PDA

View Full Version : just bought a norinco mak 90

silentkilla
09-16-2012, 02:23 PM
just bought a mak 90 sporter and paid 550 for is that to much or did i run up on a good deal

imanaknut
09-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

$550 is not bad these days. I have seen them sell for $600 and up, but it depended on what came with the rifle.

buxman66
09-16-2012, 04:50 PM
I assume sporter is a stamped receiver?
I don't believe my stamped mak is labeled a sporter on mine.
Got mine for $485

ltorlo64
09-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Welcome to the group! Have you had a chance to shoot it. I would love to read a range report.

imanaknut
09-16-2012, 07:09 PM
I assume sporter is a stamped receiver?
I don't believe my stamped mak is labeled a sporter on mine.
Got mine for $485

As with all Chinese AK variants imported, the only rule was that there were no rules. Some were marked "MAK-90 Sporter", some just "MAK-90 SP", and some just "MAK-90". It didn't matter whether milled or stamped receiver.

buxman66
09-17-2012, 09:18 AM
Learn something new every day,thanks for the clarification!

silentkilla
09-30-2012, 05:42 PM
it shoots like a dream. and when i bought it someone had already changed the furniture out to a senthetic draganouv type, its the smoothest a.k i've shot in a long time exept for my bud's polytec underfolder. and thanks for welcoming me into the comunity. my first range visit with it i dialed it in and its hitting 1inch to two inch groups everytime! i love it!!! i just thought my a.r was accurate!LOL

imanaknut
09-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Glad you like it. The Chinese AK variants were among the more accurate of the AKs we have available in the land of shall not be infringed. Also, some MAK-90s had the Drag style stocks, I believe from ATI installed by the importer.

silentkilla
09-30-2012, 07:07 PM
hum? did not know that. i figured someone changed it. but since you said that, it does have the ati brand synthetic on it. thank you for the knowledge imanaknut! my freind wanted me to ask a few questions to, he has a type 56 norinco underfolder, how much do they run now a days?

silentkilla
09-30-2012, 07:12 PM
oh yeah buy the way, Itorlo64 that was at about 100 yards with iron sites, 1 to 2 inch groups at that range i think is good with open sites:sniper:

imanaknut
09-30-2012, 09:34 PM
Norinco 56S-1 underfolders in good to excellent condition are selling for around $1200 and up, with the up due to current silliness in the hobby and government.

2 inch groups at 100 yards with iron sights is very good for any rifle.

Back when the Chinese AK variants started coming into this country, the importers were trying to figure out what would sell. The biggest problem was back then the Vietnam stupidity as well as the cold war was still fresh in everyone's minds, so no one wanted "those commie weapons". The Keng family worked with Poly Technologies trying to figure out what would sell, but George Bush the First felt that the weapons looked too evil and by looks alone would cause honest people to become criminals. He forced ATF into enforcing the 1968 GCA and it's "sporting purpose" clause. That is what led to the Bush-hole stocks. Again they didn't sell so I believe one of the importers removed the wood and installed the plastic ATI set in hopes of driving sales. Once again this time a president pushed through legislation banning "evil" "assault rifles" by name, which put an end to importation of the MAK-90 and others.

imanaknut
09-30-2012, 10:07 PM
silentkilla, your rifle happen to look like this?

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Norinco_MAK-90_Stamped_2.JPG

Ok, maybe without the Romanian drum. :D

silentkilla
10-01-2012, 08:53 AM
holy shit !!!! how did you get my gun imanaknut!!! LMAO! that is it to the tee! sling and all! now if you put a 30 rounder in it and take the drum off they would be twins! lol

silentkilla
10-01-2012, 08:58 AM
as soon as my wife gets home with her phone i'll take a pic and post it for ya. then you'll have to tell me where to get one of them drums,lol. and my hats off to you you are a book of knowledge and i appretiate you sharing that with me, thank you:you-rock:

silentkilla
10-01-2012, 01:40 PM
http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1812&d=1349116811

silentkilla
10-01-2012, 01:42 PM
can't figure out how to post it on the thread but there it is. an't she a bute

silentkilla
10-01-2012, 03:28 PM
just to ask, what kind of receiver do i have on the mak 90? kinda new to ak's

buxman66
10-01-2012, 04:07 PM
I believe it's 1.5mm thick in the stamped version and 1.6mm in the milled. They also have the dbl. Hook spring which makes for a smoother trigger.

silentkilla
10-01-2012, 04:32 PM
yes! its got a nice trigger pull. pretty smooth with no slap at all

silentkilla
10-01-2012, 04:36 PM
also another question, the mak90 that imanaknut posted has rivets where my mak has bolts run through where it holds the trigger and the hammer in place, WTF is up with that? did someone change the group out to a g2 trigger group or what???

imanaknut
10-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Added your picture to your post. When you upload a photo, right click on it, click on copy or save URL. In your post window there is an icon that is what looks like a tree on yellow ground, Insert Image. Click on that button, select "from URL", uncheck the box and past the URL in the window. Click ok and you picture will be inserted into your post.

Your rifle is the standard Norinco stamped receiver AKM variant. The hammer and trigger axis pins look like they are from a B-squared scope mount. Hard to tell from the picture, but that is my guess.

It is also possible someone didn't know how to install the "shepherd's hook" that held the normal trigger and hammer axis pins in place, or lost them and used a bolt instead.

