PDA

View Full Version : AK-47 Help!

ReaperMan
08-29-2012, 01:12 AM
So I was able to convince a guy to sell me his AK-47 which is a beauty! I couldn't stand seeing how he ruined and I only hope I can fix it! I got this beauty for only 200 bucks! He told me he was was milling it and shaving it out himself to make it accept a double stack instead of a single. I have no idea why someone would do this if you don't know how and ruin such a beauty. Can anyone with knowledge tell me if I can fix this and what parts I need. As you can see in the pic (which are not good ones sorry) you can see a couple of cracks. The idiot....I'm sorry the nice gentleman didn't obviously know what he was doing fully. Please help me get this beauty back in good working order.

Schuetzenman
08-29-2012, 06:02 AM
That is the Trunion and might be the feed ramp area of it. Can't tell for sure. Short of having a TIG welder and skills to use it no fix is possible.

Krupski
08-29-2012, 01:14 PM
That is the Trunion and might be the fee ramp area of it. Can't tell for sure. Short of having a TIG welder and skills to use it no fix is possible.

Here's a closeup of my SAR-1 bullet guide (bolt held open):

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/bullet_guide.jpg

I think looking at this pic, the "cracks" that the OP sees are merely the gap between the trunnion and the bullet guide.

It looks like the original owner was trying to convert a single stack to double stack,,, hopefully he didn't grind off TOO much........

imanaknut
08-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Does the bolt lock up solid?

Does a standard AK mag lock into place? In other words, did the previous owner open the mag well correctly? In this case someone who did that to an AKM would be called a Bubba.

If the mag locks into place, using a dummy round, or if using a live one, do it at a range or in an area that if the weapon fired, the bullet would travel into a known backstop, does the round feed properly?

If the mag locks up and the round feeds, put two rounds in the mag and fire the first down range. Did the second round load correctly or did the bolt pass over it, or start to feed but it got hung up?

If the bolt locks up completely (ie he did no damage to the locking area of the trunion), the mag fits in place and the rounds cycle and fire, I would go ahead and enjoy the rifle and just keep an eye on what looks like a crack and see how it progresses. The design of the AK would still hold the front end together even with major damage to the internals.

ReaperMan
09-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Thanks for all the great info! However I am moving to California and as the world knows Calif has the worst gun laws in the world! I need this to be only a single stack so what are my options at this point?

imanaknut
09-02-2012, 01:10 PM
1. Rethink moving to that state that doesn't believe in THE UNITED STATES and the constitution that governs all 50.

2. Check the commiefornia list of "approved evil looking weapons" and see if by moving in you can register it with the proletariat.

3. Sell the rifle.