PDA

View Full Version : .22 Conversion Kits

RCS
07-15-2010, 03:53 PM
I've been checking this out to use on the wifey's AR (and also because the local range only allows .22 LR rifles), and I have a few questions:

Will I need a .22 upper to go along with it?

How reliable are they?

Is this just a dumbass idea?

I was thinking of the CMMG kit, I've heard good things:

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cat=81

justinsaneok
07-15-2010, 04:31 PM
I want to know about a kit for a G22 glock

shadow65
07-15-2010, 05:40 PM
I am currently running a Stainless CMMG conversion kit. It has been all but flawless.
A conversion can be dropped in any .223/5.56 upper.
The faster the twist rate of the barrel, the less accurate generally.
I run a bore snake down the barrel and shoot 5 rounds of 5.56 after a .22 session. Cleans the gas tube out.

I have tried 2 Spikes dedicated .22 uppers and even got the conversion from Spikes. Pain in my ass. None ever ran right. Always FTE's in the charging handle. I did every mod, tweak, replaced every part in the units. Still no go. Some have had luck with them. Not for me.

CMMG conversion is the most fun I've had with the .22 AR platform. Accuracy from a typical 1/9 barrel is about 2" at 50 yards.
You need to run copper washed ammo. Doesn't leave as much lead.

Target Master makes another one that a friend of mine is testing.He seems to like it. But it is a Parked version. Stainless is easier to clean and requires no break in.

CMMG is coming out with the Evolution. It will have up grades not available any where else such as true bolt hold open, forward assist, and a locking device to lock the adapter/unit to the chamber.
CMMG has also come out with real uppers for $350. No plastic crap.
Dave

ready
07-15-2010, 08:55 PM
I have both a CMMG and a dedicated spike's upper. The CMMG had some reliability issues when I first bought it but it seemed to break in after a few hundred rounds. My spike's kit has run reliably from day 1. I would like to see a BHO, though. Not sure the forward assist is very practical.

shadow65
07-15-2010, 09:09 PM
I think the idea of the forward assist is when the conversion gets to it's "dirty" stage, rounds have a harder time chambering. I just pull the conversion, clean it off, and continue shooting.
CMMG will also have live round extraction, cotter pin holding the firing pin. Lots of improvements. But they are not out yet.
Dave

RCS
07-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks, guys. I guess I should pick one up.

TEN-32
07-16-2010, 09:43 PM
CDNN has it on sale.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ar22stcokitn.html

NewbieAKguy
07-16-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm loving my S&W M&P-22. No probs with it yet.

Maser**
07-17-2010, 03:01 AM
A .22 air rifle would be much cheaper to shoot.

TEN-32
07-17-2010, 05:43 AM

Well...yeah.

shadow65
07-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Darts would be cheaper than that

Schuetzenman
07-17-2010, 11:18 PM
These drop in conversions bolt systems are all essentially Atchison conversions. The twist and bore dimensions of a 5.56 / .223 barrel are a tad fast and large. They work but accuracy will be lacking. A dedicated upper gives much better results. Considering it's only two push pins to drop one on it really comes down to the price of the upper in .22 LR. Spikes does make a great unit from all reports. I am shooting a .22 LR barrel I got from them and it does quite well for what it is. I'm getting about 1 inch grouping off hand at 25 yards.

shadow65
07-18-2010, 02:15 PM
Sure the Spikes is great if it runs. If it doesn't it's a giant PITA.

RCS
07-18-2010, 08:10 PM

I'm getting it because the local range will only do 22LR in rifles and my wife needs to run some drills. And I don't want to drop a load of cash everytime I want to go out shooting.

shadow65
07-21-2010, 08:09 AM
Looks like I may get the chance to do some testing on CMMG's new .22 uppers. I'll post a report if I do.
Dave

Mark Ducati
07-21-2010, 02:18 PM
I've got a dedicated .22LR upper that uses a modified Ciener kit... runs great in SA, but in FA it does get some jams if I don't keep it clean and VERY well lubed... and by VERY, I mean dripping wet... but that's the way the FA's seem to like to run.

deth502
07-21-2010, 05:11 PM
CDNN has it on sale.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ar22stcokitn.html

so if im even remotely thinking about this, and i know where i can get a new one on sale for $160 with 3 mags, should i jump on it?

