PDA

View Full Version : Can a Bulgarian 24mm FSB be installed on a SAR 3?

Wild Bill
11-08-2012, 02:43 PM
I finally got around to replacing the FSB on my SAR 3 only to realise that the Romanian 22mm was 24mm. I called the dsarms to exchange for the correct part and they are out. K-var has the 22mm FSB. Looks like I am stuck with the 24mm FSB. Since I cannot find any origional Romanian 22mm brakes, maybe the Bulgarian 24 mm brake is the better option anyway.

Is the Bulgarian 24 mm brake compatible with the SAR 3?

imanaknut
11-08-2012, 03:01 PM
I finally got around to replacing the FSB on my SAR 3 only to realise that the Romanian 22mm was 24mm. I called the dsarms to exchange for the correct part and they are out. K-var has the 22mm FSB. Looks like I am stuck with the 24mm FSB. Since I cannot find any origional Romanian 22mm brakes, maybe the Bulgarian 24 mm brake is the better option anyway.

Is the Bulgarian 24 mm brake compatible with the SAR 3?

Did you install a Bulgarian 24mm front sight base on your SAR-3? I didn't think you could, but if you did there is no reason that the matching brake wouldn't work.

Wild Bill
11-08-2012, 04:00 PM
No, I did not install the Bulgarian FSB on the Sar 3. I wanted to make sure that the part is compatible prior to removing the pins. It looks like I had better jump on the Romanian 22mm FSB at K-Var.

imanaknut
11-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Thought so but by the way you worded your question it looked like you already managed to install the Bulgarian base on the slimmer SAR-3 barrel. The Bulgarian barrel has a larger diameter than the SAR-3 barrel, so they won't work without either shimming up the barrel or somehow adding material to the area where the FSB mounts.

If you look closely at the FSB of the SAR-3 you might be able to see the remains of the threaded collar that was cut off. Sad thing was ATF said in a published letter that since there were no flash hiders in the 22mm size, the threads on the SAR-2 and SAR-3 were legal even under the clinton stupidity. Unfortunately Century felt it safer to cut them off.

There is another company that makes 22mm brakes for the Romanian base. http://www.ak-103.com/parts.html shows the part, don't remember who sells it but Chris Butler should be able to direct you.

Wild Bill
11-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Thanks AKnut! I just ordered the correct Romanian FSB from K-Var, I already have the 22mm brake from CNC Warrior. I guess that I will put the Bulgarian FSB up for sale on the classifieds or gunbroker. I did email ak-103 as their FSB is chrome lined. I don't know if that matters much, but I would like the more origianl Romamian brake.