PDA

View Full Version : I sure hope that ammo will be realy valuable if things go south...

O.S.O.K.
08-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Because at the rate things are going, I'm not going to have much silver bought or debt paid down by the end of this year - or even the end of next year.

I'm thinking of putting a bunch of my gun collection up for sale and using the money to put into silver - or pay off the debt from my daughter's wedding and some other expenses we got slammed with recently (car repairs, son needing shit for college, etc.).

It's really very hard to prepare like I want to. I wish I'd started earlier.

I think we are going to see some shit sooner than later.

I've been feeling this way for the last couple of years but it seems to be ramping up...?

UncleMike
08-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Because at the rate things are going, I'm not going to have much silver bought or debt paid down by the end of this year - or even the end of next year.

I'm thinking of putting a bunch of my gun collection up for sale and using the money to put into silver - or pay off the debt from my daughter's wedding and some other expenses we got slammed with recently (car repairs, son needing shit for college, etc.).

It's really very hard to prepare like I want to. I wish I'd started earlier.

I've been feeling this way for the last couple of years but it seems to be ramping up...?
My feelings exactly!
Americans are fed up with being lied to, and cheated by, their elected officials.
I sincerely hope that it doesn't get bad enough for people to snap and start a shooting war.
Another American Revolution would destroy the country and leave us open for take over by a foreign power.
Mike

ubersoldate
08-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Haha...the other end of the world thread not get the right response?

If I was you, I would for sure get spooked and sell off your gun collection for silver..

For me, I think Ill sit on my guns, and see what happens.
I just wish I could bet some of the triple Xl patriots on the outcome, Id be sittin on alot of silver and gold in a few years!

Its because they are playing the commercials alot more now on fox news.
Ya see, at first, they got a ton of people buying P-metals as fast as possible due to the crashing government and new president, and now that most intelligent people know, that guns, meds, food, and just paying OFF your debts is the safer ways to go, these companys need to get more people, hence the more comercials.
I mean I know people who bought pounds of gold, but still have huge notes on their homes and cars.
You have to love the advertising machine and the media..
Feels good to be a demographic I guess.

jojo
08-29-2010, 11:32 PM
Keep your guns. If the SHTF then you can swap lead for all of the gold, silver and food from the ones who didn't buy guns.

On a serious note. I wouldn't be hoarding dollar bills. I think they'll be worthless.

chiak47
08-30-2010, 12:08 AM
Haha...the other end of the world thread not get the right response?
Feels good to be a demographic I guess.

Uber...
On a serious note...I'm not slamming you and I know your an intelligent family man.
But please tell me; why is it that you bash others who prepare for the inevitable?

I love this nation as much as the next guy but the road that we are on is coming to a brick wall and all we are doing is gaining speed. There is nothing that we the people can do at this point other than prepare for the worst case scenarios.
Unless you disagree and you have a way that this great nation can sweep through the 13 trillion in KNOWN debt (Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae debts are not included in the national debt) Our debt could be as high as twenty trillion dollars...
13 trillion = $40,000+ for every man woman and child amongst us..Point is..A family of 4 has to contribute $160,000+ to the national debt to pay it off. Our great nation is having a hard time each month making it's interest payments on the debt we owe.

Our house of cards is going to collapse and the smart thing to do is prepare for what is coming cause it sure as fuck won't be pretty.

$1,000,000,000,000 looks like....
http://static.twoday.net/mahalanobis/images/pallet_x_10000.jpg

Charliebravo
08-30-2010, 12:59 AM
I'm down to just the mortgage....with 2 years left. I'm pretty well set on guns and ammo, but I still buy a little .223 and 9mm every now and again. Need more food, but my storage space is extremely limited and Mrs. 'Bravo would think that I'd lost it if I started piling cases and buckets of food up in the living room. Got about $5K in metals. The plan is to pay the house off, then buy a piece of land (future retirement location) in rural E. Texas. I'm getting a bad vibe too, OSOK. I just hope I can get everything squared away before anything major happens.

ubersoldate
08-30-2010, 01:41 AM
Uber...
On a serious note...I'm not slamming you and I know your an intelligent family man.
But please tell me; why is it that you bash others who prepare for the inevitable?

I guess it was my upbringing.
I understand the theory that people need to prepare for the end of the world, but perhaps its seeing some of the places I saw as a child, and teen that gave me my opinion.
If a shtf situation happened in America, much like yugoslavia, then yes, mres and bullets are worthwhile.
I just fall into the crowd, that thinks, it must be an American thing, to prepare with the material aspects, completly throwing out the reality of the situation.
Its like a mid life crisis to many here.
Its as if, they saw a guy in a movie hold off the enemy, and since they watched it seven times, they to now have the ability to do the same.
The easy way out.

