PDA

View Full Version : Any Honda Rancher people help a brother out?

Altarboy
11-03-2012, 02:11 PM
My 350 does not want to run well. It will idle, and will rev with the choke on, but it won't go anywhere. I stopped by the Honda place and he sold me a 10 dollar bottle of stuff and said to put it in the tank, shake it, remove the bowl screw so that gasoline runs out, and replace it and start. But when I open the screw nothing came out. The carberator looks pretty simple, but I have been stumped by carbs before. When I try to rev it it tries to shut off but idles ok and will rev with the choke on.

alismith
11-03-2012, 02:36 PM
It's been a long while since I've messed with those engines, but it sounds like the choke is stuck. I could be way off here....

Also, you might want to check and see if the air filters are clean. A clogged filter will cause the engine to do the same thing.

charger0122
11-03-2012, 02:37 PM
did you let it sit long with this crappy ethonol/gas in the tank? if so time to rebuild the carb. id buy some sea foam and drain all the gas put some in the tank and turn it over so it fills the carb up so it can soak in it a while.then drain it and try again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIKvIXQO5-0

El Jefe
11-03-2012, 03:01 PM
did you let it sit long with this crappy ethonol/gas in the tank? if so time to rebuild the carb. id buy some sea foam and drain all the gas put some in the tank and turn it over so it fills the carb up so it can soak in it a while.then drain it and try again.

Yep.

Or, buy a Kawasaki. ;)

Altarboy
11-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Hmm, well it's getting better. Still not like it used to be. At least the carb bowl will drain now.

Sherman
11-03-2012, 08:52 PM
High speed jets are plugged. Take the Carb off. Take it apart and spray every little hole with Carb cleaner. Reassemble.

Altarboy
11-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Wow I hate to attempt a carb breakdown but that may be the key.

shotdown61
11-04-2012, 07:55 PM
I would agree with Sherman and others.I let my carb dry up on my Harley and when I went to turn the gas on,fuel ran out.
Found the bowel was covered with the aftermath of the poor gas we get now.
Had to clean out the jets and float seat and all was well.

I have a S&S carb so was an easy task.Sucks that we pay so much for gas and then have to spend more money for additives
to keep the shit gas from destroying are engines.

Scootertrash
11-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Like others have said: Carb clean time!! Take it off, disassemble and clean well. Reassemble and install. ;)

If you think it's going to sit for awhile before you use it again, run some Seafoam in your gas tank, it will help stabilize the fuel and keep your carb clean.

If you do tear it apart, you will more than likely need a bowl gasket/seal.

What year is the machine and when was the last time the carb removed and cleaned?

El Laton Caliente
11-05-2012, 07:22 PM
It isn't bad gas, it is the ethanol the Federal government makes the refineries blend with it...

Altarboy
11-05-2012, 11:58 PM
It's an 03 and it's never had any work other than oil and diff fluid change.

Gunner1558
11-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Carb cleaner and compressed air to blow things clear.

Add some Marvel Miracle Oil to the gas, run the engine a few minutes every so often (once a week?) when not in use.

Scootertrash
11-06-2012, 02:10 PM
It's an 03 and it's never had any work other than oil and diff fluid change.

Yup, Time to pull that carb and clean it.

Altarboy
11-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Ok, jeez I hate to attempt a carb rebuild. I've rebuilt a Holley on my Goat long ago and did well. I later worked on a rochester Quadrajet and did not so well. Thanks for all the info Guys.

Scootertrash
11-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Ok, jeez I hate to attempt a carb rebuild. I've rebuilt a Holley on my Goat long ago and did well. I later worked on a rochester Quadrajet and did not so well. Thanks for all the info Guys.

Get yourself a good manual probably a Clymers, NOT a Haynes. Take your time, follow the manual and you will be fine. If you lived in Minnesota, I'd try to help ya out.