PDA

View Full Version : Question about magazines for 84S

SouthernPatriotGL
10-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Hi everyone,

New to the forum, first post. Last week I purchased a MAK90 in fair condition from a local pawn for $350. After I came home, I posted some pictures to an AK facebook forum I have been frequenting, and they told me quickly that I have an 84S, and after I inspected it, it is marked as an 84S beside the serial number. Front Sight post and gas block are straight. Finally fired it yesterday, and got a pretty decent zero. It came with a metal chinese 30 round magazine. The cheapest I've found the chinese mags online were about 100 bucks. One of the guys in the facebook forum told me he had heard that you could modify some other magazines to work properly in the 84S. Was wondering if anyone else had heard that, or done it? Would like to know which magazines that are modified to fit. Thanks a bunch!

silentkilla
10-28-2012, 09:39 AM
you might need to check with our mentor imanaknut, not for sure but i think you have a rare a.k varient. its either the 84 or the type 81, he will know though. and if you got it for 350. you kinda raped the dude, lol.

El Laton Caliente
10-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Shop around, you can do better than $100...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Rifle-Magazines-Rifle-Clips/BI.aspx?Keywords=84s

IIRC, the Bulgarian .223 have been the most successful replacement. The 7.62x39 mags are completely interchangeable between all makes, the .223 are not. There was never a standard for them.

And if the rifle is in reasonable shape, you stole it...

SouthernPatriotGL
10-28-2012, 09:53 AM
silentkilla, I've been told that what I have is rare. I don't think the pawn broker knew anything about AK's. I bought this rifle, and he had a WASR 10 right beside it for the same price. The rifle I bought is definitely in decent shape. There is some surface rusting, and on the side of the front sight post, there's a spot about the size of a nickle where the bluing is completely gone. The butt stock isn't original, but I'm in the process of getting an original for it. I'm thinking I'll take the rifle to a local respected smith and have it re-blued. the number "1981" is stamped on the reciever and bolt, and Century Arms Internationals importer stamp is on the barrel. I'll post a picture. Is it normal for MAK90 and 84S to be stamped on the same reciever?

El Laton, Thanks for the information, and the link. I'll watch a few of those to see where they end up when the bidding is done. I wonder if you've got to file on the bulgarian mags to make them seat and feed correctly?

Thanks a bunch, guys.

silentkilla
10-28-2012, 09:53 AM
el laton, its the type 81 thats rare is'nt it? not the 84s

silentkilla
10-28-2012, 09:55 AM
tell you what will help till you can get it reblued, i little cold blue goes along way to prevent any further rust

silentkilla
10-28-2012, 09:59 AM
mak 90 sporter is stamped on mine and a bunch of guys never heard of that so i don't know??? i'm pretty sure that its common but alot of people has never seen it just like mine

SouthernPatriotGL
10-28-2012, 10:07 AM
http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1917&d=13514368171917

SouthernPatriotGL
10-28-2012, 10:08 AM

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1918&d=1351436879

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1919&d=1351436911

You'll notice on one side it's stamped 84S, and on the other, MAK90

SouthernPatriotGL
10-28-2012, 10:09 AM
I thought about picking up some cold blue the other day. Think I'll pick some up tomorrow. Thanks bud.

Read that AK-74 magazines will run and feed in AK-47s chambered for 5.56. The AK-74 mags are for 5.45, correct? The .223 and 5.56 rounds will fit?

silentkilla
10-28-2012, 10:19 AM
now i hate you! lol just kidding nice a.k., want you money back??? i ran across a chiak the other day with two mags and a drum for 300. and i thought these guys where going to come through my p.c. and kill me,lol :evil-bbq:

silentkilla
10-28-2012, 10:22 AM
brother thats a preban norinco, it still has the bayo lug on it ?

silentkilla
10-28-2012, 10:24 AM
I thought about picking up some cold blue the other day. Think I'll pick some up tomorrow. Thanks bud.

