PDA

View Full Version : removing live primers

JTD
09-20-2012, 10:37 PM
hello to all

i have an abundance of 1971 yougo surplus corrosive ammo i had recently bought a kinetic bullet puller and pulled ma-by 50 rounds just for shits and giggles and was wondering if their would be any way to remove the live prime or am i going to have to lode them and shoot them.

pleas help because i may in time just pull all of it and do a mass reloading of all of it to save whats left of my Russian sks. \

thank you
Joshua

Durangokid
09-20-2012, 10:53 PM
Are these Boxer or Berdan primers? If these are boxer primed squirt some WD-40 in the case and do a normal deprime . If they are Berdan forget it too much of a problem. Why not just shoot the things and clean the rifle no big deal.

NAPOTS
09-20-2012, 11:33 PM
If the projectile and powder is removed from the case, toss em in your depriming die and pop that sucker out.

I have had to de-rime a few live primers that didn't go in right one way or another.

Schuetzenman
09-21-2012, 06:30 AM
If the projectile and powder is removed from the case, toss em in your depriming die and pop that sucker out.

I have had to de-rime a few live primers that didn't go in right one way or another.

Yeah but I bet your primers were not crimped into the pimer pocket! New or used brass that has been reloaded and does not have a crimed primer pocket holding the primer can safely be deprimed. Military ammw with crimped in primers, not so much. As Durango asked, are they Berdan or Boxer primed?

The only safe way to do a deprime, (assuming they are boxer primed cases) is to kill the primers with a fluid, like water or WD40 oil. Soak for a couple days then drain and deprime. If crimed in you may fold up a few decapping pins in your resizing die. For Berdan, you'd be better off just using the cases as loaded. Berdan noncorrosive primers are about 6 cents or more each, much more expensive. They also come in a much more varried size variety than Boxer primers. Boxers are small and large, pistol or rifle. Berdan primers come in mm sizes and you would need to know exactly what size to get and where to get them, (hard to find) or depriming the cases is merely an academic exercise.

NAPOTS
09-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Yeah but I bet your primers were not crimped into the pimer pocket! New or used brass that has been reloaded and does not have a crimed primer pocket holding the primer can safely be deprimed. Military ammw with crimped in primers, not so much. As Durango asked, are they Berdan or Boxer primed?

The only safe way to do a deprime, (assuming they are boxer primed cases) is to kill the primers with a fluid, like water or WD40 oil. Soak for a couple days then drain and deprime. If crimed in you may fold up a few decapping pins in your resizing die. For Berdan, you'd be better off just using the cases as loaded. Berdan noncorrosive primers are about 6 cents or more each, much more expensive. They also come in a much more varried size variety than Boxer primers. Boxers are small and large, pistol or rifle. Berdan primers come in mm sizes and you would need to know exactly what size to get and where to get them, (hard to find) or depriming the cases is merely an academic exercise.

you can always "dis arm" the primers by putting them in a rifle and pulling the trigger. That way you don't have to worry about contaminating the inside of the case.

Durangokid
09-21-2012, 08:31 AM
What ever you decide on please wear safety glasses while decapping these cases.

JTD
09-21-2012, 11:04 PM
they are all berban primed! but i can shoot it its just the gun i have to shoot it out of has really bad pitting in a few spots of the gas piston and on the ejector from the ammo. also the guy who sold it to me said it was Russian noncorrosive and good ammo but i turn out to be false but it was an impulse buy so no research was done.

old Grump
09-22-2012, 02:15 AM
Why deprime? I made a lot of hunting ammo for my M1 Garand by pulling the hardball bullets, dumping the powder and putting in my own powder and hunting bullet. They shot just fine. I can't see pulling the primers if there isn't anything wrong with them. Of course I could be wrong and I often am but I would just use them while you got them.

Helen Keller
09-22-2012, 05:51 AM
Why deprime? I made a lot of hunting ammo for my M1 Garand by pulling the hardball bullets, dumping the powder and putting in my own powder and hunting bullet. They shot just fine. I can't see pulling the primers if there isn't anything wrong with them. Of course I could be wrong and I often am but I would just use them while you got them.

that's what Norma did in the 50/60's with alot of Mil surplus ammo.

I bought a truck load of berdan primed , cordite loaded .303 brit loaded with soft points .