PDA

View Full Version : My New Hungarian AK - Couple Qs

Tubby513
09-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Hi All,

I have this Hungarian AK-47. I've done a bunch of reading, and what I gather is that I have a FEG manufacturered rifle, imported by TGI, and it has a marking of SA-2000M. So I believe I have an AMG-65. Can someone confirm that for me?

I haven't shot it yet. I love the wood on it, but I need the buttstock piece. I am starting to worry that I will not be able to find that piece by itself, and if I do, it won't match the other pieces. Anyone got any advice on this?

On another note, it came with this magazine, and I just don't like it...so I have 5 of the 20 round Hungarian mags on the way, should arrive tomorrow. Hope they fit nice and snug and feed well.

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1757&d=1347393894

Richard Simmons
09-11-2012, 04:20 PM
It should have a buttstock like the one in this link.

http://www.jgsales.com/hungarian-amd-65-sa-2000m-ak-47-rifle,-feg-receiver,-tgi-import,-w-side-folding-stock.-p-3115.html

Maybe someone with more knowedge will know where to get one?

The barrel on yours looks shorter than the one I posted a link too. Yours may have been sold as an AK pistol and if so you would need to register it as a SBR (short barrel rifle) before you can add a buttstock to it. With the bolt forward put a cleaning rod down the bore until it stops against the bolt face and mark the end of the muzzle on the rod then take the rod out and measure it. If it's not 16" + it's too short.

imanaknut
09-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

With the way the rear of that AK looks, the rear trunion seems to be a pistol trunion. Is the muzzle brake removable? Should be left hand thread, so to remove, turn it off the "wrong" way. If the muzzle device is fixed in place, the barrel still appears to be 14 inches with it, so it follows you have a pistol version.

If you replace the rear trunion block with one that accepts a stock, you will have to add a barrel extension and weld or silver solder it in place to bring it up to the 1934 NFA mandated 16 inches unless you want to go through the paperwork and pay the blackmail fee to keep the barrel below 16 inches but able to add a stock.

By the way, the original SA-2000 were single stack rifles. Many had their mag well opened up to accept standard AK mags. If the mag well was opened correctly, standard factory metal AK/AKM mags will fit snugly but you might have trouble inserting some plastic mags.

It is possible someone took a FEG SA-2000 receiver and built it into the pistol you now own. If it shoots as good as it looks, you might want to leave it as is unless you want to convert it into a rifle. To do such you would first have to lengthen the barrel to the ATF minimum, or get the paperwork and go through the hoops to make it NFA ok.

imanaknut
09-11-2012, 05:29 PM
By the way, this is an AMD-65. (ok, it is actually two :D )

Note the barrel extension to meet the mandated length.
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/537/medium/AMD-65_x2.JPG

I believe the "AMG-65" is a Mercedes automobile. :smiley31:

Tubby513
09-11-2012, 09:36 PM
It should have a buttstock like the one in this link.

http://www.jgsales.com/hungarian-amd-65-sa-2000m-ak-47-rifle,-feg-receiver,-tgi-import,-w-side-folding-stock.-p-3115.html

Maybe someone with more knowedge will know where to get one?

The barrel on yours looks shorter than the one I posted a link too. Yours may have been sold as an AK pistol and if so you would need to register it as a SBR (short barrel rifle) before you can add a buttstock to it. With the bolt forward put a cleaning rod down the bore until it stops against the bolt face and mark the end of the muzzle on the rod then take the rod out and measure it. If it's not 16" + it's too short.

Interesting...I didn't see this coming, ha. AK pistol, huh? I really am new to this, wow. Thanks for the input!

Tubby513
09-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

With the way the rear of that AK looks, the rear trunion seems to be a pistol trunion. Is the muzzle brake removable? Should be left hand thread, so to remove, turn it off the "wrong" way. If the muzzle device is fixed in place, the barrel still appears to be 14 inches with it, so it follows you have a pistol version.

If you replace the rear trunion block with one that accepts a stock, you will have to add a barrel extension and weld or silver solder it in place to bring it up to the 1934 NFA mandated 16 inches unless you want to go through the paperwork and pay the blackmail fee to keep the barrel below 16 inches but able to add a stock.

By the way, the original SA-2000 were single stack rifles. Many had their mag well opened up to accept standard AK mags. If the mag well was opened correctly, standard factory metal AK/AKM mags will fit snugly but you might have trouble inserting some plastic mags.

It is possible someone took a FEG SA-2000 receiver and built it into the pistol you now own. If it shoots as good as it looks, you might want to leave it as is unless you want to convert it into a rifle. To do such you would first have to lengthen the barrel to the ATF minimum, or get the paperwork and go through the hoops to make it NFA ok.

OK, muzzle brake is definitely not removable. Damn, I really don't want to get into having the barrel extended and get involved in paperwork and ATF regulations. I am not dead set on adding the stock by any means, I was looking to do that before having this light bulb go off...

As a side note, simply adding that stock makes this a rifle in the eyes of the ATF? And at that point, it must have at least a 16" barrel...I am just wondering, why? And so without a stock as it currently is, it's considered a pistol? I guess I just don't get the rules or the logic of it.

Anyways, I had read about these being single stack rifles, but many are opened up to accept the standard mags. Since this one came with this plastic double stacker, and it feeds fine, I guess the importer or someone did that work. I will find out on Thursday how the fit and feed is with the Hungarian 20 rounders.

I do like the way it looks a lot, very beautiful gun in my eyes. As I said, I only was planning on the stock before knowing about all of this. So are these very common, and among all the different countries? It's all very interesting. I am searching now and see lots of info and vids on Draco AK pistols, so they appear to be most common.

