PDA

View Full Version : Options on changing the thumbhole stock on my MAK 90.....And pics of those who have

w30olds
11-12-2012, 04:39 PM
I've had it for awhile. I'm in the mood to change it out for a standard AK style rear stock. I only know of Ironwood Designs selling stocks. Anyone else sell them? I'm just replacing the thumb hole piece. It's heavy and fuggly! Also if you guys have done the swap can you post up some pics? Wanting to get some color ideas for the stock. Gonna refinish the existing pieces as well.

Thanks!!!!

Diesel
11-12-2012, 04:48 PM
K-Var

Diesel 88888888

:coffee:

TB215
11-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Go with real Chinese Chu wood. Use a mag and change out the FCG.

silentkilla
11-12-2012, 08:04 PM
I've had it for awhile. I'm in the mood to change it out for a standard AK style rear stock. I only know of Ironwood Designs selling stocks. Anyone else sell them? I'm just replacing the thumb hole piece. It's heavy and fuggly! Also if you guys have done the swap can you post up some pics? Wanting to get some color ideas for the stock. Gonna refinish the existing pieces as well.

Thanks!!!! you are an( all american non believer)?????? WTF

slamfire51
11-12-2012, 08:11 PM

Thanks!!!!

If I'm not mistaken, you will also have to change out some foreign parts for US parts to make it compliant.
The thumbhole stock made it a sporter so it could be imported easier.
I may be wrong.

stinker
11-13-2012, 12:42 AM
922(r) Worksheet for AK-47 Builds (http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance)

w30olds
11-13-2012, 12:57 AM
K-Var

Diesel 88888888

:coffee:

I looked on their website and didn't see any stocks that fit the MAK-90.....As for the compliance parts I do have a US made trigger group.

imanaknut
11-13-2012, 02:55 AM
Sorry to say this but Ironwood Designs is probably the best way to go. They now make better copies of the Chinese style stock sets, and that would give you 3 parts toward the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment. The future of the free world revolves around not having more than 10 imported parts on a long gun!!!!

purple = internet sarcasm.

tnakfan
11-13-2012, 06:33 AM
If you are just looking to change the stock look on E bay under ak gun parts you will also need to change other parts to meet 922 regs

Krupski
11-13-2012, 09:37 AM
922(r) Worksheet for AK-47 Builds (http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance)

Gee... I checked the Constitution and Bill of Rights.... couldn't find ANY mention of "sporting uses" or "foreign parts count"....

slamfire51
11-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Gee... I checked the Constitution and Bill of Rights.... couldn't find ANY mention of "sporting uses" or "foreign parts count"....

There's a lot of BS you won't find in either.

w30olds
11-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Sorry to say this but Ironwood Designs is probably the best way to go. They now make better copies of the Chinese style stock sets, and that would give you 3 parts toward the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment. The future of the free world revolves around not having more than 10 imported parts on a long gun!!!!
purple = internet sarcasm.

I agree......I'm going to order a stock from Matt at Ironwood. Going to give him a call later today. I want to keep the wood and leave the weapon as close to original as possible.

Thanks for the input fellas

Diesel
11-13-2012, 11:19 AM
When you go to take the buthole stock off there is a 'special' nut that will require a 'special' tool...and often the bolt is slightly peaned over to make stock removal more difficult; you will need a large flat head screwdriver, with !/8" thick file cut a square notch right in the middle...unless you just happen to have a spanner that will work just right.

I have never worried about what anyone, US included, thought about configuration and parts count...but then, I'm kind of radical about the 2nd.

Diesel 88888888

:coffee::terrorist:

Krupski
11-14-2012, 11:37 AM
When you go to take the buthole stock off there is a 'special' nut that will require a 'special' tool...and often the bolt is slightly peaned over to make stock removal more difficult; you will need a large flat head screwdriver, with !/8" thick file cut a square notch right in the middle...unless you just happen to have a spanner that will work just right.

I have never worried about what anyone, US included, thought about configuration and parts count...but then, I'm kind of radical about the 2nd.

Diesel 88888888

If the President doesn't have to obey the law... if the Attorney General doesn't have to obey the law.... why should we?

MY rifle has one extra foreign part in it. It hasn't hurt anyone. I don't even hunt.... unlike the rifles that Eric Holder allowed to walk into Mexico, resulting in the DEATH of a US CITIZEN!

Who, exactly, is the "criminal" here?

w30olds
11-14-2012, 05:02 PM
If the President doesn't have to obey the law... if the Attorney General doesn't have to obey the law.... why should we?

MY rifle has one extra foreign part in it. It hasn't hurt anyone. I don't even hunt.... unlike the rifles that Eric Holder allowed to walk into Mexico, resulting in the DEATH of a US CITIZEN!

Who, exactly, is the "criminal" here?

I'm pretty much feel the same. If I don't have all the compliance parts then I'll never tell......

w30olds
11-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Spoke with Matt at Ironwood. Ordered a butt stock today. Looking forward to getting it finished and installing it.

trueno
11-15-2012, 10:04 AM
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb390/AK_junky/ak_Chicom/386_t3_3753.jpg
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb390/AK_junky/ak_Chicom/386_t3_3752.jpg

You neglected to say whether it's stamped or milled. For those with milled MAK-90's, weld the rear end and use normal wood.

t

silentkilla
11-15-2012, 06:45 PM
YOU INTERESTED IN SELLING THAT BEAUTY???

trueno
11-15-2012, 08:41 PM
YOU INTERESTED IN SELLING THAT BEAUTY???