I dont take people seriously who feel that they are a part of the "doing something " crowd because they write on the internet to more of thier "do something" crowd while neither actually does something.
Im not against it, I just dont pay attention to it, or respect those that portray such a image.

In reality, those that stock material aspects will do better than those who dont, but those who ONLY stock material goods, never realizing that the things that will prepare them for the next Yugoslavia is right in front of them, and without such things, will be nothing but food.

Fact is, those people make me laugh, they have been marginalized to a sales demographic.
The thing the tea party groups, and survivalists have strived to hard to fight against have become the next fad.
The media, the corporations pray on these stupid people.
They have comercials on tv for them, they aim their business marketing stratagy towards them.
They BANK on their fear, and their idiocy.
I do not like being insulted by being put into a demographic for sales teams, it is slap in the face.

If in your heart, without a doubt think that a collapse is right around the corner, then why not get ones self prepared physically or mentally?
I just dont see how people justify the aspect that they need to listen to the commercials and buy more gold, rather than pay off the notes on their bills, or get their mind and body straight with training, and getting in shape.
Perhaps its a modern thing that states that monetary aspects will save you.
Great you can buy a nice pack, but your too fat to haul it more than ten feet.

Maybe it doesnt make sense, and thats fine, as its just an opinion.
But doing the monetary side of things and not the training aspect, or preparing ones body will lead you to being a victim just as fast if not faster.
And so many of those who talk the most, are the farthest from being prepared, or living off the grid.

Ever notice at gunsnet that our known combat veterans chime in on such subjects but never run their mouths, starting 2-3 doom threads a week, let alone a day?
Ever wonder why that is?

Its a fairy tale, these armchair sirvivalists know it as well, as if they didnt they would look at the history books, the newspapers, and talk to those who were just in these meat grinders over seas and realize what they have been preaching is alot of pulp, nothing more.

Its nature as well.
I see the guy down the block stockpiling, and getting his ducks in a row financially, getting his ass in shape, getting what training he can get his hands on, and most of all, not talking about it, Im gonna take notice.

ubersoldate
08-30-2010, 01:59 AM
Do you ever see people in this shtf threads stating stuff like,

-Im taking emt classes
-Ive started a massive workout to get back in shape
-Ive sold off my new cars, to get dependable old ones that wont stick out
-I paid off my house, no more debt for me
-Ive dumped my credit cards, getting off the grid
-Im moving to the sticks to get a buffer zone around my family
-Im taking rifle and pistol courses to get me up to speed with my shooting
-Im growing my own food in a home garden

I think we dont see those bragged about as much, as its easier to buy gold on the internet, while never leaving ones chair.

And if one isnt ready to make life changing decisions to prepare themselves for this coming situation, then how can anyone with a right mind look at them and think they actually believe that this coming shtf is even real?

Its worth the effort of our money, not worth the effort of our sweat.

HDR
08-30-2010, 05:27 AM
Well said Uber....

If people really believed it they would be doing a whole bunch of things they aren't doing..

Plus, if people actually tried being a nomadic guerrilla warrior for a while they wouldm't be so eager about being one.

lol

Dan Morris
08-30-2010, 07:59 AM
Ammo and components I am still good on.....only have house payment, caned goods are ok...freezer is 1/3 full and hunting season is only 60 days away...will wait n see.
Dan

AKTexas
08-30-2010, 08:29 AM
If things go south I just hope to be cognitive enough to gather my family to me and get out of the hot spots.

Can you really be prepared for the shtf?You might think so but no one really is ready for this to happen.No one was ready for the depression many of the wealthy were poor the next day.

For those of you with children living away from you,what happens when your children are caught in the middle of the storm without communication,without a way out?What are you going to do?How will you get to them?

I have done what I can do for such an event it may not be much but things are in place as best they can be.I cannot sit in fear of the what if scenarios I have to go out to work,school and live my life day to day rather than let the future consume me.

btcave
08-30-2010, 08:47 AM

-Im taking emt classes
-Im growing my own food in a home garden.

-Im taking emt classes
Combat Lifesaver Classes. I'm not a doctor, but I can keep someone alive long enough to get to one.

In shape at the moment

91 Honda Civic count? 40 mpg hwy. Also dirt bike and quad. I'm not giving up the 2004 F350 Diesel!

Payed 30,000 of debt off in the last year.

Done, not concerned with "getting off the grid" Debt is not a good thing to have if things get bad. The bank will still want to get their payments, and the gov will be there still to enforce it. One of the most likely scenarios will be loss of job. Debt is not good.

