PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use an automatic powder dispenser?

O.S.O.K.
08-29-2010, 12:40 PM
I have a Lyman 1200 DPS-3 that my wife gave me for Christmas. Its a nice unit - but I need to return it to Lyman as it has been acting up lately - not zeroing reliably.

These are great for loading stick propellants with weighed charges but even this fast unit is slower than using a ball powder and the measure to drop charges.

What have you guys found?

RottenII
08-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Ive had the RCBS unit for three years now with zero problems. I would be hard pressed to reload without one now.

O.S.O.K.
08-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Well, I must admit that I've had mine for over a year and have yet to use the powder dispenser to load any ammo - just used the digi scale....

I'm actually considering puting it on gunbroker or something once I get it back. I'm really a ball powder guy for large batches.... only use stick for smaller loadings.

RottenII
08-30-2010, 08:20 AM
I load all my pistol stuff with my dillon and use the RCBS just to check my powder measure settings but I do use the dispenser for all my stick powder rifle loads. I think it was money pretty well spent compared to others gadgets Ive tried.:biggrin:

O.S.O.K.
08-30-2010, 08:27 AM
The Lyman seems to be a good unit. It does take several minutes to warm up though - which is annoying. Does your's require this warm-up period when you first turn it on?

GunBum
08-30-2010, 10:04 AM
I have the Lyman. I just leave it on all the time, so the warm up period is a non issue.

I only use it for loading extruded rifle powders. It is way better at that than any manual powder measure I've used for dropping consistent charges. However, for small flakes and ball powder, I use the old fashioned type. Since the balls and flakes don't sheer off, or get stuck there is no reason to use the Lyman. It is also clearly stated in my owners manual that you shouldn't use small flakes or ball powder.

RottenII
08-30-2010, 12:46 PM
The Lyman seems to be a good unit. It does take several minutes to warm up though - which is annoying. Does your's require this warm-up period when you first turn it on?

No warm up needed. Just turn it on and go. Ive used it for ball powders plenty of times without issue also.

O.S.O.K.
09-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Thanks guys - I though of just leaving it on but there are long periods of inactivity in my reloading...