PDA

View Full Version : What is the best Saiga AK-47 type gun that I can get for around $1,000 in 7.62×39mm?

megwillis
09-18-2012, 12:08 AM
What is the best Saiga AK-47 type gun that I can get for around $1,000 in 7.62×39mm?

I have decided on a Saiga is this one good?

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=SGL21-66&mfg=Arsenal+Inc&mdl=Saiga&cat=2&type=Rifle&cal=7.62X39&fin=&sit=&zipcode=

Thank You for reading.

-Meg

:ak::eyebrows:

Schuetzenman
09-18-2012, 06:29 AM
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=104&Itemid=762

Check here for more variety and price points. Frankly I'd go for a Zastava PAP, very rugged in construction having the RPK receiver type and Yugoslav pattern. Or I'd go for the .223 SAIGA converted rifle they have as every .223 AK I've ever shot would do groups about 1/3 the size of the typical 7.62x39 rifle. The ammo quality is that much better in .223 / 5.56 NATO chambering.

megwillis
09-18-2012, 11:47 AM
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=104&Itemid=762

Check here for more variety and price points. Frankly I'd go for a Zastava PAP, very rugged in construction having the RPK receiver type and Yugoslav pattern. Or I'd go for the .223 SAIGA converted rifle they have as every .223 AK I've ever shot would do groups about 1/3 the size of the typical 7.62x39 rifle. The ammo quality is that much better in .223 / 5.56 NATO chambering.

So you think either the Zastava PAP:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=1551&virtuemart_category_id=23&Itemid=762

or the Saiga in a .223

Thats funny Schuetzenman because I went to the gun show in Charleston, SC this month and almost bought a Saiga .223 AK type gun.
The vendor said he bought ten in .223 and ten in 7.62 and that the 7.62 calibers sell like hotcakes.
I was really liking the .223 Saiga but I wanted to research it more and it was already Sunday so I waited.
I would rather research and be happy with one purchase rather than get something and regret it and have to start saving up all over again.
It is something about the 7.62 round that I am drawn to...

Thank You for the response.

-Meg

Schuetzenman
09-19-2012, 06:32 AM
I've had and built many AK rifles in 7.62x39. Old timers of Gunsnet have seen photos of them. In 2007 I decided to liquidate them but didn't sell many until Obama got elected, then I sold them all in 2 days at Gun Shows for top dollar, same for the ammo and mags. I have one AK left it is a SAR-3 in .223 and the reason I still have it is that it works perfectly like most AK rifles do and shoots sub 2 " groups at 100 yards. It is every bit as accurate as any stock AR15 that isn't free floated and tricked out.

I too was attracted to the traditional round, but that started for me back in the early 1990's. Then you could get a case of ammo super cheap, primarliy it was all Chinese ammo. Then the Russian stuff came in and by the late 1990's it was the main source of ammo in 7.62x39. Once again the ammo remained cheap, less than 9 cents a round for new ammo that was noncorrosive. Today the stuff averages over 20 cents a round, the reason for liking the round, (cheap and fun to shoot) was cut in half, fun to shoot but not cheap in cost anymore. I once had 23 calibers in my collection, having had so many chamberings to shoot I came to a conclusion. I realized that many of the different chamberings were so close in performance there wasn't any reason to own them. So to get to the point I chose .223 as my intermediate range / power factor ammo. It is a staple of US ammo manufacturers, 7.62x39 not so much.

O.S.O.K.
09-19-2012, 11:05 AM
http://www.classicarms.us also retails a converted Saiga 7.62x39 just for another source. And I like Saigas a lot. The best? I don't know about that but they are very good.

You will also find VEPR's for sale there - which may interest you.

BTW, :welcome: to the board!!

megwillis
09-20-2012, 06:01 PM
:thud:

So what model Saiga should I get in 7.62x39? If I do get a Saiga...

I haven't heard anything bad about Arsenal...

I also found this model which is not a Saiga but looks pretty good though.

I actually have no idea what brand it is.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=SLR107-21&mfg=Arsenal+Inc&mdl=All&cat=2&type=Rifle&cal=7.62X39&fin=&sit=&zipcode=

Thank You to everyone for the replies.

-Meg

Schuetzenman
09-20-2012, 09:23 PM
The one you linked is Arsenal brand. They are very high quality and that one has the AK74 type side folding solid stock. You could do far worse ordering something else. You do understand that any AK in 7.62x39 chambering that shoots smaller than 4 inch groups at 100 yards is a very good shooting AK don't you? I've had 1 that would do better than 2" and several that averaged 2.5 to 3 inches. Like I said the only one I have left is a .223 that commonly turns in 1.5" groups. Getting the 7.62 type that shoot better than 3 inches is pure luck of the draw, there is no Magic Brand or model that will guarantee small group size in that chambering.

biglebeauski
09-28-2012, 12:26 PM
i dont know if you already purchased your weapon but just wanted to give you my input as far as the zastava paps from century arms go. im a dealer in RI i got two of them in and kept one for myself. they both misfed over and over and over. i tried everything from smoothing the feed ramp to modifying the mags and mag catch and it kept happening so i finally sent them back to century and apparently the double stack conversion went wrong on both of them....just something to think about.

Brandon402
09-29-2012, 03:56 PM
You could grab a sporter saiga and do the ak conversion yourself. Thats what I did.

stanger1944
09-29-2012, 08:29 PM
You could grab a sporter saiga and do the ak conversion yourself. Thats what I did.

I don't know how much it cost doing the conversion yourself, but I recieved my Saiga from classic firearms yesterday broke it down and oiled it up today. It was raining so I could not go and try it out but I like what I see so far. Only gripe is the butstock. It came with converted saiga 4 tapco mags glasses earplugs recoil buffer. scope mount and barska scope with a bulldog soft case for $669

Brandon402
09-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Looks like it was already converted. Dimpled receiver too, thats good stuff. Thats a damn good price for all that too. Nice find.

John Fritz
10-19-2012, 06:09 PM
I would seriously consider a SLR101-13 (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411552029/ARSENAL+SLR101-13+AK+7.62+x+39). I bought one a couple of months ago when they first appeared and so far so good. I haven't had a chance to shoot it a whole lot but it's been 100% reliable so far and the fit and finish is excellent.

A milled receiver was important to me simply because I like them and at the price these are going for you can't beat it. I paid the intro price of a little over a grand and I'm perfectly satisfied. You can get them now for around 950 to 980.

ceno
10-21-2012, 04:50 PM
My first saiga was a 7.62x39. It was fun to convert and fun to shoot. Great quality.