Done. Only because I like the country, not for any survival reason.

20 years Infantry

Done, but this is not a good year for growing, still, I got lots of veggies this year.

I'm not big into TEOTWAWKI. Just taking a lesson from Grandpa and making myself able to weather bad times.

chiak47
08-30-2010, 09:02 AM
I just dont see how people justify the aspect that they need to listen to the commercials and buy more gold, rather than pay off the notes on their bills, or get their mind and body straight with training, and getting in shape.

You got me on this...One would assume that physical training would be #1 but I suppose your right.
In fact...you had me agreeing with everything you stated. Well done.

Brilliant catch phrase...
In other words...Welcome to post nuclear age America. :lool:

If a shtf situation happened in America, much like yugoslavia, then yes, mres and bullets are worthwhile.
I thought about this for a minute and I have to add that if we were to go down like Yugoslavia then IMO it will be much worse due to the fact that there will be no America to step in to cool off heads.

Want a small glimpse of America in post America...
*Look at what happens when a large urban area's basketball team win/looses the big game.
*Look at video from Katrina...
*Look at the evacuation fiasco caused by the government over hurricane Rita.

Now imagine those situations on a national level due to no money for defense or other vital infrastructure.

Plus, if people actually tried being a nomadic guerrilla warrior for a while they wouldn't be so eager about being one.

I live out in the sticks and it's the nomadic warrior I'm going to try to defend my family against..

...FWIW...
I hope my foe spends all his time collecting gear and not worrying about the fact that he is 300 pounds.
I hope my foe never trains in harsh winter environments or heavy mosquito infested n.WI forests.
I hope my future foe has a brand new Camry in his driveway instead of a decked out 4x4 loaded for bear.
I hope my foe loves his Larue AR15 so much that he refuses to scratch it by training with it. I really hope the fuck has 10,000 rounds in the trunk of his camry.

Charliebravo
08-30-2010, 09:10 AM
Uber, I'll agree that most of what we see is nothing more than internet bravado. Not liking the current the current political situation, there are some that DO want violence to right the ship; however, I think that those people are a very small minority. Hell, I went for a month with an air conditioner on the blink and was pissed. Now, add to that no food, water, phones, cable, internet, lights, gasoline, or functional plumbing. Not exactly a scenario that I'd want to go through.

Unfortunately, our leaders have made decisions over the last 30 years, most of them in the last 10 years, that are going to have serious repercussions for the next 4 generations, at least. By paying down debt, saving some money, and stocking up on some essentials, I am merely preparing for what could become an economic reality in the next few years. As for the guns and ammo, those are for those who didn't plan for the economic realities. Looking at a starving wife and kids will drive an otherwise decent man into savagery to feed them. Although I can sympathize with his plight, he's not going to feed his family at the expense of mine.

I truly pray that it never comes to that though. I want my kids to have even more opportunities than I had; however, given our current situation and debt, I think that's doubtful. I am planning as if they're going to be on my dime for a long time. It's not that I think they'll be stupid or lazy, it's just that there won't be the opportunities that we've had.

As for the internet commandos sitting in front of the computer in their mossy oak camo with the SKS propped against the wall.......they'll probably be the first to die anyway, so it's a win-win. They'll get to be martyrs, and the rest of us won't have to listen to their mall ninja ramblings anymore.

O.S.O.K.
08-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Uber, if you look at the other thread that you referrence (Genl Disc) you will see that it talks about revolution - people talking about revolution. This thread is talking about economic depression and what actions to take to be prepared, which is why I posted in the survival forum. So your ascertion in your first reply is unfounded and silly. It makes you look like you are stretching for something to critisize me over? You don't need to do that - you have plenty to say and contribute - that I am interested in and appreciate.

And to those making like a violent revolution is something that "preppers" want or dream about - is just stupid. Seriously, if you read Uber's prep list - he's preparing more for confilct with his list than people that are discussing gardens, water sources and a way to remain financially solvent. The proof is in the lists - its completely obvious. Not that there is anything to ridicule about that IMHO. In fact, I am starting to incorporate some of that into my preps too.

One man's list of preparations is just that - his list. I don't buy that one list in a certain area from a certain type of person in a certain type of situation is "the" list.

I will not ridicule or demean other's preparation lists or what they prioritize - to do so is to quell the exchange of information which is of benefit to us all and the best purpose of this forum.