G2 trigger groups are stamped "G2", so look closely, but they would be obvious if so stamped. Also some Chinese hammers had a gold or "goldish" purple finish.

silentkilla
10-01-2012, 05:34 PM
your right its got the goldish looking hammer. so you think it just where someone had a scope mount on it? its real clean like it was bought for it not just thrown together so your probably right. thanks for the info

quicksdraw
10-04-2012, 03:51 AM
Imanaknut, yours looks just like mine ( or would sans the drum). I bought mine brand new at the Indy 1500 in '90. I replaced the original thumb hole stock with the Druganov style almost immediately. It still shoots like a dream (better than either of my newer AKs) and it is one of the few guns I own that will never be sold or traded. BTW, I paid $229 for it.

El Laton Caliente
10-04-2012, 05:15 AM
Can you take a close up of the bolts? IIRC, the fiberforce stock used some screws for the fore grip, but there should not be any bolt holding in the trigger.

imanaknut
10-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Can you take a close up of the bolts? IIRC, the fiberforce stock used some screws for the fore grip, but there should not be any bolt holding in the trigger.

What looks like bolts holding the trigger and hammer could be what was supplied with the B-square scope mount. It is also possible if they are in fact bolts with nuts on the end, someone lost the original axis pins and installed the next best thing, a bolt. So yes a close up picture would be nice.

Welcome to the group quicksdraw !!! :welcome: And welcome fellow Hoosier!!! I am just north of Indy.

It is amazing what the original prices were for MAK-90s and how long they stayed that low because nobody wanted "those commie rifles". That was until they found out how nice a MAK-90 really is to shoot. I would like to run the 1990 price through an inflation calculator to find out what that would be in 2012 dollars.

silentkilla
10-04-2012, 04:54 PM
yes i will as soon as my wife gets back from picking the kids up from school.

silentkilla
10-04-2012, 04:58 PM
imanaknut, you still need to tell me where to get one of the romy drums in the photo at a good deal, lol

imanaknut
10-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Actually was given that one because it was broken. The previous owner lost the dummy rounds that push the real rounds through the scroll, and the main spring was disconnected. I reattached the spring, and made some dummy rounds from some spent cases. Then I found out that dummy rounds aren't needed if you just load it until full, and realize that the last three rounds can't feed. Works like a charm. As to where to get one, they should be available for $75 and less, but some people play on the seemingly always happening upcoming ban and try to sell them for more. Don't believe it.

Aim Surplus has them now and then, same with Centerfire, Copes, Sportsman's Guide, and the usually places that we buy AK stuff from. Just a matter of checking around for the best price. Every now and then one shows up on Gunbroker for a good price as long as nobody gets into a bidding war with you.

Personally I like the wind-up drums that started in China and got copied by a few others. It is really nice to be able to load the mag from the rear, and not have the main spring under constant tension. The big warning about a Chinese drum is the spring release button. If you are not used to them, pushing the button to release spring pressure makes a really loud bang that if you are not aware of, can scare the crap out of you. Also under the spring release is a really nice hand shredder. I always use a dowel rod or screw driver to release the spring pressure on my Chinese drums.

silentkilla
10-04-2012, 05:28 PM
o.k thanks. as soon as my wife gets home i will send you all some pics of the bolts i was talking about on the mak.

silentkilla
10-04-2012, 05:35 PM
i still might have a little trouble with the pics but i uploead them on the site and maybe you can give me a hand like the last one ? if you don't mind that is.:eyebrows:

silentkilla
10-04-2012, 06:16 PM

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1824&d=1349392580

silentkilla
10-04-2012, 06:27 PM

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1825&d=1349393038

imanaknut
10-04-2012, 07:40 PM
That is the base for the B-square scope mount.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/583331/b-square-military-weaver-style-scope-base-with-1-rings-ak-47-and-mak-90-receiver-mount-gloss

The Allen head bolts seen in the picture thread into the nuts that are still on your rifle. They use a special axis pin with threads on both ends to replace the standard one. The nuts then lock the pin in place and provide the mounting points for the scope base in the photo.

silentkilla
10-04-2012, 08:02 PM
well i'll be, are the mounts sturdy enough to keep your scope on zero or do they have wobble in them??

silentkilla
10-04-2012, 08:16 PM
imanaknut, you have to check this out, i think you will fall in love! go to armslist.com hit alabama get on the rifle section and check out the russian draganouv tiger some one has posted, its B E A U T I F U L:smiley31:

imanaknut
10-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Nice TIGR, but I can't believe the price! I paid nowhere near that for mine!

imanaknut
10-04-2012, 08:45 PM
well i'll be, are the mounts sturdy enough to keep your scope on zero or do they have wobble in them??

Although I have had two AK variants with the B-square mount, I can't tell you how well they work. The first rifle I bought with one already installed had it last only a few seconds before I removed it. You see when they designed it for the bolt handle to slide into the mount, they didn't leave enough clearance for a finger, and the mount worked nicely to slice my hand open, which didn't make me too happy.

silentkilla
10-04-2012, 09:06 PM
lol! i hear ya, yeah its crazy how much the rpk, psl, russian varieties have went up in the last 20 years, hell in the last 10 years at that. some people think they are sitting on a 15lb block of gold or better yet platinum. and about the scope mount thats rediculous can someone not design a simple mount that works in every way( when that is what you get paid to do in the first place)!! and then market the design before you work out the flaws? that is just stupid in my opinion.