No, but thank you for the compliment :anim_beer-1:

El Laton Caliente
11-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Humm I was going to use my underfolder front site block on a stamped Poly I was putting a red side folder set on, but I like the looks of that and haven't found a red fore bottom that is underfolder cut or come up with a good way of cutting the set I have... decisions..

w30olds
11-16-2012, 12:01 AM
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb390/AK_junky/ak_Chicom/386_t3_3752.jpg

You neglected to say whether it's stamped or milled. For those with milled MAK-90's, weld the rear end and use normal wood.

t

Super nice rifle!! Mine is stamped.

imanaknut
11-16-2012, 12:20 AM
Humm I was going to use my underfolder front site block on a stamped Poly I was putting a red side folder set on, but I like the looks of that and haven't found a red fore bottom that is underfolder cut or come up with a good way of cutting the set I have... decisions..

Although about as rare as they come, I have seen a couple of red plastic bayo cut lower handguard on gunbroker. Wasn't in the market for them so I never checked the price. Keep your eyes open, they do show up now and then. And what ever you do, don't modify an original Chinese lower handguard if it is plastic. (I know you know better, but I just had to say that. :D

stinker
11-16-2012, 09:14 PM

Ya aint gonna get an argument out of me.

I think it's stupid but if someone wants to avoid the possibility of running afoul of some ATF thugs sensibilities then there ya go.

Hell...i'm the one that thinks anyone that wants an M134 and has the money should be able to just zip down to the local gun shop and pick one up.

:fighter2:

Krupski
11-17-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm pretty much feel the same. If I don't have all the compliance parts then I'll never tell......

If you look at my Kalashnikov rifles, they all have RSA triggers in them. They can be identified by how they look (the shape, the
adjusting screws, etc..) but other than that how can ANYONE prove where they were made?

I know they were made in Missouri (one of our 57 states), but they aren't stamped "USA".

I can't prove that they are US made... and nobody can prove that they are foreign.

Utterly absurd laws.

Krupski
11-17-2012, 12:21 PM

Wow... nice rifle you have there! :thumbsup:

silentkilla
11-17-2012, 12:22 PM
i want it bad!!!!!!! you end up selling it give me a holler,lol

El Laton Caliente
11-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Although about as rare as they come, I have seen a couple of red plastic bayo cut lower handguard on gunbroker. Wasn't in the market for them so I never checked the price. Keep your eyes open, they do show up now and then. And what ever you do, don't modify an original Chinese lower handguard if it is plastic. (I know you know better, but I just had to say that. :D

I had looked into something like chucking it up in a mill and using a grinding demel head to slowly work a grove in it, but decided it wasn't worth the risk...

Krupski
11-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Hell...i'm the one that thinks anyone that wants an M134 and has the money should be able to just zip down to the local gun shop and pick one up.

Agreed. We should not have to pay $16,000 for an old beat up "transferable" M-16... we should be able to go to the local gun store and buy a brand new M4 for $500 just like the military does.

If my rifle had a "happy switch" does anyone think that would transform me from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde?

Krupski
11-17-2012, 12:25 PM
i want it bad!!!!!!! you end up selling it give me a holler,lol

I want it BADDER!

silentkilla
11-17-2012, 12:30 PM
no shit, why does the atf thinks the happy switch is going to make a damn differance, hell you can go by a slide fire stock and they say its ok because you don't change the trigger config. does not make no since at all
Agreed. We should not have to pay $16,000 for an old beat up "transferable" M-16... we should be able to go to the local gun store and buy a brand new M4 for $500 just like the military does.

If my rifle had a "happy switch" does anyone think that would transform me from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde?

Full Otto
11-17-2012, 12:36 PM
MY rifle has one extra foreign part in it.

http://i45.tinypic.com/23h6flz.jpg

silentkilla
11-17-2012, 12:48 PM
lmao,,,,,:lol:

Krupski
11-17-2012, 02:04 PM
no shit, why does the atf thinks the happy switch is going to make a damn differance, hell you can go by a slide fire stock and they say its ok because you don't change the trigger config. does not make no since at all

BATFE really doesn't "care", they just enforce the law. It's the law that's absurd.

Krupski
11-17-2012, 02:05 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/23h6flz.jpg

Funny!

And I threaded the muzzle of my first SAR-1 DURING the Clinton ban! Yup... I'm going to hell.

trueno
12-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Before...

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb390/AK_junky/ak_Chicom/nor_8_56.jpg

...After

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb390/AK_junky/ak_Chicom/nor_8_65.jpg

Super nice rifle!! Mine is stamped.

Thanks, above is a pic of one of my stamped 56 clones. I found it at a Houston show, guy that had it was a dealer/friend that concentrated on AR's so I got it right. MAK that still retained its preban features, the original info on the rec'r scribed/lined through (KSI import). It was dressed in some ninja poly furniture, cured that quick with some BFPU stuff I had stashed away.

t