How's that for being morally superior? :coffee:

Seriously, if we all stop and think about critisizing each other before we hit the post button, we'd waste far less time with BS back and forth replies.

ubersoldate
08-30-2010, 04:09 PM
-Im taking emt classes
Combat Lifesaver Classes. I'm not a doctor, but I can keep someone alive long enough to get to one.

In shape at the moment

91 Honda Civic count? 40 mpg hwy. Also dirt bike and quad. I'm not giving up the 2004 F350 Diesel!

Payed 30,000 of debt off in the last year.

Done, not concerned with "getting off the grid" Debt is not a good thing to have if things get bad. The bank will still want to get their payments, and the gov will be there still to enforce it. One of the most likely scenarios will be loss of job. Debt is not good.

Done. Only because I like the country, not for any survival reason.

20 years Infantry

Done, but this is not a good year for growing, still, I got lots of veggies this year.

I'm not big into TEOTWAWKI. Just taking a lesson from Grandpa and making myself able to weather bad times.

I like your style.
Seems like the grandpa's out there didnt need internet revolution web rings, gold coins, and 7000 rounds for their sks.
They had to be able to WORK, they had to be able to take care of their family, they had to be able to adapt.

If people really believed that the end is near, and a economic collapse is at hand, they would know from history, that those who can WORK outside, with their hands will adapt and survive. Its not about being some billy bad ass fighter.

There is a reason that they make XXXL bdu's that are for sale at gunshows but never saw a military installation.

ubersoldate
08-30-2010, 04:19 PM
So your ascertion in your first reply is unfounded and silly. It makes you look like you are stretching for something to critisize me over?

Its not unfounded its real. Its everyday if something horrible happened. Your health is the real deal. It is the main issue above everything else.
Something happen and you are miles from your home, and you have to hoof it, you going to make it to your gold coins?
Will said coins stop a group from killing your children? Raping your wife?
No. It wont do a damn thing if you arent there to stop it, and protect them.

In the real world the odds of a person living through ONE gunfight without medical support, BP vests, or back up is against him, but add being grossly out of shape, your numbers go down drastically. This isnt a movie.

This isnt about you, you can take it is, which is you making it so, not me.
This is a forum, we are allowed to make our statements, and the comments are about the subject, period.
Moral superiority means nothing when you cant run the 4 miles back to your house to save your family.

THESE ARE THE THINGS THAT SHOULD BE DISCUSSED HERE. THESE ARE THE TOPICS THAT BRING PEOPLE WITH REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE HERE. Not revolutionary bullshit topics about shit that wont matter one bit when the real fighting starts.

Blacksmith
08-30-2010, 04:53 PM
There is a reason that they make XXXL bdu's that are for sale at gunshows but never saw a military installation. LMAO

Well done uber!
Good read. and I agree 100%.

HDR
08-30-2010, 05:40 PM
To trade gold or silver for food or ammunition I'd need a set of accurate scales (reloading scales) and a means of being certain it is gold or silver. Somehow, I think I'd keep my food and ammunition rather than mess with it.

There is a reason that they make XXXL bdu's that are for sale at gunshows but never saw a military installation.

The reason for making them is money; so what's the reason for buying them??

Lysander
08-30-2010, 05:58 PM

-Im taking emt classes

I think we dont see those bragged about as much, as its easier to buy gold on the internet, while never leaving ones chair.

And if one isnt ready to make life changing decisions to prepare themselves for this coming situation, then how can anyone with a right mind look at them and think they actually believe that this coming shtf is even real?

Hehe, the last time I mentioned something like that I was called an "asshole" and told how mean I was.

O.S.O.K.
08-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Uber, I have no dispute with what you just posted... other than you completely missed my point (editing it out in fact) and went on to say what you wanted to say regardless.

Fine - just next time, post your own physical fitness thread instead of continually jacking other people's threads.

ubersoldate
08-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Hehe, the last time I mentioned something like that I was called an "asshole" and told how mean I was.

Yea, he basically will skirt around the issue now.

Sometimes I get the idea that this survival forum is much like ray charles being a race car driver.

Mark Ducati
08-30-2010, 06:16 PM
In all honesty, I can see some ISOLATED skirmishes where a group of pissed off people are shootin' back at the government... but there will NOT be another revolution.

Why?

Because the government controls the military, and in spite of what's been discussed before, soldiers will follow their orders and put civilians in FEMA/Concentration camps if ordered to do so.

Civilians cannot go head to head with a couple AR15's or AK's converted to full auto... We have no tanks, no jets, no support.

What was the operation the german's tried to use to overthrow Hitler (you saw the Tom Cruise movie, Valkyrie)? Their national guard was to take jurisdiction and control over the military or something... that's what it'd take to overthrow the US current government. We'd need the military on our side, and I don't see that happening.

ubersoldate
08-30-2010, 06:18 PM
In all honesty, I can see some ISOLATED skirmishes where a group of pissed off people are shootin' back at the government... but there will NOT be another revolution.

