PDA

View Full Version : some more rqts for my first AK

dogsoldier
10-23-2012, 01:31 AM
OK... so I'm still a novice. But in the last couple days I've decided I want traditional wood furnature. I know in my first thread I want to keep the cost down, but a milled receiver sure would be nice. Not that this has anything to do with the receiver being milled or stamped, but I've heard the Saiga's are better than the Wasr 10s. Is this true? If so, why? I've recently come into a bunch of Wolf ammo, and I'd sure like something to shoot it out of. I've got ads in a couple places stating I have a Para 1911 Super Hawg long slide for trade. Its a .45ACP and in mint condition. It comes with two factory mags and one aftermarket 12 round mag, a blackhawk holster and the box. I'm figuring this is all worth approx $850. I also have 760 rounds of various types of ammo that can be added to the deal (or not). What AK can I get for this trade, especially hoping that if I include the ammo, I can get a couple hundred back?

Woogiebear
10-23-2012, 05:22 AM
From the people I have talked to and on this site, a Saiga is the closest thing you can get to an actual honest to God AK. I have only handled a couple, but they feel real nice. Wasr 10s, like I said before, are bottom barrel. They still work, but it's pretty hit and miss as far as quality.

PS, nothing wrong with a stamped receiver. I have one on my underfolder and it shoots fine.

smittylite
10-23-2012, 10:23 AM
get a Yugo Zastava PAP M70. They are made in Serbia and imported by Century. They are built like a freight train, very solid.

El Laton Caliente
10-23-2012, 11:23 AM
The VEPRs are another option that IMHO are a better buy right now.

Yugo PAP are a third...

I personally would go VEPR, I think they have the edge over Sagia in quality.

imanaknut
10-23-2012, 11:43 AM
While the VEPR is a great rifle, closer to an RPK than an AK, if you want to convert it to look like an AK you are out of luck as so far VEPRs come with an angle cut on the rear of the receiver, so standard AK butt stocks do not work without adaptation. The Saiga has a standard receiver type so an AK wood stock will fit easily. Both are fine rifles, and great shooters in the AK tradition, but go about it differently.

For a nice selection of AK variants at reasonable prices, check Atlantic Firearms. They have several really nice variants including one with Russian style wood.

If you can find an older, no longer imported SAR-1 ( they didn't meet the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment) you will have the only true military issue AKM ever imported into the land of shall not be infringed. While their finish was the source of major complaints, that is because the Romanians used them for training recruits. The only modification done for US import was to cut the ears off the bayo lug and Century replaced the trigger group, gas piston, and pistol grip as required to meet the 922(r) part of the sporting purpose.

MAK-90s are still available, but prices are going up thanks again to a federal government infringing on our rights by banning them from being imported. Prices are around $600 now, but if they have the original fire control group, the Chinese triggers were arguably the best of any commercial AK imported.

El Laton Caliente
10-23-2012, 01:28 PM
More good choices. I have an MAK90 that was my first AK... I have both a SAR1 and SAR3 that are great rifles.

IIRC, there is an adapter for the VEPR that allows use of the Ace folder and I believe Ironwood Designs is supposed to start to building stock sets...

Bonsteel has:

http://bonesteelarms.com/images/AK_Tubular_Sidefolder4.jpg

http://bonesteelarms.com/Vepr-rifle-Galil-style-stock-VPRFSGL.htm

dogsoldier
10-23-2012, 03:14 PM
Wow! Great info and fast coming. Thanks, guys. I have a guy interested in my 1911 in trade for a never fired zastava m70 with extra mags and some ammo. I'm assuming this is a good deal for me. Anyway, it's starting to look like the AK thing might be as fun as ARs.

El Laton Caliente
10-23-2012, 03:21 PM
If it is a ban / pre-ban import and not a Century rebuild it would be a great deal. If it is a Century Arms International (CAI) rifle, I might want a few bucks. (check gun broker for going rates) There are also numbers of home build Yugo M70s that range from good as factory to somebody else's problem.

The Yugo bolt hold open mags are about $25 each. Ammo, check current pricing...

dogsoldier
10-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Maybe I should start a new thread with this, but I put the question to my potential trading pard as to whether or not it is a ban/pre-ban import or CAI rebuild. I also have an offer for a Romanian Wasr 10. Assuming the zastava is a CAI rifle, which is better; it or the Romanian Wasr?

El Laton Caliente
10-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Personal opinion... I'd go Yugo over almost any Romanian... except a SAR1, SAR2, SAR3 over a CAI rifle...

This is really had to judge without a much better description and / or pictures. Precise make and model, condition and accessories...

John Fritz
10-23-2012, 08:29 PM
... I've got ads in a couple places stating I have a Para 1911 Super Hawg long slide for trade. ...

That's a nice gun but it has a limited audience. I'm a big Para fan myself and have bought and sold a few of them over the last couple of years. You don't say but I'd suggest also putting a price in there and trying to sell it outright.

If you can swing it you might want to consider an Arsenal SLR101-13 (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411552029/ARSENAL+SLR101-13+AK+7.62+x+39). Affordable and milled. Nice fit and finish. If you need to back off a few bucks then get its brother the SGL21 (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411545001/IZHMASH+SAIGA+SGL2171+AK-47+7.62X39+5RD+BLK).

Getting back to that Para, that is a sweet shooter and honestly if I could swing it I'd be sending you an email right now with an offer. I have a PXT1445S GR and a PCX745 S in the safe, they could use a new big brother. :smile:

dogsoldier
10-24-2012, 10:16 AM
My ads state I'm looking to sell or trade. I put the value on the Para at $1,100 cause it comes with extras and a lot of ammo. So far, nobody had bitten on the selling option. Maybe I'm not giving myself enough with the trade offer and that's why I'm getting so many.

John Fritz
10-24-2012, 08:14 PM
... Maybe I'm not giving myself enough with the trade offer and that's why I'm getting so many.
Do you mean that you're getting offers to trade? Are you getting a lot of them? Any possibility you can share particulars? I'm curious what folks are throwing out there.

I know what your gun's worth. Don't give it away. Not that I think you will, just sayin'.

whitelightning777
12-23-2012, 02:25 AM
I own an arsenal AK, the SA-93. It's a solid performer. There are many AK stocks and accessories out there. Get the best quality for the best price. With AKs, you always change things up sooner or later.