Oh and whoops about the AMD-65 piece...haha you are correct about it being a Benz model. I was in a rush. :D

imanaknut
09-11-2012, 10:33 PM
The fact that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed is very simple. The way congress in 1934, Lyndon Johnson in 1968, and Bush1 in 1989, and others have perverted that can drive you crazy.

The 1934 NFA demands (in simple based on this thread) that rifles have barrels longer than 16", shotgun barrels longer than 18", overall length 26". A pistol is supposedly a firearm that can be fired with one hand, and cannot be shouldered.

If your AK variant has a cover over the rear of the receiver, it is considered a pistol, so the barrel length can be anything.

If you were to add a stock to the pistol it becomes a "short barreled rifle" (SBR) based on the 1934 NFA unless you first lengthen the barrel to over the minimum 16 inches. ATF measures the barrel by dropping a stick into it with the bolt locked into the firing position, or forward, that is marked at 16 inches. If the mark disappears, it is legal. If the mark is visible it is a short barrel and must be registered as an NFA weapon. They allow muzzle devices and/or barrel extensions that are welded or high temperature silver soldered to the barrel to count for the length. A fake silencer welded to a 6 inch barrel that brings the overall length to over 16 inches is legal. The AMDs in my picture have a barrel extension and a muzzle brake welded to the barrel to meet the NFA requirements.

Confusing? You haven't even gotten into the parts count stupidity yet! Known as 922(r) or Title 27 CFR 478.39 you cannot make a long gun using more than ten imported parts that isn't otherwise legal to import per the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment. Actually the sporting purpose is in the 1968 Gun Control Act, but wasn't enforced until Bush1 went off on "evil looking weapons".

Confusing? Welcome to the world of the rights that have been severely infringed upon.

Tubby513
09-14-2012, 11:19 AM
The fact that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed is very simple. The way congress in 1934, Lyndon Johnson in 1968, and Bush1 in 1989, and others have perverted that can drive you crazy.

The 1934 NFA demands (in simple based on this thread) that rifles have barrels longer than 16", shotgun barrels longer than 18", overall length 26". A pistol is supposedly a firearm that can be fired with one hand, and cannot be shouldered.

If your AK variant has a cover over the rear of the receiver, it is considered a pistol, so the barrel length can be anything.

If you were to add a stock to the pistol it becomes a "short barreled rifle" (SBR) based on the 1934 NFA unless you first lengthen the barrel to over the minimum 16 inches. ATF measures the barrel by dropping a stick into it with the bolt locked into the firing position, or forward, that is marked at 16 inches. If the mark disappears, it is legal. If the mark is visible it is a short barrel and must be registered as an NFA weapon. They allow muzzle devices and/or barrel extensions that are welded or high temperature silver soldered to the barrel to count for the length. A fake silencer welded to a 6 inch barrel that brings the overall length to over 16 inches is legal. The AMDs in my picture have a barrel extension and a muzzle brake welded to the barrel to meet the NFA requirements.

Confusing? You haven't even gotten into the parts count stupidity yet! Known as 922(r) or Title 27 CFR 478.39 you cannot make a long gun using more than ten imported parts that isn't otherwise legal to import per the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment. Actually the sporting purpose is in the 1968 Gun Control Act, but wasn't enforced until Bush1 went off on "evil looking weapons".

Confusing? Welcome to the world of the rights that have been severely infringed upon.

Ugh, that is messed up, but not surprising at all. I had seen people talking about the 922(r) stuff and looked that up. I don't get the point, and would rather just avoid that altogether.

So I have an AK-47 pistol, and can't "change" it to a rifle without going through a bunch of crap. I don't mind how it looks at all, in fact I like it...so I won't be making any changes. I do wonder how accurate I'll be with it though.

In other news, I received the 5 Hungarian 20 rd mags. 3 load up 20 rds and fit perfectly into the AK. 1 only fit 19 rounds strangely, but fit into the AK...so I can live with that. 1 mag absolutely will not "click" into place. I inspected it and nothing jumps out as far as bent metal or obvious issue. Contacted the company but also thinking I might just try to figure out the problem and make it work. Was bummed though. Anyhow, love the look and feel of the steel mags over the plastic crap. Can't wait to fire it.

imanaknut
09-14-2012, 11:43 AM
I have had to take a file to the rear tab of more than one AK mags to allow it to lock into place, and be able to unlock it easily. I had one mag that clicked into place, but was so tight I needed pliers to move the mag release lever. A little hit with a file to the mag's tag fixed that.

Tubby513
09-14-2012, 12:09 PM
I have had to take a file to the rear tab of more than one AK mags to allow it to lock into place, and be able to unlock it easily. I had one mag that clicked into place, but was so tight I needed pliers to move the mag release lever. A little hit with a file to the mag's tag fixed that.

Cool, I'm not opposed to doing a little filing to make it all fit well. On the other hand, it would appear the CS at What A Country is excellent. Already got a response and they're willing to send out new mags if it comes down to it.

O.S.O.K.
09-14-2012, 12:19 PM
As said, you have a pistol.

Many install a swivel stud to the rear trunion so that a sling can be attached. If you adjust the loop right, you can push out against the sling while it's on your arm and use that to steady your aim. Not as good as a buttstock, but does help in aimed firing.

Tubby513
09-14-2012, 12:39 PM
As said, you have a pistol.

Many install a swivel stud to the rear trunion so that a sling can be attached. If you adjust the loop right, you can push out against the sling while it's on your arm and use that to steady your aim. Not as good as a buttstock, but does help in aimed firing.

Ha, I can't get over that - this is a pistol. I mean, I get it, but then I hold what I really understand to be pistols and I can't help but laugh.

Anyhow, thanks a lot for the advice. Now that you mention it, I saw a couple vids of people shooting in that manner, with the sling pulled tight, helping to steady the shot. I will look into it!