PDA

View Full Version : Dsa rpd or 1919?

Lightning 351
09-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Guys,i want to buy 1 of these beltfeds.i am leaning rpd because of ammo cost,and it is more like a rifle,if you know what I mean.please give me opinions one way or the other,or talk me out of it if you think both are dumb.thanks,tim.

FunkyPertwee
09-12-2012, 06:45 PM
An RPD would fit in my collection better. In terms of being another Soviet-Bloc weapon using a caliber I already stock, as well as in terms of its physical size.

Helen Keller
09-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Either or.

The RPD has more human ergos BUT the 1919 can reach beyond 1000yds with ease.

I have 2 RPD's in the making and am Pretty much gonna machine my own 1919 in 30-06.

Richard Simmons
09-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Been thinking about an RPD myself so that's the one I'd go for. As stated, cheaper ammo and more versatile since you don't need a mount of some type. That being said a 1919A6 would be a a little more comparable but even then I don't care for the trigger on the 1919.

Schuetzenman
09-13-2012, 06:26 AM
An RPD is 1 man portable and drum fed. 1919 is a crew served weapon, the weight is 35 lbs. RPD uses a midrange cartridge the 7.62x39, just a bigger magazine version for power factor of an AK. 1919 fires either .30-06, .308 or 8 mm depending on how it's set up. You could configure an A6 version that has a shoulder stock and bipod, but even so that version is still a "fire from the prone position" type of weapon. If I was to ever build out my 1919 kit Ihave putting a crank fire type trigger device on it would be the only way to really make it useful IMO. They aren't super accurate even with a new barrel, they are designed to lay down volume fire over a large area and suppress troup movment so the riflemen can manuver against the enemy and take them out . RPD is just a much lighter and more portable verison of this type of weapon.

El Laton Caliente
09-13-2012, 07:20 AM
Schuetzman has cover what I would say. Crew served medium vs. light one man weapon.

Either one is a nice addition to a collection.

Penguin
09-13-2012, 11:32 AM
I would also say that Schuetzman has covered it pretty well. To me the big drawback to the 1919 is finding the tri pod for it. When I was looking at getting one finding the correct tri pod that had the T&E still on it was hard and expensive. That was the main reason I never got one. I just kept saving my pennies and got a PKM instead.

Between the two I would rather have the 1919, it is just more interisting to me. I like the longer range and power of the 30-06. As has been mentnioned you can change it out fairly easily to 8mm or 308. I have also heard that it can be set up for 7.62x54R as well. As was mentioned though you won't be doing much monvering with the 1919 once you have it set up.

The RPD will be much lighter and eassier to carry. The ammo will also probably be cheaper as well.

Both would probably be cool guns to have. I would say do you like WW2 guns or Sovit block guns better?

Lightning 351
09-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the replys guys.keep them coming!i really like both,but only have money for one right now.i am really leaning rpd,mostly because of ammo cost and I have many aks in that cal so I have alot of it.i have nowhere to shoot 1000yards,maybe 400 at most.my mind is open to the 1919.the rpd is gust more rifle like.but the 1919 might be more versitale??i am really split here,and app all the comments.

Schuetzenman
09-13-2012, 10:41 PM
I would also say that Schuetzman has covered it pretty well. To me the big drawback to the 1919 is finding the tri pod for it. When I was looking at getting one finding the correct tri pod that had the T&E still on it was hard and expensive. That was the main reason I never got one. I just kept saving my pennies and got a PKM instead.

Between the two I would rather have the 1919, it is just more interisting to me. I like the longer range and power of the 30-06. As has been mentnioned you can change it out fairly easily to 8mm or 308. I have also heard that it can be set up for 7.62x54R as well. As was mentioned though you won't be doing much monvering with the 1919 once you have it set up.

The RPD will be much lighter and eassier to carry. The ammo will also probably be cheaper as well.

Both would probably be cool guns to have. I would say do you like WW2 guns or Sovit block guns better?

The tripods put the weapon low to the ground for prone shooting or you have to sit in a pit to shoot it. I have a Vehicle mount pintle like Rat Patrol used for the kit I have. I just haven't ever built it up. That puts it at mid chest height or just under that. With some legs on it with some down angle the gun could be brought up to about shoulder level and allow for shooting it standing up. More comfortable at a gun range that way. Look at SARCO adds or their web site for 1919 accessories.

Helen Keller
09-14-2012, 05:44 AM
Do some push-ups.
OR build your 1919 in "Stinger" configuration.

Since they're both just range toys to burn ammo and make people ask stupid questions get what your are comfortable with.

P.S. IF you lengthen the actual trigger pad on a semi 1919 by about 2" you can achieve around 400RPM due to the leverage it gives you.

1 Patriot-of-many
09-17-2012, 12:45 AM
I use mine on both a bipod and Mag58 tripod with an adaptor an internet friend built for me. Mines an Israeli kit .308 Very accurate gun. Build it yourself. Very satisfying. First gun I ever built.

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad7/1Patriot-of-many/Photo0340.jpg
http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad7/1Patriot-of-many/photos0081.jpg

El Duce
09-17-2012, 03:21 PM
I have a 1919 in .308. Haven't shot it in years.