PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Won't Close After Shots

Tubby513
09-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Hi All,

OK, took the AK to the range (Hungarian AK pistol, see my other thread). Shot two 20 round magazines with no problems, was a ton of fun to shoot. Then, the problems started...simply put, after firing a shot, the bolt won't close. It stays "hung up" and I have to give it a push for it to chamber a round and close.

So, did some searching online. First things first, I completely understand and have gathered that it is normal during a slow cycling of the bolt for it to catch like this. It's a rugged rifle, and is meant for a strong pull back, and let go type of operation. Having said that, obviously mine is not performing correctly since the bolt will not close after a shot. So I took things apart that night and examined everything. I saw some videos of people polishing the friction points on rails, etc...but the bulk of the hangup occurs as the bolt/carrier slides over the hammer.

So, before I do anything much I wanted to field some opinions. I saw that some folks simply polish the hammer, lube it with grease, and say it will be good to go. Others even dremeled using an attachment that took off just a bit of metal on the hammer smoothing the slopes where the bolt slides, and not affecting where the hammer strikes. Definitely don't want to do that unless absolutely necessary, but this thing is very tight and hard to move over the hammer.

Thoughts?

O.S.O.K.
09-17-2012, 01:28 PM
I would suggest polishing the contact points - polish, don't remove any metal other than the very little required to smooth it up. Then test.

That should do the trick if everything else is in order.

Also, check your pins and make sure they are being held properly by the shepard's crook, or whatever you are using in place of that. Also check the hammer spring for correct install.

Tubby513
09-17-2012, 03:29 PM
I would suggest polishing the contact points - polish, don't remove any metal other than the very little required to smooth it up. Then test.

That should do the trick if everything else is in order.

Also, check your pins and make sure they are being held properly by the shepard's crook, or whatever you are using in place of that. Also check the hammer spring for correct install.

OK, I will work on doing the polishing all of the contact points. Should I apply some kind of oil or grease to those contact points, namely the bolt carrier and hammer where they make contact? Or will that negatively affect the hammer operation?

I'll check pins too, and shepard's crook, after I Google it. :)

Thanks for your advice.

Schuetzenman
09-17-2012, 06:35 PM
You don't happen to have put in a rubber buffer / bumper on the recoil spring did you? If so take that out and try it again first. Next, what brand of ammo are you using. If it's Wolf, find something else.

Tubby513
09-18-2012, 11:21 AM
You don't happen to have put in a rubber buffer / bumper on the recoil spring did you? If so take that out and try it again first. Next, what brand of ammo are you using. If it's Wolf, find something else.

Hmmm, I had to look up the spring buffer, didn't know about those. I will check when I get home, honestly don't know off hand since I wouldn't have noticed the thing. I was using TulAmmo, is that decent enough?

Boar
10-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Newb here but if you can make sure you don't have excess paint in your receiver section ( on the contact points ) I had paint on my hammer and rails..etc, cleared the paint, and polished with a dremel and 1000 grit auto sand paper, lubed with white silicon grease and have been good to go. As far as ammo Tulammo and Wolf are at about the same level ( I.M.H.O.) if you upgrade it will cost you some more $$$ but you get what you pay for.