Read that AK-74 magazines will run and feed in AK-47s chambered for 5.56. The AK-74 mags are for 5.45, correct? The .223 and 5.56 rounds will fit?

correct they will

El Laton Caliente
10-28-2012, 11:01 AM
The 84S isn't all that common... There were 4 primary variants IIRC; straight wood stock, under-folder, Galil style side folder, Red Phenolic side folder.

When G.H.W. Bush banned the import of Chinese AKs (the Klinton made it permanent), they added the thumb-hole stock to make it a "sporting rifle". Most of the 84S rifle were then sold as BWK92. However it isn't unheard of to have any chi-com variant labled as a MAK90. I have an MDN91 labeled MAK90.

imanaknut
10-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Added your photos and have to first say Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Followed by a well intentioned I HATE YOU!!!!!!

Before I saw the photos I wondered why Century would have been involved in a Norinco import, but after seeing the pictures I understand. The rifle is the Canadian version with a 19 inch barrel to meet their minimum barrel length requirements. It was later imported into the US from Canada by Century. To say it is rare is an understatement as I have only seen a handful of those in this country.

I am guessing Century stamped the "MAK-90" on the rifle to get ATF approval to import the "evil looking" rifle. I am going to have to pull mine out of the safe if I can find them to see if mine are double stamped like that.

As for mags, you should be able to find 84S mags for under $50, which is still a lot but they are rarer than the standard AK mag. I have heard people using AK-74 mags but have never tried. Century did modify some for use with the .223/5.56x45 but I have never tried them in my 84S. Might have to do that in the near future. Century modified the AK-74 mags and shipped them with their SAR-3 much to the anger of anyone who tried them, because the feed angle of the 5.45x39 is different than the .223 and you couldn't fully load the mag and expect it to function in the SAR-3. Again, don't know about the 84S but will try eventually.

Congrat on a fantastic purchase. That rifle even with a rust spot and thin blue is easily worth three times what you paid!

Oh, try cold blue on the thin spots. I have had Chinese rifles that responded nicely to cold bluing, but I have also had Chinese rifles that using cold blue was like rubbing water on the metal, no effect. Consistency of metal properties didn't seem to be the norm in the the otherwise very nice rifles from China.

imanaknut
10-28-2012, 11:10 AM
The 84S isn't all that common... There were 4 primary variants IIRC; straight wood stock, under-folder, Galil style side folder, Red Phenolic side folder.

When G.H.W. Bush banned the import of Chinese AKs (the Klinton made it permanent), they added the thumb-hole stock to make it a "sporting rifle". Most of the 84S rifle were then sold as BWK92. However it isn't unheard of to have any chi-com variant labled as a MAK90. I have an MDN91 labeled MAK90.

Just to straighten you out my good friend, the 84S was imported as the 84S fixed wood, 84S-1 underfolder, 84S-3A fixed plastic stock, and 84S-5A black sidefolder. While they were available with orange/red plastic in the sidefolder, very few if any were imported.

The Galil side folder is only on the Poly Tech AKS-762, the red sidefolder in both Poly Tech AKS-762 and Norinco 56S-2 which also was imported with wood handguards and pistol grip.

Chinese variants can drive you crazy trying to keep up with them. The 84S alone could have been ordered with three barrel lengths, and wood, red/orange or black furniture in two lengths of fixed stock, and underfolder and sidefolder.

silentkilla
10-28-2012, 11:20 AM
i knew imanak would help you out, he is the:the-man:

El Laton Caliente
10-28-2012, 11:22 AM
I bow to the God of Chinese AKs... lol. (I got distracted and had not seen the pics when I was typing...)

That is a rare one. Nice find!

Looks like someone cut down the thumb-hole stock and added 56S pistol grip and fore.

silentkilla
10-28-2012, 11:24 AM
and sorry for the rudness:welcome: to the group southernpatriot

SouthernPatriotGL
10-28-2012, 11:43 AM
brother thats a preban norinco, it still has the bayo lug on it ?

I became very familiar with an AR type firing system in the military, but I'm a complete newjack here in the AK world. I don't believe mine has the bayo lug. Attached is a picture of the barrel.

