PDA

View Full Version : Question for Members from Virginia

ltorlo64
09-28-2012, 09:46 PM
In a few months I will be transferred to DC, and I plan to live in Virginia. I have looked at the Virginia State Patrol website and it talks alot about concealed carry, but not about rules of ownership. Does anyone know if there are magazine capacity limits or certain firearms that they will not allow unless modified (ie, California requires AR type rifles to be modified so that it is harder to remove the magazine). Any information would be great.

alismith
09-28-2012, 10:45 PM
Not sure if this helps any, but in the VA gun stores I've visited, they sell any kind of magazine you want. AFAIK, there are no limits on mag capacitites at all. If I need a mag with a capacity larger than 20 (MD's limit), I just go over to VA and get the larger one.

nfa1934
09-29-2012, 02:29 AM
No magazine restrictions. No limits on types of firearms. Only odd thing is machineguns have to be registered with the state police in addition to the Federal registration (no additional checks or anything, you just submit a form). Got rid of the silly "one handgun a month" law earlier this year.

Devil U Know
09-29-2012, 06:19 AM
Hell no, this is the south. I did have to show a birth certificate when I bought my AK though. I thought that was wierd.

ltorlo64
09-29-2012, 06:24 AM
Thanks all. That confirms what I had found. The information about Maryland was good as well. Don't plan on living there, but it is good to know I can if necessary.

jet3534
09-29-2012, 02:28 PM
I am only aware of one possible legal issue. When I used to live in VA I was told that full auto weapons could only be fired indoors, i.e., at indoor ranges. Not sure if that is true or not.

nfa1934
09-29-2012, 03:29 PM
I am only aware of one possible legal issue. When I used to live in VA I was told that full auto weapons could only be fired indoors, i.e., at indoor ranges. Not sure if that is true or not.

That comes from all the confusion regarding the Uniform Machinegun Act that Virginia and several other states adopted in the '20s as an unsuccessful effort to head off any Federal meddling in the ownership of machineguns. Lots of confusing language in that law, especially regarding prohibition of machinegun possession for an "aggressive purpose." The definition of "aggressive purpose" only adds to the confusion, since VA law obviously has a provision for possession of machineguns but this definition seems to rule out almost anything you would actually do with one. There have been several AG opinions over the meaning of all these provisions; in current practice you can use your machinegun pretty much however you want as long as you don't attack someone with it. I shoot mine regularly at a local indoor range, and I have fired it at an outdoor range on a couple of occasions without any issues.

The person who told you they could only be fired at indoor ranges was probably under the impression that firing one outdoors could draw the attention of someone who thought firing it at all could be construed as an "aggressive purpose" (don't laugh, a previous AG actually held this opinion). Subsequent AGs have thrown that ridiculous notion out the window. You can imagine the opinions and incorrect information you will hear from gun-shop-experts and Elmer Fudds over a law that is actually confusing (they can't even get 922R right).

http://bighammer.net/mg.html