PDA

View Full Version : for what's it worth.

fez
09-09-2012, 10:04 PM
I was at the pistol range today and was talking to one of the range officers who is also a smith.I asked him about all this assault weapons laws etc.Not his thing but he said the guy I want to speak to is on the rifle range last lane.He is a retired ffl and was into all this back in the day.So I clear my weapons,pack my gear and off I go.When the line went cold we started talking.He said the original spirit of 922r was meant for importers and manufacturers so they wouldn't get cute and try to get around the laws.Once a rifle was ok'd for import atf jurisdiction was supposed to end.He said what people did afterward was"modifying" not assembly.He likened it to the car business.Gm assembles cars from scratch.After you buy it and change the wheels or tweak the engine you are modifying not assembling.He said the laws are also contradictory.You take a sporting rifle and change the thumbhole to a US made underfolder it is technically not sporting anymore.Also in some of his dealings with the atf he asked about second hand rifles that were of unknown compliance.The atf told him 922r applies to the act of assembly not possession.So there you have it for what it's worth.By the way he was shooting some kind of tricked out badass ar.

imanaknut
09-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Gee, I remember someone saying exactly the same thing here... now let me see if I can remember who said 922(r) and Title 27 CFR 478.39 applied to assembly and not possession????

fez
09-10-2012, 08:52 AM
You!! My memory ain't so good any more.For more good reading Google "My atf letter(and reply)".It will take you to an FAL site.This guy has a letter nailing it down.I made several copies.One of which is in a clear pouch in the case my mak is in.Things are looking up.Big thanks to you and all the fellas that chimed in.

Full Otto
09-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Did you catch the Yugo thread a couple floors down?

fez
09-10-2012, 03:57 PM
how do you like them apples? LOL