SouthernPatriotGL
10-28-2012, 11:43 AM

Thanks! And thanks a bunch for sharing some knowledge. I'm also from Alabama, by the way. Anniston/Oxford area.

SouthernPatriotGL
10-28-2012, 11:46 AM
I bow to the God of Chinese AKs... lol. (I got distracted and had not seen the pics when I was typing...)

That is a rare one. Nice find!

Looks like someone cut down the thumb-hole stock and added 56S pistol grip and fore.

Thanks El Laton! Im going to replace the butt stock, thing is hideous! But I don't think I'll go with anything with a thumb hole. Probably just a standard AK stock. Later on, I'm going to change over to an adjustable butt stock, and something with rails for the front end. AK's look great with dark earch colored furniture!

SouthernPatriotGL
10-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Added your photos and have to first say Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Followed by a well intentioned I HATE YOU!!!!!!

Before I saw the photos I wondered why Century would have been involved in a Norinco import, but after seeing the pictures I understand. The rifle is the Canadian version with a 19 inch barrel to meet their minimum barrel length requirements. It was later imported into the US from Canada by Century. To say it is rare is an understatement as I have only seen a handful of those in this country.

I am guessing Century stamped the "MAK-90" on the rifle to get ATF approval to import the "evil looking" rifle. I am going to have to pull mine out of the safe if I can find them to see if mine are double stamped like that.

As for mags, you should be able to find 84S mags for under $50, which is still a lot but they are rarer than the standard AK mag. I have heard people using AK-74 mags but have never tried. Century did modify some for use with the .223/5.56x45 but I have never tried them in my 84S. Might have to do that in the near future. Century modified the AK-74 mags and shipped them with their SAR-3 much to the anger of anyone who tried them, because the feed angle of the 5.45x39 is different than the .223 and you couldn't fully load the mag and expect it to function in the SAR-3. Again, don't know about the 84S but will try eventually.

Congrat on a fantastic purchase. That rifle even with a rust spot and thin blue is easily worth three times what you paid!

Oh, try cold blue on the thin spots. I have had Chinese rifles that responded nicely to cold bluing, but I have also had Chinese rifles that using cold blue was like rubbing water on the metal, no effect. Consistency of metal properties didn't seem to be the norm in the the otherwise very nice rifles from China.

Thanks for the welcome, imanaknut! And thank you for all this information. On another forum some guys informed me that I have an 84S, and that they've never seen one in person, and that I got a steal on it. But I had no idea how exactly it got to the states, or why Century had it. That's really interesting, and I'm glad you knew!

I'm really not finding these mags for that cheap! hah. On Gunbroker, there are a few auctions with no reserve that are low right now, but it seems that they finish around the $100 mark everytime. And the "buy it now" prices I've seen are around $120-ish.

I've already had offers of $650, and a guy even offered me a decked out Stag Arms AR-15 for it. I know a great gunsmith, and I think once I fix up the furniture issue, I'll have him refinish the metal, and have a look around the internals. And, if another ban gets passed, I may have a rifle worth a couple grand! Thanks again!

SouthernPatriotGL
10-28-2012, 11:53 AM

Haha, no biggie! Thanks man!

SouthernPatriotGL
10-28-2012, 11:58 AM
By the way, I took this girl and shot her yesterday. I only fired 50 rounds, because after buying it for 350, I had 30 bucks alotted the spend on the rifle, so I bought 50 rounds of ammo. I did a super quick zero, and defintiely didn't get a perfect zero, but this thing is a tack driver. I would be willing to say that once I've completely battle zeroed this rifle, it will be just as accurate as the M4 I carried in the Army. Atleast out to about 200.

