PDA

View Full Version : side rail scope mount?

buxman66
10-24-2012, 10:28 AM
So how difficult/possible is it to mount on a mak90?
Easier to do on a milled vs a stamped receiver? Looking a possibly doing this to 1 of my mak's instead of the ultimak gas tube route. Thanks for any and all input.

stinker
10-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Possible...Yes

Difficult...You need to know what you're doing to attempt it or you will screw it up and probably irreversibly damage the receiver.

Save yourself the headache and the possibility of a botched mounting.

Texas weapon systems (http://www.texasweaponsystems.com/id1.html)

It's every bit as good as a side mounted rail and holds it's zero when you open it.

Added bonus is this is not permanent if you change your mind and requires no modifications to the rifle.

buxman66
10-25-2012, 02:40 AM
I have replaced the rear site w/ a mojo site and am trying to
Keep it. The Texas dog leg would definitely be the way to go if I hadn't already bought the mojo. After looking at a friends arsenal, I realize that the side rail is riveted to the receiver. I was thinking that it just a matter of replacing a couple cross pins to secure the side mount.

stinker
10-25-2012, 02:20 PM
After looking at a friends arsenal, I realize that the side rail is riveted to the receiver. I was thinking that it just a matter of replacing a couple cross pins to secure the side mount.

Yup. Gotta precision drill the side of the receiver to mount it. Best done at the factory imo.

My Norinco was like that when i bought it years ago and i had nothing but trouble with it due to it being mounted crooked.
Whoever did it screwed it up bad. I had the holes welded up and put the TWS rail on it instead. Works like a charm now.

buxman66
10-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Yeah,I had done a search on the subject here and read about your experience. I'm shit canning this idea! Wish there was more reviews on the ultimak rail and the possibility of frying red dots electronics using the gas tube rail. Lot of heresay is all I've found.

stinker
10-25-2012, 07:36 PM
There's videos on youtube about it. People test firing and taking temp readings.

I use a Midwest rail on mine.
Have'nt had it heat up bad yet but have'nt done any real barrel smoking firing either.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=277

buxman66
10-27-2012, 05:45 AM
Looked on youtube for several hours,there's a dozen vid's on how to mount but none I seen had any experience on temp.of the gas tube being high enough to fry electronics.it was mentioned, but that was it. No actual gas tube temp readings.