PDA

View Full Version : in love again with a preban

silentkilla
11-04-2012, 05:39 PM
1947 900 dollars worth of preban lovleyness:smiley31:

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1947&d=1352068722

imanaknut
11-04-2012, 05:44 PM
If that is what I think it is, actually I know it is a Canadian 84S by the long barrel, but it looks like the gas block does not have the bayo lug on it, and that stock is definitely not Norinco. It might have been pre-Bush1-ban when imported into Canada, but it had to be converted into a sporting purpose weapon when most likely Century brought it into the land of shall not be infringed.

Either this is the third 84S/MAK-90 that has been listed in the last month, or one firearm is making the rounds of disappointment.

silentkilla
11-04-2012, 06:09 PM
is it a fake,
nut???:sadwave:

imanaknut
11-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Not a fake, but a Norinco that was Canadian before becoming USA. The 84S was available with 14, 16, or 18 inch barrels, in fixed, underfolder or sidefolding stock, and wood, orange, or black furniture. Not all versions were imported because Bush1 banned them by looks before they could get a good foothold here.

Canada requires an 18 inch barrel or longer, so that is a giveaway to it being Canadian. The date of importation into the US was most likely post Bush1 ban as the bayo lug and standard 84S flash hider is missing.

A fake only in that it is not pre-ban. If that is the rifle I think it is, it is marked 84S in the right place, but to make Bush1 happy, it is also marked MAK-90 on the right side of the receiver under the front of the ejection port.

Check this thread: http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?20595-Question-about-magazines-for-84S

silentkilla
11-04-2012, 07:13 PM
yes i remember that thread. so its the same as what he's got ?

silentkilla
11-04-2012, 07:28 PM
nut, the rifle we are talking about is southernpatriots he just e-mailed me back from were i gave him a little info on the gun,lol small world

imanaknut
11-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Just PM'd him and tried to explain again that the rifle was imported China into Canada into The USA. Because it came into the USA after the 1989 ban, it had to meet the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment as demanded by Bush1, hense it being marked MAK-90.

But the fact that the standard USA 84S had a 16 inch barrel, as well as the few that were marked MAK-90 for the USA, this 18 inch barrel model is a rare bird in this country. You do not run into a Canadian AK variant in the USA too often, and in fact this is the only post-Bush1 Norinco I have ever seen. Yes I have a couple pre-ban Canadian 84S in my collection, but no post-bans.

So considering what the standard MAK-90s are selling for these days (check sold auctions on Gunbroker) and what the .223 MAK-90s are selling for if you can find one, this rifle is again a very rare oddity, and because of that, it will have a higher asking price. I believe firmly in capitalism, and when you have a low supply of something, and the demand is high, so will the price be.

Probably not the answer you wanted to here, but you can probably count on one hand the number of 84S/MAK-90 marked Canadian models are in this country.

silentkilla
11-04-2012, 08:35 PM
so 900 is a fair asking price, huh

imanaknut
11-04-2012, 08:47 PM
PM sent

skylark
11-18-2012, 09:45 AM
I just signed up to the forum and am new to the AK47. So please forgive me if I use a term or two that is not quite correct. I went to a gun show in West Palm a week or so ago, as I have a few hand guns and wanted to look around. I was looking at hand guns on a table and a rifle caught my eye. The dealer ( not really a dealer but a collector selling some of his stuff ) Told me it is a Norinco Mac90 from his collection,never fired and it has a longer barrel then most Mak 90s. He removed the magazine to show me how good it looked inside and also pulled back the bolt ( Slide ? ) to look in the receiver that way. By the way it has a milled receiver and barrel. I fell in love with it and believe I overplaid for it . As I was walking around the show with it after I bought it 4-5 people asked me if it was for sale and about 6 dealers also asked me if I am selling it. The last dealer that looked at it said " I didn't even know one was here and after he looked it over he offered me $ 50.00 more then I paid for it , When I got home I started to research it the best I can and I found this forum talking about the Mac90s from Canada. It is matching numbers and says Mak90 " Made in China by Norinco " next to that it says "CENTARMS Canada " also cal 7.62X39 and also on the receiver says 386. There is no year date in the serial number 8781 . It has the butt hole stock funiture in a darker brown. I measured the barrel from the front to the other end inside the receiver in the bolt ( slide ) and it is exactly 19" . I like the gun so much I decided I am not going to shoot it and am going to look for another AK 47 ( Hopefully another Mak 90 ) to shoot as I have been buying up ammo for it. Anybody have any info they could share with me ? Thanks for reading my post.

silentkilla
11-18-2012, 09:57 AM
hello skylark:welcome: to the site, probably the best thing you can do istry to up load a pic on here to let everyone look at the beauty you have found. it will give everyone a good idea of what you have..but a couple of my buds on here ,el laton or imanaknut will tell you exactly what you have and how much it is worth. i tell you one thing you have come to the right place because these guys are the very best at what they do and the info they provide is astounding. but welcome to the site and good luck , they will be along in a bit.