Mark Ducati
07-22-2010, 05:28 PM
so if im even remotely thinking about this, and i know where i can get a new one on sale for $160 with 3 mags, should i jump on it?

That's a pretty good price for it with 3 mags... if they're Black Dog mags, you'd be a fool not to.

shadow65
07-23-2010, 12:28 PM
The conversions pay for themselves in the first 1000 rounds fired. I usually use mine on a rifle I'm sighting in before I run 5.56 through it. Cheaper.

Crash
08-02-2010, 12:45 PM
I use a Ciener Atchisson conversion that runs good.
I hated to deal with Ciener and the mag prices were through the roof but with Blackdog and others making mags for the .22 conversion kits it's now more affordable.

TEN-32
08-03-2010, 06:39 AM
If you haven't already bought one, i doubt you'll find a better deal than this:
http://www.botachtactical.com/cmar22lrcoki.html

Crash
08-03-2010, 09:13 AM
+1
Thats the cheapest I've seen one and I've also ordered through Botachtical with no issues.

hawk1911
08-03-2010, 08:26 PM
This is one of the next things I plan on buying. I plan to get the non dedicated conversion, for me it gives me the flexability to use it in any of my ARs from 20 inch to pistol. (dont have the pistol yet but will still be there when I do)

ronjon
08-27-2010, 03:52 PM
.22 LR Colt M4 Ops Carbine!

http://webpages.charter.net/ronjon/Colt%20M4%20Ops%20Carbine%20SN%20Out.jpg

And, after some fluff & buffing, she shoots real sweet! :eyebrows:

Ron

Citizen Pain
08-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Go with a CMMG, If you ever have a problem with anything just send it to them and they'll replace/repair it.

O.S.O.K.
09-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Here's a vid that I did a while back after I got my cmmg kit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-y3kiIPez4

saleen
11-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Sure the Spikes is great if it runs. If it doesn't it's a giant PITA.

How many rounds have you run through your Spikes upper?

An instructor at a school I attended in 2008 was singing the praises of a Spikes Tactical dedicated upper. I balked at the price initially, but bit the bullet and picked one up. I opted for a straight M4 with a regular Green Mountain barrel, standard front sight, etc.

The gun absolutely wouldn't run initially, and I ultimately pulled the barrel and polished the chamber a bit. Once it was reliable, I started trying to figure out what ammo it liked. I put a 4x scope on it, and ran everything I could find at a decent price only to find that it just didn't shoot well at all. It was fun and it was cheap. It ran well and looked cool as hell, but that was about it so I pretty much lost intrest.

Not my daughter.

Alysa took an instant shine to that little rifle, and I was all too jazzed that my 9 year old was into ARs, so I happily provided box after box of ammo for her. Then, with a little more than 1000 rounds down the tube (estimated), the barrel just started really shooting well. I noticed her groups shrinking up, and so I gave the rifle a try and confirmed that it wasn't just her getting better, it was the rifle.

I have since added an Airsoft TA31F ACOG clone, CMMG dedicated .22 charging handle, Badger Tac Latch, and a new CMMG BHO kit with their new magazines. The BHO kit / mags had teething issues too, but I got them worked out and they're working great. Using a hold over with the FACOG reticle, I can hold 2" groups at 75 yards using Winchester bulk "555" ammo from the prone using only an elbow rest. I'll take that any day of the week.

I don't get to shoot it as much anymore unless my daughter isn't around, so I'm thinking about building a second one for me. I have considered doing the CMMG one, but I've been so happy with the Spikes that I just don't know if I want to chance it on another one. Time will tell...

I'm not at all a fan of the conversion kits. Lead mist gets everywhere including the gast tube, and I don't believe that a few rounds of 5.56mm will "clean" it out. For me, taking the possibility of loading up the gas tube is enough for me to steer clear of these kits.

Saleen

saleen
11-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Forgot to add that I also installed a RRA NM trigger and a Magpul CTR stock. I guess I really need to take a picture when I get back in town.

Saleen

shadow65
11-09-2010, 11:11 AM
I would imagine, those are older kit's. Nothing wrong with them, but I don't think they come with the new up grades. Just so you know.