PDA

View Full Version : Who to go to for 1911 refinishing/coating?

NewbieAKguy
09-01-2010, 03:00 AM
I'm wanting to get my taurus 1911 refinished in one of the newer coatings available today, i.e. Robar's NP3 (or one of their other finishes), gunkote, or other durable finishes. My 1911 is just the regular blued model and I want to "rust proof" it.

Suggestions on which coating and who to send it to are much appreciated. Heck, even some color schemes suggestions are welcome. Right now I like the idea of an olive or foliage green frame and black slide, or maybe something with flat dark earth. :think:

Maybe something like this: http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=8

Schuetzenman
09-01-2010, 06:17 AM
Shame I'm not in business anymore, I could do it. Bobby a.k.a. Salbo could of done it but he passed away. Don't know who to tell you. Try the Google thing for firearm refinishing.

NewbieAKguy
09-01-2010, 06:47 AM
Yup, Googled it right after I posted. Thought some input from the fellas would help cut through all the hits. Right now Rocky Mountain Arms and their Bearcoat are in the top spot followed by Robar's NP3. Still taking any and all suggestions.

jojo
09-01-2010, 10:26 AM
If you have access to a sandblaster I would recommend just doing it yourself with some Molyresin. It is very easy to apply, inexpensive, very forgiving when it comes to mistakes and is very durable. Google John Norrell or Molyresin.

Crash
09-01-2010, 10:41 AM
I use moly resin myself, it's tough and easy to work with. Basically you apply it with an airbrush and then cure it in an oven. Like most finishes the prep work is critical, take your time. Some people used to argue over the blacks being to grey but that was never an issue with me.

Schuetzenman
09-01-2010, 09:25 PM
My suggestion for the DIY thing is KG Industries Gun Kote. K-Phos base coat as a primer to help bond it to the metal all the better then followed with the color of choice. It is very tough, IMO the best. I've used Norell's product and it is not even close to as good as Gun Kote.

NewbieAKguy
09-02-2010, 12:15 AM
If you have access to a sandblaster I would recommend just doing it yourself with some Molyresin. It is very easy to apply, inexpensive, very forgiving when it comes to mistakes and is very durable. Google John Norrell or Molyresin.

No access at all. I have no prior experience with doing anything close to this so I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it myself. Maybe once down the road with more room and more spare time maybe, but now I'd stick with someone who knows what they're doing.

Gunkote is another possibility. Trouble is just finding someone reasonably close to me to take it to.

Crash
09-02-2010, 01:30 AM
I'd go with Schuetzenman's suggestion with the K-phos to prep it for the finish. I looked up the Gun Kote finishes and I think I'll try it myself; you can buy it in a spray can from Brownells in any color you mentioned. I think that is the easiest finish for you without having to worry about any additional tools other than an oven. You'd be surprised at how easy it is to do.

NewbieAKguy
09-02-2010, 05:01 AM
Cool. Thanks for the tips about the DIY. I'll start looking into it.