Why?

Because the government controls the military, and in spite of what's been discussed before, soldiers will follow their orders and put civilians in FEMA/Concentration camps if ordered to do so.

Civilians cannot go head to head with a couple AR15's or AK's converted to full auto... We have no tanks, no jets, no support.

What was the operation the german's tried to use to overthrow Hitler (you saw the Tom Cruise movie, Valkyrie)? Their national guard was to take jurisdiction and control over the military or something... that's what it'd take to overthrow the US current government. We'd need the military on our side, and I don't see that happening.

Stop it man, that is complete crazy talk.
Reality has no place here!

HDR
08-30-2010, 07:10 PM
I live out in the sticks

I live in the sticks also.

it's the nomadic warrior I'm going to try to defend my family against..

Interesting statement and I have thoughts along the same lines.

By reading these kind of threads it doesn't take a degree in rocket science to notice some folks plan on carrying a lot of weapons and a lot of ammunition for them. So I have a funny feeling the guerrilla warriors will be hungry, dirty, perhaps in need of medicine etc. All of which "preppers" have and they will want.

When a person heads out so well equipped to wage war; he can't be carrying much of anything else.

O.S.O.K.
08-31-2010, 09:10 PM
Yea, he basically will skirt around the issue now.

Sometimes I get the idea that this survival forum is much like ray charles being a race car driver.

Uber, I know this will surprise you, but you don't get to define every discussion.

There's nothing wrong with discussing getting and staying in shape - and I know that you dearly enjoy discussing it and badgering everybody about it.

Why don't you go hit on the guys talking about getting cheap tobacco? I think you could do a lot more good with them. I'm sure they will appreciate your input.

There are other aspects of "survival" which apparently you don't want anyone to talk about. Or that's what it seems as you continually jack just about any thread that comes up and insert your favorite topic.

Its gotten to the "troll" stage.

Why don't you see about getting a physical fitness forum going or something? That would be a positive use of your energy. :)

ubersoldate
08-31-2010, 09:43 PM
Uber, I know this will surprise you, but you don't get to define every discussion.

There's nothing wrong with discussing getting and staying in shape - and I know that you dearly enjoy discussing it and badgering everybody about it.

Why don't you go hit on the guys talking about getting cheap tobacco? I think you could do a lot more good with them. I'm sure they will appreciate your input.

There are other aspects of "survival" which apparently you don't want anyone to talk about. Or that's what it seems as you continually jack just about any thread that comes up and insert your favorite topic.

Its gotten to the "troll" stage.

Why don't you see about getting a physical fitness forum going or something? That would be a positive use of your energy. :)

The topic came up in this thread, and I commented on it. If you dont like what I post feel free to put me on ignore, I promise you two things, I wont be heartbroken, and two, I still am going to throw a dose of reality into everyone of your survival end of the world threads.

I had to edit to add this..

Since this is "just a economic thread, not a shtf" when in reality, thats all you post!

O.S.O.K.
09-01-2010, 02:00 PM
I still think you should go for the forum - you obviously are very much into it and would it would be a good forum.

All else aside.

And I reserve my ignore switch for LAGC, maser and the like. Sorry, but you don't make that list! :dammit: :D

crapshoot
09-01-2010, 03:36 PM
I find these threads as pure amusement.

My grandmother and my mom went to the "Tea Party" rally in DC last weekend. When I asked them why, they both said it was because all their friends were going to it.

With that, the Tea Party movement has become nothing more than a trend for middle aged people and to fuel middle aged men into some twisted dream of youthful revolt.

Charliebravo
09-01-2010, 03:56 PM
With that, the Tea Party movement has become nothing more than a trend for middle aged people and to fuel middle aged men into some twisted dream of youthful revolt.

I only watched it on TV, but I didn't see anything having to do with revolution or violence. Maybe a few "Don't Tread on Me" t-shirts, but that was about it.

El Jefe
09-01-2010, 04:11 PM
I only watched it on TV, but I didn't see anything having to do with revolution or violence. Maybe a few "Don't Tread on Me" t-shirts, but that was about it.

Anything Crapshot isn't in to, is BS. :whatever:

HDR
09-01-2010, 04:31 PM
to fuel middle aged men into some twisted dream of youthful revolt.

