PDA

View Full Version : Vice recommendations?

NewbieAKguy
10-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Well it's been awhile since I've posted so I guess an update is in order.

My baby girl (our first child) is 5 months old now and makes me laugh everyday. We bought a new house couple months ago, with a full basement with a workshop room already set up, and I'm slowly but surely getting the bench that's in the workshop beefed up and ready to go for reloading and other easy gunsmithing/building that I feel comfortable doing on my own.

So with that, do you guys have any recommendations on a vise? Hopefully before the year is over (maybe I'll ask for them for X-mas) I plan to get a lower and upper receiver AR block to learn to build and eventually make up my own uppers and lowers.....and maybe for some side cash once I get good enough. My local sources are the usual Menard's, Lowe's, Home Depot and Ace Hardware, but I also have Farm and Fleets in my area. Perhaps place on line that sells quality, but inexpensive, brands of vises?

Thanks for the help.

Should this have been put in the gunsmithing section? If so, feel free to move this thread Mr. Moderator. :)

NAPOTS
10-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Some people drink, some gamble, others do drugs, or have sex with prostitutes.

I prefer nothing stronger than a few beers and the occasional cigar.

NewbieAKguy
10-15-2012, 12:07 AM
I knew that was coming, lol. Where's that rimshot emoticon....................

Schuetzenman
10-15-2012, 06:42 AM
A bench vice I'm assuming you're asking about. My advise is avoid anything that says Made In China. Bigger = better IMO. Weight is uaually an indicator of quality as well. As far as brands, couldn't say. I'm still using a vice that predates WWII that was my Dad's before me. It will outlive me as well.

deth502
10-15-2012, 03:50 PM
be wary of the putting together of ar's from parts for others. you know how the irs feel about tax evaders. and thats not even getting into the atf......

Helen Keller
10-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Shop around and be ready to SPEND.

My $80 6" multi position I got at lowes 2 years ago has held up to some unbelievable abuse. BUT it has some drawbacks.
Doesnt come close to the vises for my mill .

I'd check out tractor supply. IF you're not going to be beating the shit out of things held in it I'd even venture to harbor freight but price-wise you don't really save $$ anymore and these things keep climbing higher and higher.

I wouldnt put anything but Uppers together for $$$ without a license.

NewbieAKguy
10-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Really think the feds would take offense? I'm not talking about making hundreds of dollars a month, just putting stuff together for buds and maybe buds of buds who supply All the parts and I just put them together because I have the necessary tools. Maybe they reimburse me for the part here and there I order for them per their request, and maybe thank me for my time. Not trying to make it an extra income stream to live off of. Jeez, what a pain, but I shall be wary. Thanks for the advice deth502.

There is also a tractor supply and big r store within decent driving distance too I'll have to keep in mind. Thanks for tip Keller.

El Laton Caliente
10-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Wilson makes the best USA vises but they start at over $300... I bought a 6" Larson (China)... If I found a Wilson at an estate or garage sale it would replace the Chinese one.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/70/70b2900e-76e8-4414-a96f-6d460041e4d0_300.jpg

I like the Rotating vises like the one above. It makes it easy to preposition work items and has a pipe vise on the opposing side. The one pictured is a 5" Irwin, a good middle of the road vise at under $100...

Diesel
10-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Really think the feds would take offense? I'm not talking about making hundreds of dollars a month, just putting stuff together for buds and maybe buds of buds who supply All the parts and I just put them together because I have the necessary tools. Maybe they reimburse me for the part here and there I order for them per their request, and maybe thank me for my time. Not trying to make it an extra income stream to live off of. Jeez, what a pain, but I shall be wary. Thanks for the advice deth502.

There is also a tractor supply and big r store within decent driving distance too I'll have to keep in mind. Thanks for tip Keller.

Pay attention here, you only need one jealous friend who need a little cash to put you in an FDC awaiting trial for manufacturing weapons that could be turned into machine guns, etc. It is as bad as having a bottle of iodine and a bottle of ammonia in the same house and being accused of having components for manufacturing explosives.

A US CI (confidential informant, aka rat) can milk the government for $50k for starters...and potentially much more...all on your back...so..........someone wants to do something instead of doing it for them become their mentor and teach them how to do it themselves with your tools, shop, etc. They drill that extra hole make sure you didn't see it and had warned them not to.

I know what I'm talking about...and frankly don't give a fart in a windstorm about what you do...just understand that your friends can and sometimes will do you in for some damn poor reasons.

Diesel 88888888

:coffee:

Diesel
10-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Oops!

deth502
10-16-2012, 03:13 PM

like i said, im not even getting into the "manufacturing" aspect of it with the atf, but you do realize, that on every firearm sold there is an 11% tax on it paid to the govt. putting a firearm together from a kit does not require you to pay a tax. manufacturing them and not paying the govt their 11% will make them really testy. same as making moonshine. alchol is not illegal, making it is not illegal, drinking it is not illegal, but when you start selling moonshine, the govt is not getting their share in tax money, and that why ppl end up in prison.

NewbieAKguy
10-17-2012, 08:20 PM
I'm liking the looks of that Irwin vice ELC. I'll def. have to check 'em out.

So, then is this a game of "what the definition of 'is' is?" So what's the legal definition of manufacturing? Not like I'm forging the serialized lowers myself; I'd just be putting supplied parts into a supplied lower from the friends, friend of friend, etc. Guess I'll be looking more into it to CMA to say the least, or like mentioned above stick to building uppers for people only. What a load of crap.

deth502
10-18-2012, 03:46 AM
depends on how the atf feels today. last memo that was released went on to include things like mounting a scope on a rifle as "manufacturing". but eiter way, turning an untaxed parts kit into a complete, functional rifle will fall into that category every time.

NewbieAKguy
10-18-2012, 04:14 AM
I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Thanks again for the heads up.

El Laton Caliente
10-18-2012, 10:15 AM
I'm liking the looks of that Irwin vice ELC. I'll def. have to check 'em out.

Home Depot carries Irwin. I think Tractor Supply carries Larson. I bought the same configuration Larson in a 6" for a little more than the 5" Irwin.

That isn't going to stop me from replacing it with a Wilson if I find a deal on one...

What I need now is a fab table to mount it to...