PDA

View Full Version : Russian Saiga AK Compensator Problem

Skarekrow88
08-26-2012, 03:31 PM
I have an Arsenal Inc. imported and converted Russian Saiga SGL 20-21 (thread protector instead of compensator). Really wanted a compensator so I ordered Arsenal's US made 24x1.5mm right-hand threaded compensator off of K-VAR. It screwed on for about 3 or 4 turns and then gets stuck and no amount of oil or anything would make it budge. I called and told them what happened and they said that it's rare but happens sometimes so they sent me another one and told me to send the other back. I got the second compensator before I got a chance to send the first one back...exact...same...thing. 3-4 turns and it's stuck. Called and told them and they said they didn't know why it would do that. I said forget it and put both in a box and sent it back to K-VAR. Only got credit back for one of the compensators and they charged me for the other because they said they only found one compensator in the box. So I am out $70 and very pissed off. Anyone know whats up with the compensators not fitting? I know the threads aren't damaged because the thread protector it came with goes on just fine. I am looking at the Krebs Custom Compensator and thinking about giving it a shot. Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

imanaknut
08-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Possibly a small piece of dirt on the threads on the front sight base? Possibly a tiny piece of the thread is damage and needs to be cleaned up a bit? I have cleaned several threads on AKs using a jeweler's file. It is also possible there was dirt in the comps, but since two did the exact same thing I doubt it.

Skarekrow88
08-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Possibly a small piece of dirt on the threads on the front sight base? Possibly a tiny piece of the thread is damage and needs to be cleaned up a bit? I have cleaned several threads on AKs using a jeweler's file. It is also possible there was dirt in the comps, but since two did the exact same thing I doubt it.

I cleaned and oiled both the threads on the rifle and the threads in the compensators. There's no way that's what the problem was, I would've heard or felt grinding or something.