PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal?

fez
09-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Hello all.New forum member.I'm a woking class guy,65.My wife has had some medicl problems so I'm the only one working.Ak's and ar's are out of my budget.However,I found a beat up 1992 mak 90 at a pawn shop that needed some tlc.I did not add or take off any parts.The thumbhole stock was missing.In it's place someone put on a double underfold stk and bolted it to the receiver so it does not fold.Even if you loosen the bolt it will not fold under.The real folding mechanism is missing.The barell is not threaded,no grenade stuff,the bayo mt is ground off,it has a pistol grip.I do not get to the range that often and have other firearms to shoot but I always feel uneasy when I shoot this one.Like big brother is watching.Is it legal in this configuration? Sorry can't post pics.Any advice greatly appreciated.

Full Otto
09-04-2012, 03:58 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much.
How's the attitude at the range in general about so called assault rifles?
Bunch of fudds that will look for a reason to hassle someone?
Even then it's not like your gonna get in much trouble anyway. It was already modified right.

buxman66
09-04-2012, 04:18 PM
If you feel uneasy as to how it was modified I would do some research as to the legal aspects of the weapon, like a third axis pin @ the trigger group or 922 compliance parts added or not. As long as the weapon is safe to fire,and meets the necessary requirements I would have fun w/ it.

imanaknut
09-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

As long as it doesn't have that dreaded third pin hole, which is ok per the second amendment but tell that to ATF, you are good to go. The parts count thing and any configuration change only apply to the person making the changes and not any subsequent owner.

You able to post a picture? Most here that know me know that I am very into the Chinese AK variants and enjoy seeing what people have done to the MAK-90 which would make George Bush the First unhappy as he was totally afraid that "evil looking" weapons would make their owner a criminal, but ATF answered that if there were 10 or less imported parts, no matter how it looked, the rifle was completely angelic.

Sad isn't it!

fez
09-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks guys.Range people are ok.No third machine gun pin.Can't identify 922 parts although some one must have added the pistol grip(blk plastic).Can't post pics.It was imported by glnic.I believe they were a direct agent for the chicoms.It was filthy when I got it.The upper and lower guards had splits in the wood.I patched up and redid the wood.Cleaned it up real good(even the innards of the bolt) and did a little cold blue here and there.Did not come out to bad for an amateur.Won't win any beauty contests.My wife says it has "character". Shoots fine.I have shot other peoples ak at the range but they had the single trigger hook.The double is definetly smoother.Thanks again.I'm breathing a little easier now.If I get a digital camera I will learn to do pics you guys will get the first pictures.LOL.

jojo
09-04-2012, 06:30 PM
I wouldn't worry about it at all. The only thing I would stay away from is getting out there and firing a bunch of rounds real fast if there were many people at the range. As long as you're shooting responsibly i don't think you would have any problems at all. The MAK 90's are pretty good rifles by the way

buxman66
09-04-2012, 06:51 PM
I read every thread in the" Chinese variants " part of the forums! That's a good place to learn what you have. These guys have been a wealth of knowledge as most of my experience was w/ the AR platform.

imanaknut
09-04-2012, 09:59 PM
It hurts me every time I read of someone changing the fire control group of the Chinese AK variants as they were arguably the best factory trigger ever installed in an AK variant imported into the land of shall not be infringed.

Sounds like you got yourself a nice rifle. I always look out for that super dirty thing that really is a diamond in the rough. Usually they go for great prices and under the dirt and grime is a really nice shooter.

fez
09-05-2012, 09:10 AM
I look around pawn shops from time to time and this one was languishing in a corner at the end of his rifle rack.I spotted it right away. I could see it need some help but thought if the price is right this will be my only chance to get one.We settled on 200 bucks and a 80yr old spanish bufalo .380 pistol on trade.The pistol was a copy of a Browning.It was in nice condition for 80yrs plus.Sturdy too but alas it became expendable to get the mak.I'm happy but not being into these type firearms I did not want to spend 20 years in Levenwoth.LOL

fez
09-05-2012, 09:18 AM
I'm going to try to borrow a digital camera and learn the procedure to post pics.

imanaknut
09-05-2012, 12:47 PM
We have a photo host on this site. Use the "Gallery" button at the top of the page and you can create your own album to load pictures to. Try to keep them fairly small as space is limited. If you can't get them to upload here, there are many free host sites on the web.

Once you have the photos uploaded, right click on the photo, copy the URL, then use the "Insert Image" button at the top of the Quick Reply window. It a box with what lools like a tree on yellow soil in it. Use the upload from URL pick-off, unclick the already clicked box in the window that comes up, and copy your URL into the proper line. Your photo will then appear in your post.

fez
09-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Sounds like chinese to me but I'll try.When it comes to me and computers it's like trying to explain them to someone that has awaken from a 40 year coma.Yes,I'm that bad.I've learned to use them to do my job but that's about it(parts dept at a car dealer)I may try to enlist someone to look over my shoulder as I do it.When I try to read directions as relates to computers I always hit a wall at some point and can't figure out how to go further.Don't laugh please as I'm sensitive.LOL.