PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing to keep your human weapon in good working order?

AK-J
08-30-2010, 06:28 PM
What are you doing to keep in shape/get in shape?

I'm up to running about 3 miles 3 times a week, riding my bicycle 16 to 20 miles another 3 times a week (alternate days between running and biking), and doing some upper body stuff (regularly doing 55 push-ups). I've kind of hit a plateau and I'm thinking about trying out that P90X stuff.

ubersoldate
08-30-2010, 06:36 PM
p90x.

Running three days a week.

Hiking once a week.

I screwed up something fierce when my wife was pregnant with my second son.
I got up to 240 lb.:wondering:

Got my shit together.
Stopped eating anything that is processed.
Started working out.
6 mos later, Im at 185.

It took me looking in the mirror.
Spoke to my father who gave me some serious shtf advice.
Sat down with my friend who is a gun instructor now at gunsite, and former combat vet, and he gave me some amazing ideas about exercise that he uses in some of his classes.

If your serious about the p90x and really stick with it, every night, it will change your life man.
I know that sounds like a commercial, but it does. I love it.
I did the power 90 first, and loved it so much I just kept doing it every day for four and a half months!

El Jefe
08-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Well, with my back being what it is I have to be somewhat careful with things. But I do walk a bunch and do the exercises prescribed by my surgeon. I'm not doing too bad really, last time I was at the Doc my weight was at 196 and my blood pressure is low, so I'm okay.

AKTexas
08-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Cut out sweets,sodas,sugars of all kinds.No fried food,no eating out,eat lean meats no dairy products eats fruits and veggies and cut portion sizes.

I park in the farthest parking lot and walk to my classes.I take stairs instead of elevators.I ride my bike 10 miles once a day and use the work out machine daily.

I hike the deer lease once a month,plenty of hills and trails to hike.

Zoff12
08-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Cut out high sugar content items, no fast foods, hike as much as possible, cardio/weight training 2-3 days a week, Shorin-Ryu 3-4 times a week, and shoot alot.

Dan Morris
08-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Never did use much sugar, sodas....told wife that I would never come home with chaser on my breath. Walk, hike and simply eat rite....also, a lot of shooting!
Dan

ltorlo64
08-30-2010, 07:43 PM
Run 30 minutes (about 3.25-3.5 miles) twice a week, 30 minutes on the elepticle once a week, 200 situps once a week, 200 pushups once a week, pretend to lift weights once a week, do another 80 situps and 70 pushups (one after the other) on Fridays. In between I go up and down about 30 flights of stairs a day. Oh the joys of living on an aircraft carrier!

As for food, don't pay much attention. I eat a lot of vegetables and a little meat. I cut out potato chips and soda years ago. The only real sweets I eat are chocolate chip or oatmeal cookies. But I make them from scratch, so I figure the combining of the ingredients burns off all the calories from the cookies.

abpt1
08-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Ok 10 years ago I crashed my CBR got messed up bad broke ankle 2 screws , wrist 3 screws and a pin,three ribs, dislocated shoulder, knee and compressed my lungs and kidnes so bad I was coughing and pissin blood for days i could not breath right for a while only very shallowly compressed my neck so bad I had to sleep upright for a month any way.... Since I gained 100lbs but i slipped a disc three weeks ago and started physical therpy So doing the PT I started feeling better so I stopped eating junk and just eating regular portions..and tring to stay active... So far I have lost 25 lbs one day at a time just like tequila lol :thumbspbig:

deth502
08-30-2010, 07:57 PM
my plan is to rest as much as often, ensuring i dont strain any mucles i may need at a later time prematurely, and consuming as much high fat content food as possible in order to build a layer of protective padding around my body.

skorpion
08-30-2010, 08:02 PM
Sounds like you all have pretty solid routines! Keep it up!

Hiking, trail biking, and kayaking happen to be some of my hobbies that double as exercise and keep me in good shape. However, I also knock out some push-ups every night before bed and I jog/run once in a blue moon. A couple of years ago when I got out of the Corps, I was going on 6-10 mile runs all the time. Now-a-days, when I do get around to running, it's about three miles or less. I have good knees and I'd like to keep them that way!

Lysander
08-30-2010, 08:21 PM
I'm in exactly the same position Uber was, and man does it suck.

Here's what I've been using to keep myself in check.

1) MyPlate (http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/) from LiveStrong.com. I cannot praise this tool enough. Seriously guys, if there is anything you use to keep in shape, this should be it. It allows you to calculate the calories you need per day, the calories you burn, and provides you with an accurate tool for creating a useful work out schedule.

For me, because I cook, I'm able to calculate the calories per plate of every meal, and adjust accordingly.

2) The body weight workout for busy men (http://artofmanliness.com/2009/06/26/a-bodyweight-workout-for-busy-men/). I do this on days I can't make it to the gym.