They were fueled long before I ever heard of the Tea Party; obviously excluding the Boston one. lol

It is the Walter Mitty syndrome

Walter Mitty is a fictional character in James Thurber's short story "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty", first published in The New Yorker on March 18, 1939, and in book form in My World and Welcome to It in 1942. It was made into a film in 1947.

Mitty is a meek, mild man with a vivid fantasy life: in a few dozen paragraphs he imagines himself a wartime pilot, an emergency-room surgeon, and a devil-may-care killer. The character's name has come into more general use to refer to an ineffectual dreamer, appearing in several dictionaries.[1] The American Heritage Dictionary defines a Walter Mitty as "an ordinary, often ineffectual person who indulges in fantastic daydreams of personal triumphs".[2] The most famous of Thurber's inept male protagonists, the character is considered "the archetype for dreamy, hapless, Thurber Man".

O.S.O.K.
09-02-2010, 09:34 AM
The tea parties are about preventing revolution. Anybody that isn't involved or hasn't taken the time to look into it might think otherwise - attributing their own motivations to others given the actions taken.

The teaparty protests are about working the sytem to force change from within by setting the agenda and creating the candidates needed for the next election.

I think they are also about retired people and yes, older middle aged types looking back and wishing that they'd been more active in the past politically - and now wanting to make up for lost time.

Crapshoot is walter middy thinking he's intellegent and inciteful. He is sitting at home and making judgements and critisizing people that are out doing something positive.

HDR
09-02-2010, 08:59 PM
The Tea party is actually doing something. The discussion was about "middle aged men into some twisted dream of youthful revolt;" not the Tea Party.

I'm sort of lost, where did the tea party pop up from other than your post?

American Rage
09-02-2010, 10:02 PM
1. Because at the rate things are going, I'm not going to have much silver bought or debt paid down by the end of this year - or even the end of next year.

2. I'm thinking of putting a bunch of my gun collection up for sale and using the money to put into silver - or pay off the debt from my daughter's wedding and some other expenses we got slammed with recently (car repairs, son needing shit for college, etc.).

3. It's really very hard to prepare like I want to. I wish I'd started earlier.

4. I think we are going to see some shit sooner than later.

5. I've been feeling this way for the last couple of years but it seems to be ramping up...?

1. First thing you need to do is NO MORE DEBTS! I don't know what your future holds (more weddings?), but I'd get together with my family and draw a line. Do everything possible to save money.

2. I don't blame you for wanting to sell part of your collection. However, you should be warned that it's now a buyers market for everything, in my mind at least. Therefore, you can expect to lose money. Still, if you have a specific goal in ming (ammo, silver, debt payment, survival gardening, etc.,etc.) it might well be worth it. I sold off part of my collection and now concentrate on only 4 calibers: 22lr, 9mm, 12ga., and 5.56. I don't think I have a lot of ammo, compared to some, but I do think I have a lot compared to many.

3. Avoid the violence, keep your job, and fend for yourself the best you can. Anyone with a brain should be able to outlast anyone without a brain. Throw in a steady job (most important thing), a home garden, and real frugality and you should always have a much better chance than not. Even if one loses everything, they can pick up a job, any job, and start over. Hopefully much wiser than before.

4. I think your right. I predict some violence in some areas. But mostly I see us becoming another 3rd world nation. If not, then it will likely get worse, much worse. Seriously, we're talking about the breakup of the US. Still, until it's at your doorstep, you can continue to prepare.

5. That's b/c the economy is going down, and peoples debts are coming due. The real violence will occur when people find out that this was all planned in order to usher the global agenda.

Rage

O.S.O.K.
09-03-2010, 08:32 AM
The Tea party is actually doing something. The discussion was about "middle aged men into some twisted dream of youthful revolt;" not the Tea Party.

I'm sort of lost, where did the tea party pop up from other than your post?

You're kidding right? Reply #29. Of course, it was a crapshoot reply and you may simply not count that or have him on ignore...?

If you are reffering to my subject matter otherwise, the point is that the whole idea of middle aged men living some dream is simple way the hell off in left field in relation to the tea party - that's just not "it".

Rage - response 2 is why I'm holding on to them - you are right, we are at a "market low" for firearms right now. I should have sold them during the panic when bam bam was elected if I was going to do it...

HDR
09-03-2010, 02:27 PM
You're kidding right? Reply #29. Of course, it was a crapshoot reply and you may simply not count that or have him on ignore...?

I'm an admin so no one is on my ignore list actually people I'd like to ignore are the ones I get to pay attention. I'm surprised you entertained such an idea that any member of any website's staff would use the ignore function.

If you are reffering to my subject matter otherwise, the point is that the whole idea of middle aged men living some dream is simple way the hell off in left field in relation to the tea party - that's just not "it".

