PDA

View Full Version : Need help guys...my brother and I have decided to get into reloading

Partisan1983
10-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Any help is greatly appreciated.

We know nobody who reloads, so we are feeling like we are jumping head first into the abyss.

The press we want is a Dillion 550B.

Do we have to buy it directly from Dillon?

What are some good first calibers to learn on?

...we are interested in reloading
.380ACP
9mm
.40S&W
.45ACP
.357SIG
10mm
7.62x51
7.5x55 swiss

Durangokid
10-07-2012, 08:32 AM
If you have never reloaded you should not start with a progressive press. You need to start with a more basic reloader "C" type single stage press.. There are many things you need to understand before going to a progressive reloader.

L1A1Rocker
10-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Like "the Kid" said. You need to crawl before you run. There are just too many safety issues and habits that need to be learned before jumping into a progressive. I understand the need for a progressive and use them for most loading (yep, it's a 550) myself. Start off with a cheep single stage that uses standard dies - that way you can use the Dillon "dynamic dies" and not loose any money in the deal.

Dillon's prices remain pretty consistent no matter where you buy them - they're lifetime warrenty makes them hold there value that well.

Gunreference1
10-07-2012, 09:05 AM
If you have never reloaded you should not start with a progressive press. You need to start with a more basic reloader "C" type single stage press.. There are many things you need to understand before going to a progressive reloader.

I completely agree! I also strongly suggest investing in a couple of books.

These should give you a good idea of what is needed to get started reloading your own ammunition. Hope this helps!

Steve

Partisan1983
10-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Thanks guys.

What's a good single stage press you guys recommend?

Gunreference1
10-07-2012, 10:32 AM
I've always had good luck with RCBS presses. They offer kits (https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainServlet?storeId=webconnect&catalogId=webconnect&langId=en_US&screenlabel=index&action=CategoryDisplay&categoryId=C04J148&route=C04) that include a press, scale, manual, etc. to get you started. I would recommend either the Reloader Special or Rock chucker press for a long term investment. Hope this helps!

Steve

NAPOTS
10-07-2012, 11:01 AM
I like the Hornady press mostly because of the lock and load quick change dies. Once you get a set of dies setup you don't need to dick around with them unless you are changing bullets/seating depth. This makes loading in batches a lot easier. The press and the rest of the equipment seems to be of good quality too.

Partisan1983
10-07-2012, 03:20 PM
I have to ask......

Why should we not start out with a progressive press?

(if you guys think I am insulted, don't worry I am not)

I am just curious. Reloading (I am assuming) is not quantume physics. :coffee:

NAPOTS
10-07-2012, 03:58 PM
I have to ask......

Why should we not start out with a progressive press?

(if you guys think I am insulted, don't worry I am not)

I am just curious. Reloading (I am assuming) is not quantume physics. :coffee:

I only have my single stage but I don't think i'd switch for rifle rounds.

I like to measure and trim my brass as required after sizing and depriming and I also like to clean the primer pocket. This would be a big interruption on a progressive wihthout expensive add ons. I am also measuring each charge for those rounds because I think there is too much scatter in the charge weight in my powder dispense. I am also loading towards the hotter end of the recipe. This again would kinda defeat the purose of using a progressive loader. I am only loading rifle rounds for accuracy so it is worth it to me to take the time to measure and check everything. I don't have a lot of motivation for loading blaster .223 ammo because the american eagle shoots ok for that purpose and is relatively cheap.

.38 spcl, and .45 acp I am just loading plinking ammo so I am loading in the middle of the pressure range and I can throw bullseye within +/- .1 gr. I would benefit from a progressive for these callibers but it's not worth the money to me. I just load them in batches. Size and deprime 100 cases, flair 100, prime 100, charge 100, seat 100, and crimp 100. Then start over again with the next batch of 100. Its a little less monotonous to me at least doing that instead of doing 1000 all at once.

Durangokid
10-08-2012, 11:39 AM
The modern progressive reloaders can provide very accurate ammo. These machines are for reloaders who have a strong back ground in every aspect of reloading quality ammo. There is no contridiction between quality and volume for seasoned reloaders.

Partisan1983
10-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Gotcha.

Thank you again guys.

deth502
10-08-2012, 03:57 PM
if you want to start out "easy" try doing the straight walled pistol cartriges and get carbide dies.

Partisan1983
10-11-2012, 04:08 PM
if you want to start out "easy" try doing the straight walled pistol cartriges and get carbide dies.

That's what we were thinking.

Our first die set will probably be 9mm.

Gunreference1
10-11-2012, 06:39 PM
I would completely agree with carbide dies. Take a look Lee die set 90963 (http://leeprecision.com/4-die-set-9mm-luger-carb.html). You should be able to find this set selling online for something under $50. Hope this helps!

Steve

deth502
10-13-2012, 08:04 PM
That's what we were thinking.

Our first die set will probably be 9mm.

there is an extra step in doing pistol dies, that being the sizing and expanding for the bullet are done in 2 separate steps, where a bottleneck cart will have them both done in one step. but with carbide dies, theres no need to worry about case lube at all, including things like issues of tearing off a rim and getting a case stuck if you fail to get enough lube on one. and the force required to actually resize them is significantly less.