skylark
11-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Thank you for such a quick reply. I am not sure how to upload a photos on here but will attemt to take some pics to do so as soon as I figure it out.

silentkilla
11-18-2012, 10:55 AM
lol, i haven't figured it out either the way i do it is, when you reply to the thread you have a little emblem of a tree, click it and go to computer instead of url, go to your pics and click the one you want, it will come up under the computer or url sign, then click ok and it will bring it into the thread window and then you post you reply

skylark
11-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Taking picsm now and will try when done

skylark
11-18-2012, 11:42 AM
19921993 This does not seem to be working well. Lets my add some and ignores other pics . I have more taken and the flash washes the pic plus it seemed to add some pics and not others? Also I sprayed Bilistoil in the mag chamber and i can see it in the pics

charger0122
11-18-2012, 11:50 AM
here ya go. when you post them from a url uncheck the lil check box and they will show up like this.

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1993&d=1353256557

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1992&d=1353256451
hmm they dissapeard lol

El Laton Caliente
11-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Nice rifle! What you have there is a ban version of the Polytech National Match with the Canadian 19" barrel requirement. With the right ammo that should be a very accurate AK (remembering AKs are not known for accuracy!). From what I see it looks in almost perfect condition. I doubt I would have passed it up...

skylark
11-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Trying again and if I repeat some pics i'm sorry.1999199919971997200020002000

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1996&d=1353257545http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1995&d=1353257422

silentkilla
11-18-2012, 12:13 PM
very nice skylark, that is a beauty

silentkilla
11-18-2012, 12:16 PM
i know why they won't come up, you have to down size your pics, bring them up and resize them to 560 and it will work

skylark
11-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Thank you all. So glad I found this forum

silentkilla
11-18-2012, 12:28 PM
ready to sell it??? lol

imanaknut
11-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Welcome to the group, skylark !!! :welcome:

Normally the long barrel, milled post-Bush1-ban rifles were marked "MAK-91". They started life as the Poly Tech Legend National Match, which is why yours has the 386 in the oval factory mark. What makes yours special (obviously) is that it is marked "MAK-90" and not the USA normal "MAK-91".

MAK-91s have been selling for $1000 lately and I would not be surprised for someone to pay a bit more for one marked differently in the land of shall not be infringed.

About getting your pictures to show, which as you can see I already loaded a couple for you. After you have your photos uploaded, right click on them and then on "Copy Image URL". Then in your post, click on the button that is a square with what looks like a tree growing on yellow ground, Insert Image. In the window that comes up, click on the "from URL" tab, then uncheck the box with the mark, click in the window to get the cursor there, then right click and past the URL into that window. Click ok and your photo will show.

imanaknut
11-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Wanted to get that posted before continuing.

If you remove the "Bush-hole" stock (a phrase coined by me a long time ago) you should find that the back of the receiver has a funny angle to it, and instead of the standard rectangular hole for a milled receiver stock, the hole is round. If you want to convert to standard pistol grip and stock, you are stuck with either making one yourself, which I have done but did it in my garage and turned everything into sawdust, or you can buy one specially made for the milled MAK-90 receiver from Ironwood Designs, a great company to deal with, run by a perfectionist who makes top grade wood furniture for AKs and other rifle. Highly recommended.

I want to congratulate you on finding the first milled Canadian MAK-90 I have seen! You have a very rare rifle in this country.

So, how much did you really "overpay" :smiley31:

skylark
11-18-2012, 12:47 PM
I felt I overpaid but I bought it because I read so many good things about Norinco and the gun felt so right when i held it the price was not the deciding factor . Ok ! I guess I will confess to the forum what I paid. $1,000 ..:dizzy: and even if everyone says way to much I still am glad It Is now mine .

silentkilla
11-18-2012, 12:49 PM
told you skylark, there genius on ak's

silentkilla
11-18-2012, 12:51 PM
i'll give you your money back

skylark
11-18-2012, 12:56 PM
I can see that . Thank you all:you-rock:

skylark
11-18-2012, 01:48 PM
I like original and when I restored a 68 GTO I kept it that way.. I am sure many do not feel the same, but I like the look of the Mak with the furniture that came with it and since I feel most likely I will never fire the gun and will just hang it on the wall and look for another Mak to shoot I want to keep it as we say in the classic car world " Keep it original ".
i really appreciate the education you guys are giving me and please do not hesitate to make suggestions or information on this Mak 90.
Thank you all.

skylark
11-20-2012, 08:15 AM
I am going to try my luck again next month going back to the same gun show hoping the same collector will be there selling some more of his stuff.
Any of you guys have a wish list ? I would be happy to help you find something you are looking for after all the info I have been given here.
Thanks again everyone.