Is that why they sell BDUs in such big sizes? lol. Tea Party people are committed people who are hard workers. I am still wondering why you brought up the Tea Party; I am involved locally and I haven't seen a case of internet bravado there yet.

Before you head that way poking fun at "middle aged men into some twisted dream of youthful revolt" has nothing to do with middle age either... Walter Mitty was someone who would imagine he was "wartime pilot, an emergency-room surgeon, and a devil-may-care killer." A Walter Mitty would never see himself as a member of a grass roots organization such as the Tea Party. A Walter Mitty would imagine himself saving them. lol

To be clear:

As for the internet commandos sitting in front of the computer in their mossy oak camo with the SKS propped against the wall.......they'll probably be the first to die anyway, so it's a win-win. They'll get to be martyrs, and the rest of us won't have to listen to their mall ninja ramblings anymore.

That is what I was referencing and to be blunt I agree with Charliebravo and Uber.

What I would like to know is how did you spin anything I said into something to do with the Tea Party? Why would I insult them as I am one of them.

The TP is a really a cool organization; the members have a focus on issues that affect us all. So far they haven't wasted their breath on this one is Green and that one clear cuts for a living.

O.S.O.K.
09-04-2010, 05:54 PM
I find these threads as pure amusement.

My grandmother and my mom went to the "Tea Party" rally in DC last weekend. When I asked them why, they both said it was because all their friends were going to it.

HDR - this is where the Tea Party was first mentioned and you commented on it with an apended quote with this: " They were fueled long before I ever heard of the Tea Party; obviously excluding the Boston one. lol

It is the Walter Mitty syndrome... etc."

So I don't understand any confusion over when the Tea Party was first brought up...

And my next post wasn't purely a retort or response to you specifically - more to idea that Tea Parties are populated by such - which is what it sounded like you were agreeing with, bringing up Walter Mitty?

If not, then I misunderstood you.

NBD

ubersoldate
09-04-2010, 06:01 PM
I dont think anyone in their right mind is anti teaparty in this thread.
Im sure there are different opinions on what they are doing, and how they are going about it, but I would think here, that even those would be FOR.

I think we are talking more about the internet tough revolution talk we see alot. Not always here either, just in general.
Its just here, its more fun to make fun of than other places!

O.S.O.K.
09-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Agree. It did strike me as "queer" that the ascersion was being made in the first place - which should have tipped me off to look closer. Especially from HDR!

If I really want to see some of the internet tough guy BS I can go get a dose on arfcom...

HDR
09-05-2010, 10:20 PM
I think we are talking more about the internet tough revolution talk we see alot. Not always here either, just in general.
Its just here, its more fun to make fun of than other places!

Some have been revolting so long they have enough seniority to be vested.. :D

True, when the site was down I read a lot of BBS sites. A lot of them have made some great preparations but are innocent as hell about how to protect their assets and crops.

recon
09-06-2010, 12:56 PM
I'll agree on that. When this site went down I did find this site. Seems to have some decent info and people on it.

http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.net/index.php

insider
09-07-2010, 05:59 AM

-Im taking emt classes

That all takes hard work, most people prefer to take the easy way out.
One more thing, you guys forget to mention stocking up on booze, cigarettes, and coffee-very good barter items.

Schuetzenman
09-07-2010, 07:01 AM
I sure hope that ammo will be realy valuable if things go south...
If things go .... South, everything will be valuable that is life sustaining; food, bandaids, peroxide, rubbing alcohol, betadine, cans of soda pop etc. It won't only be bullets. On that subject, who you going to trust to sell any too? If they don't have ammo and you sell them some, how you going to assure yourself they don't turn around and shoot you with the ammo you just sold them and take all your stuff?

mrkalashnikov
09-07-2010, 07:01 AM
I agree 100% with the premise that being in good physical condition should be priority #1 for dealing with any emegency situation. A person can have stockpiled MREs and ammo cans up to the bunker ceiling, but it won't do you much good if you can't run 10 yards without getting winded or an asthma attack. In addition... saving money, staying out of debt, getting useful medical & weapons training, and using some good-old fashioned American Common Sense will go much further than armor plating the 4x4 and loading more tactical accessories onto the poodle-shooter.

O.S.O.K.
09-07-2010, 07:35 AM
Oh crap, forgot about armor plating the 4x4... I'll have to get right on that.... :dammit: :D

AKTexas
09-07-2010, 07:54 AM
If things go .... South, everything will be valuable that is life sustaining; food, bandaids, peroxide, rubbing alcohol, betadine, cans of soda pop etc. It won't only be bullets. On that subject, who you going to trust to sell any too? If they don't have ammo and you sell them some, how you going to assure yourself they don't turn around and shoot you with the ammo you just sold them and take all your stuff?