How's the accuracy you guys get from your AKs? Comparable to your AR system, if you have one? My mother has about 20 acres, and I thought I might hunt them this winter with my AK.

silentkilla
10-28-2012, 11:58 AM
i'm from the decatur area, i've worked at the solutia plant in anniston quiet a few times and am very familiar with that area.

silentkilla
10-28-2012, 12:01 PM
i said the same about my a.r and my ak at 100 yards i was getting 1 to 2 inch groups just about the same as the eotec only with iron sites

SouthernPatriotGL
10-28-2012, 12:07 PM
i'm from the decatur area, i've worked at the solutia plant in anniston quiet a few times and am very familiar with that area.

I grew up 2 miles from the solutia plant. Good ole PCB's! Yum! Well, next time you are up this way, shoot me a message. Maybe we can shoot a little!

El Laton Caliente
10-28-2012, 12:08 PM
The 84S is one of the most accurate of the AK/AKM rifles. Galils, Valmet and Yugos are a few others...

silentkilla
10-28-2012, 12:12 PM
I grew up 2 miles from the solutia plant. Good ole PCB's! Yum! Well, next time you are up this way, shoot me a message. Maybe we can shoot a little!

i sure will think we have a outage there in feb. :fighter2:

El Laton Caliente
10-28-2012, 12:24 PM
I've worked at the old BP Chemical Plant and Daikin America plant...

silentkilla
10-28-2012, 12:29 PM
my company has the maintanace contract at diakin, and i work at b.p all the time, were are you from el lanton?

silentkilla
10-28-2012, 12:33 PM
i'm a forman/ pipe welder for a company named contractor service and fab, better known as chicken seed and feed

El Laton Caliente
10-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Corpus Christi, TX originally. I now live in East Texas on Lake Sam Rayburn, 20 miles or so from Louisiana. I've worked in 19 states now...

silentkilla
10-28-2012, 12:46 PM
i've worked in louisiana a few times, in bossnier at the chevron plant, and a couple time in houston

imanaknut
10-28-2012, 02:03 PM
The photo of the barrel explains the reason MAK-90 is stamped on it, the bayo lug ears appear to be ground off. They should be under the gas block.

That would make it one of the more interesting variants I have seen, being marked both 84S and MAK-90 but now know why. Funny that ATF didn't make Century remove the 84S markings as per George Bush the First, the name of the firearm along with other "evil features" will turn honest people into criminals. Unfortunately Bush1 was the criminal who violated our second amendment rights by forcing ATF to enforce the Lyndon Johnson infringement of 1968 and the "sporting purpose" clause. I get sick every time I think about it.

One of my favorite AK shooters is an 84S-1 (underfolder) and it is my most accurate AK variant. I have been known to shoot shotgun hulls at 50 yards off hand using the standard sights. Had one guy watch me do it, couldn't believe I was hitting the hulls until I let him shoot it. Yes it is a tack driver!

silentkilla
10-28-2012, 02:08 PM
just how many a.k's do you have imanak??? are you going to save any for the rest of us??lmao:eyebrows:

imanaknut
10-28-2012, 02:12 PM
There is only one living person other than myself that has seen my collection. And there is no doubt in my mind that she won't talk.

There was a time I tried to buy up every AK variant ever made, but with ATF banning my second amendment right, I am no longer able to do that.

They don't call me AK-nut for nothing! :smiley31:

silentkilla
10-28-2012, 02:23 PM
lol, maybe one day you can break a few of those babies out and we can shoot the world up at the range:thguns:

Dan44
10-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Be patient , and keep an eye out. It took me a few years but I’m up to 18 mags. I find them online and shows. Also I have good results with the Polish Beryl mags.

SouthernPatriotGL
10-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Be patient , and keep an eye out. It took me a few years but I’m up to 18 mags. I find them online and shows. Also I have good results with the Polish Beryl mags.

Do you have an 84S? Just making sure before I ask; Do you have to modify the polish mags to work? Can you load them to full capacity? Thanks Dan.

Dan44
10-31-2012, 01:25 AM
Yes I do, and the Polish mags fit and function well. But just as hard to find and as expensive.

SouthernPatriotGL
10-31-2012, 03:32 AM
I've seen them surplus for about 25 bucks. That's a ton cheaper than the made in china mags. I'll be picking a few up next week.