PDA

View Full Version : shooting .38's ....

printerman
10-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Shooting last night and someone who was pasting called out some keyholes ! I'm reloading , what's wrong ? To little Bullseye (propellant)

Gunreference1
10-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Printerman, it might help to know the firearm you're using and the distance of the target. But in general you would want to check the following.

1. Rate of twist.
2. Barrel bore dia.
3. Bullet dia is wrong.
4. And muzzle crown damaged or wrong type

Hope this helps!

Steve

printerman
10-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Printerman, it might help to know the firearm you're using and the distance of the target. But in general you would want to check the following.

1. Rate of twist.
2. Barrel bore dia.
3. Bullet dia is wrong.
4. And muzzle crown damaged or wrong type

Hope this helps!

Steve

Shooting a GP100 in .357 magnum , but shooting .38 specials (125 gr. plated) in a 4" barrel at about only 10 yards ....My powder load is light (maybe minimum) Couldn't properly determine powder load for Bullseye and plated projectile ! Sources indicate to treat like cast bullet !

raxar
10-19-2012, 07:34 PM
you probably don't have enough plastic crap bolted onto it.

Schuetzenman
10-19-2012, 10:47 PM
you probably don't have enough plastic crap bolted onto it.

:lol2:

However on a serious note, you have not said WHAT the load is. I've used up to 4.5 grs. with cast bullets and had no leading problems. The lowest charge I know of is 3.1 gr.s for hollow based wad cutters. Copper plated or not, if it isn't hollow based, jack up the load to 3.5 to 4 grs.

Bluntforce
10-20-2012, 02:52 AM
More cowbell should fix it.

noylj
12-29-2012, 12:46 AM
Picture of target.
Most shooters have heard of "keyholing" but have no idea what it is.
If your target is hung up, like at an indoor range, without any weight on the bottom, than the paper can move as the bullet hits it and you get oblong bullet holes.
This is NOT keyholing. This is lack of target support.
Keyholing in when you see a hole that matches the bullet going through the paper side ways (so you can simply lay a bullet next to hole and the two match).
So, did you have keyholing or simply poor target support?