Just my thoughts exactly.The ammo will not be used as a commodity,it will be used as way to keep what I have and protect and feed my family.Like an insurance plan...Glad to have it,hope to never need it,grateful when I do.

HDR
09-07-2010, 09:32 PM
getting useful medical & weapons training,

Are there any schools for infantry training? Infantry training sounded a bit over the top; however after the shtf how to set up a defensive perimeter would be a good thing to know.

To be clear, I grew up with firearms and shooting. When I joined the Army I had already competed with pistol, rifle and trap. They didn't teach me to shoot, they did teach us how to fight. Everything from where you dug a hole to where weapons were placed to best defend your perimeter. Most of the schools I've seen on line teach shooting, how to clear your house etc; are there schools that teach infantry skills?

mrkalashnikov
09-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Are there any schools for infantry training? Infantry training sounded a bit over the top; however after the shtf how to set up a defensive perimeter would be a good thing to know.

To be clear, I grew up with firearms and shooting. When I joined the Army I had already competed with pistol, rifle and trap. They didn't teach me to shoot, they did teach us how to fight. Everything from where you dug a hole to where weapons were placed to best defend your perimeter. Most of the schools I've seen on line teach shooting, how to clear your house etc; are there schools that teach infantry skills?

I've seen ads for schools that supposedly teach military-type tactics and weapons traing. Don't know how effective any of them are in terms of real-world usefulness. If you grew up hunting & shooting, have good camping and woodsman skills, and were in the Army in Vietnam as an NCO you probably are already well ahead of the curve. ;)

I learned a lot of valuable skills in the BSA that have carried me through to this day. The one area I'm weak on is my first-aid training, something I've been putting off but should address. I'm thinking some kind of condensed EMT courses, if such an animal exists. Additional firearms training would not be a bad idea either. I think no matter an individuals's skill set in any particular area, there's always room for improvement.

O.S.O.K.
09-08-2010, 11:42 AM
BSA does indeed have a lot of practical instruction - my recent stint as a scoutmaster and the 8 years of working with the troop and my boys didn't hurt me any. :) And the added fringe benefit is that we now have a pretty good collection of camping and backpacking equipment - to go with the stuff my wife and I bought way back when we backpacked for our vactions - pre-kids.

mrkalashnikov
09-08-2010, 01:22 PM
BSA does indeed have a lot of practical instruction - my recent stint as a scoutmaster and the 8 years of working with the troop and my boys didn't hurt me any. :) And the added fringe benefit is that we now have a pretty good collection of camping and backpacking equipment - to go with the stuff my wife and I bought way back when we backpacked for our vactions - pre-kids.

My 3 yrs in scouts was time very well spent, looking back on it. I learned a lot of basic survival skills and woodsmanship during that period. First time I ever shot a gun was @ scout camp when I was 11. My dad was pretty active in our troop, being an old Eagle Scout himself among other things and helped me with extra skill sets that the BSA didn't cover.

HDR
09-09-2010, 05:49 PM
I've seen ads for schools that supposedly teach military-type tactics and weapons traing. Don't know how effective any of them are in terms of real-world usefulness.

Cool and they probably staff with ex-Inf or SpecOps retirees. Setting up a perimeter isn't something I'd want to pay for and use my vacation on.. lol It isn't fun, not at all.

If you grew up hunting & shooting, have good camping and woodsman skills, and were in the Army in Vietnam as an NCO you probably are already well ahead of the curve. ;)

The first thing an ex-NCO knows he needs is a well trained staff. ;)

I learned a lot of valuable skills in the BSA that have carried me through to this day. The one area I'm weak on is my first-aid training, something I've been putting off but should address. I'm thinking some kind of condensed EMT courses, if such an animal exists. Additional firearms training would not be a bad idea either. I think no matter an individuals's skill set in any particular area, there's always room for improvement.

Scouting teaches resourcefulness; for long term shtf that would mean knowing what you can and can't eat. IMO, I don't believe quite a few people will be short on the preparations; I do believe they will be short on Infantry skills. As you said "I learned a lot of valuable skills in the BSA that have carried me through to this day." There are other skills that in a shtf world will carry you through a fight. As the Scouts say "Be Prepared" and that applies to many things.

Once the antibiotics are gone infections take over the same as they did in the past. Before penicillin was invented people died from infections that today your doctor or dentist will hand you a prescription and say call me if it doesn't go away in a few days. As compared to back then when you died.