3) My morning warm routine (http://artofmanliness.com/2008/01/08/every-man-every-day-should-do-these-exercises/)

Each morning I walk the dog with the baby 3 miles, at 11 minutes each mile. During the evenings, regardless of the weather, we do a 4.5 mile walk in an hour. This takes a bit more time because we're crossing major streets twice, so we lose time waiting for lights.

One day a week I do at least an 8 mile hike. Next week, I'm replacing my morning walk with a 1.6 mile run, and then a 1.6 mile walk.

I also lift weights 3-5 times a week, work and travel depending.

Broondog
08-30-2010, 10:51 PM
well, for starters i quit smoking just last week. that was the first step in attempting to make a new me. i'm far from a perfect specimen but i've seen worse. i'm 43, 5'8" and just 200lbs. my BP is near perfect and heart rate is good. i'm in a sort of "farm" shape. strong but not defined, a bit of extra weight in the middle but not a fat slob.

my eating habits still suck, like eating dinner at 2:30am right before bed but i'm consciously shifting my snacks over to fruits and veggies from donuts and ho-ho's. plus i'm eating more for something to do as a result of the lack of smokes. gotta stop that shit too.

so now i'm working in the actual exercise thing. i'm moving in kinda slow right now getting some of those lesser used muscles to wake up. hell i just really started this cardio routine this week. right now it's general calisthenics and an ab scissor machine to lose about 15lbs. then it will still be the "hay bale workout" for strength training and heavier calisthenic workouts for weight control.

i'm not looking to be some big musclebound guy, just to be in better shape.

HDR
09-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Congratulations on all the work Broondog.

matshock
09-03-2010, 12:22 AM
Just finished another 5 mile tonight- going to bed below 230 for the first time in months.

If I weighed 200 right now I wouldn't have an ounce of fat on me so I'm shooting for 205.

Did 2 hours of distance shooting yesterday and an hour of hostage relief drills at 10 and 15 yards.

First time out to the range in almost 3 moths though...

O.S.O.K.
09-03-2010, 01:49 PM
I gave up soda and sugar drinks a long time ago - they are the pits! I walk the dog every evening that I'm home. On the road, I mostly swim in the pool - usually about 25 laps - While I'm not gaining weight, I'm not losing it either. I really need to drp the intake (I eat pretty healthy, just too much) and step up the exersize.

I have a bag and boxing workout stuff too - that's what I really need to do again - along with some weights on the bench.

HDR
09-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Just finished another 5 mile tonight- going to bed below 230 for the first time in months.

If I weighed 200 right now I wouldn't have an ounce of fat on me so I'm shooting for 205.

Did 2 hours of distance shooting yesterday and an hour of hostage relief drills at 10 and 15 yards.

First time out to the range in almost 3 moths though...

Staying in shape is important. So are the shooting skills which for many are harder to maintain than physical fitness.

O.S.O.K.
09-04-2010, 06:02 PM
I've personally found that participating in an "action shooting" competition to be the most practical and enjoyable way of polishing shooting skills. Even something like cowboy action will hone your point shooting skills and comit the shooting to muscle memory. Of course, you'll need to use a single action revolver and a levergun to get the most benefit from that ;)

Most people's total shooting experience is standing and shooting at targets at a range, or sitting at a bench shooting their rifles from a rest.

hawk1911
09-05-2010, 10:17 PM
I've personally found that participating in an "action shooting" competition to be the most practical and enjoyable way of polishing shooting skills. Even something like cowboy action will hone your point shooting skills and comit the shooting to muscle memory. Of course, you'll need to use a single action revolver and a levergun to get the most benefit from that ;)

Most people's total shooting experience is standing and shooting at targets at a range, or sitting at a bench shooting their rifles from a rest.
I have been looking for a range and group of folks to shoot more than just the stand stills that I have been shooting, between the cost of ammo, and the boredome of doing the same shooting I havent been in a good while now.

As far as my human weapon I have very recently ditched most of the snacking through out the day, and to try to eat more fruits and vegtables instead of junk. If you just dont buy it, then you wont have to feel bad when you are getting it out of the pantry.

Excercise is something that I need to pick up, especially my cardio. I feel strong enough I just wish I could run farther, faster. When I do get out for a jog I remember being fast then I am now.

Im 31 yrs old 6ft and 205lbs, not really interested in "loosing weight" per say. Im interesed in loosing the little bit of pudge in the middle. If I happen to loose weight while losing the belly and increasing endurance then so be it.

