a "book" says something
doesn't mean thats what you'll get.

Sometimes I think people that report slam-fire incidents haven't really seated the primers to full depth. or their gun is incredibly filthy or still has cosmo/overlubed .

IIRC the firing pin on the G3/Cetme series can't even engage until the bolt is all the way forward and the rollers are in place.

El Laton Caliente
08-24-2012, 10:58 AM
It's been a while but I remember some problems with a few of the CIA CETMES firing on bolt closure with standard primers. IIRC, it was more out of spec bolt gap than it was design, but they would kiss primers.

Another issue is .308 brass vs. mil-spec 7.62x51NATO... As I remember .308 brass, especially Winchester had a tendencey to split in the fluted chambers. You are better off using once fired military brass.

You might also get an ejection port buffer or glue a piece of rubber rear of the ejection port. The cases spin out of the ejection port and dent the case mouths on this area. The rubber will lesson the effect.

O.S.O.K.
08-24-2012, 12:55 PM
IIRC, reloading and shooting brass fired in the flutted chambers is not recommended. Further, the delayed blow-back system is also very hard on the brass. Both weaken the body of the brass.

Of course, it's fine to reload for the CETME - just don't reload the spent cases.

Solidus-snake
08-24-2012, 05:08 PM
IIRC, reloading and shooting brass fired in the flutted chambers is not recommended. Further, the delayed blow-back system is also very hard on the brass. Both weaken the body of the brass.

Of course, it's fine to reload for the CETME - just don't reload the spent cases.

I have read in several places that there are some CETME/HK barrels that only leave burn marks on the brass and others that leave grooves. Mine only leaves burn marks, and disapear after polishing with no grooves left behind, this may be to me only shooting 7.62 NATO out of it, which has from what ive heard, harder brass casings.

Lots of people from what I have read here and there, reload their spent casings, but most do so not more than a couple of times.

Also I have a port buffer on my CETME, so the brass is not dinged.

O.S.O.K.
08-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Your call! I was just passing on the advisory. :)

El Laton Caliente
08-25-2012, 04:05 PM
I've known several people that would reload cases run through a CETME or HK91 up to about three times with cafeful inspection. This is only with mil-spec cases though. .308 cases are thinner and have a softer brass.

Solidus-snake
08-25-2012, 08:53 PM
Your call! I was just passing on the advisory. :)

I know, and I appreciate it man.

Like Caliente said, I have read to only re use the 7.62 military brass and only after close inspection. I have shot commercial .308 out of mine and you can actually feel the grooves in those casings.

While were at it, does anyone know where I can find 7.62 military brass?

O.S.O.K.
08-27-2012, 03:53 PM
These guys don't right now but are worth checking later: http://www.brassworldeshop.com/oncefiredbrass.aspx

Another one - also out.... http://www.hi-techammo.com/

And another good source - but also out... http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|282|909|980

Good luck - looks like it's popular...