PDA

View Full Version : picked up another "serious precision instrument"

raxar
08-29-2010, 08:16 PM
after the dismal failure of my JC-penny/marlin 2035 to produce decent groups I'm been wanting a target .22. So I hit cabela's today and picked up a savage MK 2 in .22lr, they had them on sale for $219 with a bushnell 3x9 scope (also got a savage 93 in 17hmr ((same scope, same price)) because my mom wanted one). I was looking for a heavy barrel but have had no luck finding one. I must say after playing with it for a little I'm pretty pleased with it, fit and finish is pretty good and I like the accutrigger (still prefer the marlin version though). Hope to take it out tomorrow and see how she groups.

ubersoldate
08-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Nice!
Show some pics when you test her out!

I am in the need for a 22 bolt gun as well for my son..Been looking around..

awp101
08-29-2010, 09:28 PM
The Savage MkIIs are a really nice rifle for the money. They won't win a benchrest competition (unless you're up against say, Ray Charles or maybe me) and they won't win a beauty contest like an Anschutz might but they are solid performers.

Mine is old enough that it's a pre-Accu-Trigger and we bought it at Wal-Mart for $99 WITH the scope.

On the old forum I had a side by side "shootout" with it and my CZ452. The 452 outshot it but not by much as I recall. I also used it in the 50yd rimfire postal match we had on occasion. IIRC it was around a half inch or so on a pretty consistent basis off sandbags using Wolf MT. Any fliers were due to a loose trigger nut more than likely.:crazy:

Rifle Basix makes an adjustable sear for around $80 that can be adjusted to scary light if that's you're thing, but I don't know if it works on the AT models. I have a Savage 501F (.22 bolt pistol based on the MkII action) and the previous owner installed a RB sear in it. It was set light enough that if you closed the bolt a little too vigorously, it would fire. I've since backed it off but haven't had it back out to re-zero it since you have to remove the action from the stock to adjust it.

There's also a shim that can be done using thin metal (like a Coke can) but I don't recall the details. A search of Rimfire Central should turn that info up but it didn't work for me and I don't know if it works (or is needed) on the Accu-Trigger models. Mine failed the "hit the butt on the ground to see of the sear trips" test about 1 out of every 3 tries so I went back to stock.

Hondo
08-29-2010, 10:45 PM
I recently got the Savage BV version, it currently outperforms my CZ trainer but once the trainer gets a trigger job and a better scope, I expect the CZ to start coming out on top.

I haven't had it long but I am getting .5 groups with match ammo and I read a lot where Wolf (SK) Match is a great performer in the Savage.

Congratulations on your purchase!

old Grump
08-29-2010, 11:29 PM
I'm betting you are going to love it. After you get your scope/gun ammo issues in line post your good target in the competition rimfire thread. Show us some bragging shots.

raxar
08-30-2010, 08:11 PM
I think it's a winner.

took it out today for sighting in and things looked good, forgot my camera so no pictures, and I forgot my rest so I was stuck using the bi-pod off a sandbag. Out of the box I found it to be shooting 14-16 inches low and 3" right at 50, so much for bore sighting

tried 2 kinds of cheap wally world fodder, both federals, first was the 550 round 36 grn HP stuff which was really inconsistent groups probably averaged 1.5" but all over the place. other stuff was 40grn Hi-velocity solidsthat come 50 to a box (and are a little cheaper than the bricks) which did much better only gave me 3 groups that were over an inch (one of which was a 5 shot that would have been a little over half an inch if it were a 3 shot group) the rest were around 3/4" and I had 3 that went just over 1/2". So I would say I lucked out with this rifle hoping that it will do better off a proper rest with better ammo

target pics

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/74/l_a3d6c95c2a1144088eb900002610910e.jpg

those are all the same color targets, I just scanned some in B/W because it was taking way to long in color

raxar
08-30-2010, 08:41 PM
the best looking group of the day

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/135/l_cb8978967c2e4be1bd47fce623e8ab64.jpg

my plain jane .22

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/142/l_387cbef2774642408357e85210f758ef.jpg

old Grump
08-31-2010, 02:18 PM
Now you get to play the "Gimme a box of that and a box of that and a box of that and a ..." then you will find the ammo your gun likes the most just before they stop making it. By then it will be broke in good and will shoot almost everything good. Now how would I know that? Oh yeah, over $1000 spent on ammo the first year I bought my 10/22. 10 years later Remington Golden bullet and Winchester Super X get most of my shooting time but there aren't any bullets in my 22 pile that it doesn't shoot reasonably well.

My old Savage loves Remington green box standard velocity, no need to try anything else. I use the Caldwell dead shot front rest to shoot the groups I am so proud of. Probably half the size or better than my bipod groups so the bipod stays in the closet most of the time.

raxar
08-31-2010, 08:15 PM
I figured standard velocity would help, I just shot the stuff I had on hand. My dad has some remington match stuff but I have doubts as it didn't help my marlin. I have the bi-pod for my 06, it doesn't seem to detract much from it with certain loads. I tell ya I could deffinatly appreciate the difference between a day shooting .22's and a day shooting 180 grainers, the whole $2.00 it cost for a day of shooting was appreciated too