Broondog
09-06-2010, 12:33 AM
Congratulations on all the work Broondog.

thanks man. i'm practically a "tea totaler" now. i don't smoke, drink or do drugs (anymore). i have maybe one soda-pop every other month if i happen to be out and want to eat. water, like 1.5G+ a day and some milk is all i drink anymore...any day. and no coffee either...ever.

how many of y'all live on soda? or coffee? or energy drinks? could you do without 'em?

i preach water to folks who only drink caffinated beverages and constantly feel like shit. there's a reason we need it, and not just a little either. we are bags of mostly water (wanna see who catches this).

and did you know that if you drink a big glass of water before bed if you are drunk/been drinking, and take a glass with you to nurse thru the nite, that you won't have much of a hangover (if any) in the morning? try it. it worked for me for 20+ years.

Zoff12
09-06-2010, 08:31 AM
we are bags of mostly water (wanna see who catches this).
Ugly... bag... of... mostly... water... (OK - I'm a geek and got that one)

I'd have to agree with you about the water. That should be the predominant drink of the day. I, however, do drink 1 - 2 cups of coffee a day. If I am not drinking water, I am drinking unsweetened ice tea. There is no sugar in my drinks no matter what it is.

HDR
09-07-2010, 09:45 PM
thanks man. i'm practically a "tea totaler" now. i don't smoke, drink or do drugs (anymore). i have maybe one soda-pop every other month if i happen to be out and want to eat. water, like 1.5G+ a day and some milk is all i drink anymore...any day. and no coffee either...ever.

I enjoy my coffee too much..

how many of y'all live on soda? or coffee? or energy drinks? could you do without 'em?

The Army made me and others do without good coffee and look we did to others.. lol

and did you know that if you drink a big glass of water before bed if you are drunk/been drinking, and take a glass with you to nurse thru the nite, that you won't have much of a hangover (if any) in the morning? try it. it worked for me for 20+ years.

It is easier to avoid excesses. ;)

Another item to watch is salt.

ubersoldate
09-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Yea black coffee for breakfast.
Water the rest of the day. No soda.
And I drink ALOT OF WATER. But I work outside everyday, so fill a 3 gallon cooler up with ice and water every morning.
Sometimes I do splurge though, and put some lime/lemon sliced in it!

I gave up all alcohol last year, not going back. Dont miss it a bit.

Bick_Sastard
09-07-2010, 11:44 PM
One of the most important threads on the survival forum of this site and an often overlooked topic.

I am walking and I mean walking my ass off with 10 pounds on the ankles and about to start with 10 on each ankle.

My diet sucks, but I really can not get past it, I was raised with it and I am likely the most picky eater you shall ever cross. We just had it different than other folks, beef cost 0 and while a garden beyond most folks dreams was my grandmas hobby, I eat only three veggies, corn, green beans, and potatoes, the end. I do enjoy fried chicken, it was a treat, baked chicken was good too especially bbq'ed, white rice was a fine side dish and folks for almost 30 years that is the end of the list if you add bacon, sausage and eggs.

This is the one thing I find tougher than exercise, I like to walk and run, but getting used to new foods when most of them actually make you gag and sometimes puke is not an easy task. I have found the meat category the easiest and while most fish is not on my list, I can at least get it down. its the veggies, fruits and nuts that screw me up. I like oranges now (Orange juice always was ok) and have tangerines in the ewww but ok category. Grapes totally work cause I can swallow them whole and raisins ain't that bad, again you can just swallow.

So needless to say, I am a fan of vitamins which likely give me what my diet lacks and I am working on that for the human factor and once I am 100% convinced I can carry 60lbs at a constant slow walking pace for three days in a row and cover 100 miles in that three days level smooth terrain, I will switch to a maintenance program on the walking fitness.

For those who say WTF, I am talking 24 hour days with 6 hours sleep minimum per day and figure 4 hours woth of stop and eat breaks, otherwise maintaining a 2mph speed.

Sounds easy, drive your car 30 miles from home on a road you can walk safely on on a Friday night and figure out what time your wife needs to come looking for you as you hoof it home no pack and then start talking about the weight of your bugout bag and your water needs.

My own personal next step after the 20lb dailiy hikes is the bugout bag worn for no less than 5 per day with a very real 30 mile hike with it once a month. Not high intensity running, jogging or even marching, but wtf, I do need to be able to walk it at a slow pace without falling over out of air and energy.

I know a lot of survival issues talk about hand to hand, fuck it, I will shoot em before it comes to that or they wil have shot me, I am way way too old to hand to hand fight. I will if it gets to that level rely almost soley on the wisdom of age and punt them in the balls, bite their nose off their face or whatever other part I can get a hold of, but I have no intentions what so ever in boxing matches with young men, Mike Tyson might have bit Holyfields ear, I would have been on my knees begging and if it did not seem to work he might be one nut short! I am just too damn old to be a badass.

Crash
09-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Got busted up a while back and had back surgery. I've never been the same since and have slowly gone up in weight. I'm back to eating a better diet but I need to do more exercise. I do walk/hike but I have to do more. I bought the P90X series but with my back screwed I'm leary of doing the routines as shown at that degree. Getting old sucks...