PDA

View Full Version : Mak90 but want a new stock

edwardnorton
11-12-2012, 03:58 PM
HI guys, I got a mak90 but I dont want the thumbhole stock. After looking for a while I decided to go for the Romanian wire folding stock but it looks to be hard to find, any one have info who sells them?

Also I see there is an alternate Polish Tantal wire folder that can work if I cant get my hands on a romanian.

imanaknut
11-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Romanian stocks pop up on Gunbroker pretty often. Also check Apex Gun Parts, one of our sponsors.

Word of warning, the Chinese used a thicker metal in their receivers, so using any European part will require a lot of filing, sanding, and/or grinding to get it to fit. It can be done but it isn't an easy plug and play.

edwardnorton
11-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Yup, I heard about the thickness so Im ok on filing the stock a bit. The mak90 is the best AK made!

imanaknut
11-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Yup, I heard about the thickness so Im ok on filing the stock a bit. The mak90 is the best AK made!

I guess you have never held a Poly Tech Legend??? :eyebrows:

TB215
11-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Best post ban, AK yes! But the best AK has to go tot he Polytech Legend.

edwardnorton
11-19-2012, 03:35 AM
So i ended up getting a polish tantal wire folder. It looks similAr to the romanian folder. I had to grind away metal from the folder so it can fit inside the reciever. The polish tantal requires a metal spring to slide in the folder and this spring slips inside the reciever completely. In order to do this you must remove your pistol grip as well and the spring acts like a washer for the pistol screw as well.

Since the chinese tang is longer than the european, there will be a gap between reciever and stock. I have metal exposed shown due to me sanding away do you guys think i can just spray paint this part or use a special paint made for metal?

imanaknut
11-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Can you post a picture of what that area looks like so that we can better help you?

Off the top of my head I cannot picture the area that the Tantal stock interacts with the pistol grip, but I have modified the area on the stock where the rear tang slides into to allow a better fit. Don't know if moving the stock forward (by modifying the tang slot) would allow a better fit but cause issues with the pistol grip mount.

If nothing can be done, I see no reason you can't spray paint the area of the stock that is exposed.

edwardnorton
11-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Thanks for replying. I can take a picture later i have it disassembled as im waiting for parts to come in. The wire folder has exposed metal because i sanded it down to fit the receiver. So the black finish is gone and im wondering within time the exposed metal will rust. Will normal spray paint be sufficient to cover the metal?

imanaknut
11-19-2012, 01:53 PM
I use high temp BBQ/oven/grill paint. It is specially formulated to prevent rust and resist the heat, although you should not have a heat issue in the stock area, it is still great paint for firearms.

edwardnorton
11-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the help, finished spray painting it and now it should look uniform.