PDA

View Full Version : Clayco value (price) help requested.

imanaknut
10-28-2012, 12:16 AM
Someone asked me to help figure out what a Clayco is worth. Here are the details as I know them.

Rifle itself is in very good condition, fired but not much. It comes with no accessories, and is also missing the pistol grip, which is impossible to find so that hurts.

Also missing the cleaning rod and slant brake. I haven't seen it, but was also told to me that something was done to the trigger group, but I guess it still is original. (don't know why someone would mess with a Chinese fire control group as they were among the best made)

At least it has the correctly marked receiver cover, proper handguards and stock.

Usually I am pretty good at coming up with value of the hard to find Chinese AK variants, but for some reason I am at a loss on this one. Part of me says it is still a rare piece and should have pretty good value based on prices these days, but the other part of me says that with all there is, it might just be worth it as a nice shooter (stick any pistol grip on it, add a brake and enjoy), but still, what value???

HELP!!! Thanks friends!

insider
10-28-2012, 06:38 AM
Wow, Nut, usually your the guy giving advice, not asking for it, if the price is right...go for it! Since its not totally original, I would only offer 800-1000, depending on condition, and point out that its not all original. Parts do show up, but you might have to piece it together one at a time. Good luck!

El Laton Caliente
10-28-2012, 07:39 AM
It's a really nice shooter at this point, agreed, a grand on the high end... after repairs...

If you stumbled on a donor kit / rifle and restored the original parts then maybe more.

imanaknut
10-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Not a rifle I am looking at, just one that a friend asked me to try to value, but with prices these days, I just wanted other opinions to help him either feel better about how much he paid, or feel like an person who should have asked around first. Also, I have no idea how much he paid, he seems too embarrassed to tell me. :D

El Laton Caliente
10-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Ouch!