PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a mak90!

GG5789
10-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Finally got my first ak-47 :) It is a milled 386 mak 90 and it is friggin amazing! ...except the thumbhole stock. Bleh. I need help getting a good proper stock set on it.

1) I would like to get a nice wood stock, but I know the milled ones require different ones than the stamped. Which kind is needed and which would is the closest to the original? What kind of modifications (if any) need to be done?

2) I would also like to get a good underfolder for it, but I don't have any kind of smithing experience. Ideas? If I absolutely cannot get an underfolder for it then I will venture into buying a new another variant. Currently there is a vector underfolder for sale in my area for $525. Whatcha think??

Here are some picks. Thanks in advance!

GG5789
10-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Sorry the computer at work is giving me problems uploading pictures. Will add more when able. Thanks.

imanaknut
10-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Sorry to tell you that right now the only company that makes a standard stock set for the milled MAK-90 is Ironwood Designs. The good thing though is that they are a first class company, and their stuff is top notch.

It was unfortunate that the rifle that started life as the Poly Tech Legend had their receivers modified to make it difficult to install a standard AK type butt-stock. In fact the shape or the rear of the receiver more closely resembles the Legend underfolder, except that it doesn't have a closed end, and the folder holes are obviously not drilled.

You can convert it to underfolder but you would need the template for the folder hole location, and the proper tools to drill and size it for the folder mechanism including the locking tabs. You would also need to weld a plate on the end of the stock to cover the hole. Properly it would fit into the hole, be welded in place, and then the rear filed or ground down and refinished to give the flat appearance of an original folder.

I have been playing with firearms for a long time and would not try to turn a fixed stock milled receiver into a folder.

Vector made and still makes some great rifles, and $525 for one of theirs is a pretty good deal these days. I like the Vectors so much I bought one just because it was a Vector that they said they were no longer going to make. Good quality rifles.

My suggestion to you, get at least an Ironwood butt-stock, finish it similar to the Chinese wood, and add a Chinese or Ironwood pistol grip for your MAK-90. I would then buy the folder as your second AK in your growing collection! :D

GG5789
10-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks I really appreciate it!