PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Paine: words from the past a lesson for the present

O.S.O.K.
11-07-2012, 12:40 PM
"These are the times that try men's souls.
The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will,
in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country;
but he that stands it now,
deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered;
yet we have this consolation with us,
that the harder the conflict,
the more glorious the triumph.
What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly.
Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods;
and it would be strange indeed,
if so celestial an article as Freedom
should not be highly rated."

El Jefe
11-07-2012, 12:52 PM
At this late date, yes, we should continue to strive to turn the country around. But it won't work I think, it'll have to completely crash or we'll have to pick up the gun, which won't work yet because there's no feasible way to coordinate it.

O.S.O.K.
11-07-2012, 04:58 PM
I'm expecting that we are going to be presented with too much abuse to ignore, too much abuse to put up with hoping for another chance in 4 years.... too much much abuse to accept, period.

I hope I'm wrong.

El Jefe
11-07-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm expecting that we are going to be presented with too much abuse to ignore, too much abuse to put up with hoping for another chance in 4 years.... too much much abuse to accept, period.

I hope I'm wrong.

Oh yeah, we're going to get shoved around, no doubt. But I don't think they'll do so much, so fast, as to spur an uprising.

O.S.O.K.
11-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Given the responses to the topic that I've seen here and elsewhere - I think you are right.

I'm amazed at how many are counceling "hiding". Yes. Very sad. Being low-profile is good advice but not the answer...

Diesel
11-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Fellow frogs...do come into the pot with me, the water is tepid and o'h so swell.........Thomas Paine is one of my all time favorite authors.

Diesel 888888888

:coffee: