PDA

View Full Version : "government ar-15's"

deth502
09-02-2010, 02:26 PM
question:

which government agency uses semi-auto ar-15's?? (federal)

RJ Shooter
09-02-2010, 02:32 PM
question:

which government agency uses semi-auto ar-15's?? (federal)I know the DOE does. The security forces that protect reactors, etc. use standard ARs, M4s and Dissapators...

I also believe the Border Patrol does as well.

deth502
09-02-2010, 02:54 PM
i see. reason i ask is that i thought any govt agency would have m-16s. i didnt know if any semis actually existed.

i was being asked my opinion at work on the subject. there are semi auto ar-15's for sale at the federal surpluss building for $125 each. they are in federal surplus, so its not a state or local agency. they say whatever agency it is is switching over from gas guns to piston driven guns. my only thought were "are you SURE theyre not m-16??" and why any PART of the govt would switch over to piston guns. maybe its a test bed for the military?

idk, but either way, im probably gonna get to finger fuck a whole shit load of ar's next week. and im sure its going to kill me that they are $125 each and i cant buy any. :((

El Jefe
09-02-2010, 03:06 PM
I know the DOE does. The security forces that protect reactors, etc. use standard ARs, M4s and Dissapators...

I also believe the Border Patrol does as well.

This is a fact, I've shot at the Conservation Dept range with some of the security guys at the Calloway nuclear plant.

Krupski
09-02-2010, 03:27 PM
question:

which government agency uses semi-auto ar-15's?? (federal)

I have two of them that are roll marked "AR15-A2 Government Carbine". They are Colt 6520 rifles.

circuits
09-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Many government agencies, though they would legally be able to use full auto/select-fire firearms, choose to only issue semi-auto firearms for PR, public safety, or other concerns.

LAPD, for instance, got 600+ M16's through the military law-enforcement assistance program, and retooled most of them to a semi-auto only configuration, either through the installation of locking plates, or replacing the FA fire control groups with SA fcgs. Their SWAT teams still use full autos, but rank and file patrol officers only get semi autos to stash in their black and whites.

Moebrown20
09-02-2010, 04:27 PM
and im sure its going to kill me that they are $125 each and i cant buy any. :((

So who can buy???

abpt1
09-02-2010, 04:50 PM
So who can buy???
Thats a damn good question !

deth502
09-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Many government agencies, though they would legally be able to use full auto/select-fire firearms, choose to only issue semi-auto firearms for PR, public safety, or other concerns.

LAPD, for instance, got 600+ M16's through the military law-enforcement assistance program, and retooled most of them to a semi-auto only configuration, either through the installation of locking plates, or replacing the FA fire control groups with SA fcgs. Their SWAT teams still use full autos, but rank and file patrol officers only get semi autos to stash in their black and whites.

but these are FEDERAL surplus, not state. stat i know there are many state govt's that use semi, i didnt think there were any federal.

So who can buy???

im not sure on that one. i know the federal surplus is only open to govt agancys and non profits (fire companies, schools, ect..) but i dont know if they will be letting these go to fire companies and schools, i would think they would restrict it to municipalities, but who knows??

in any event, no sales to the general public. we are, otoh, allowed to buy "work related" things through them personally (mainly work clothes, we can get them there cheap, but we will not get reimbursed for them) but again, im sure these wont fall into that category.

imanaknut
09-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Didn't Rock River get a contract a few years ago for some government agency. If these are those Rock River, and going for $125, there has to be a way for we the people to get our evil hands on one, or two, or three, or....

Pikeman
09-02-2010, 09:40 PM
I seem to recall something in one of the recent spend till you drop bills for AR's for a Dept of Education. I thought they were for "use " in Chicago.

RJ Shooter
09-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Didn't Rock River get a contract a few years ago for some government agency. If these are those Rock River, and going for $125, there has to be a way for we the people to get our evil hands on one, or two, or three, or....YUP! Rock River provides for the DEA. DPMS for the Border Patrol. Bushmaster for the DoE. Etc...

deth502
09-02-2010, 09:57 PM
I seem to recall something in one of the recent spend till you drop bills for AR's for a Dept of Education. I thought they were for "use " in Chicago.

i think that was remington shotguns??

Moebrown20
09-02-2010, 10:29 PM
in any event, no sales to the general public. we are, otoh, allowed to buy "work related" things through them personally (mainly work clothes, we can get them there cheap, but we will not get reimbursed for them) but again, im sure these wont fall into that category.

It wouldn't hurt to try, would it?

deth502
09-03-2010, 09:23 AM
a year or 2 ago, thay had benelli shotguns for $200, but that sale was different. they were allowing them to be sold to individual officers, all you had to do was give them some sort of number you get to show you were a cop.

but this one thay are going to the department, not individual officers, so idk.

if you see me post a wts ad for $250 ars, youll know i got them ;) :lool: DOUBLE UP!!!

Richard Simmons
09-03-2010, 10:59 AM
I know of at least one Park Ranger here in VA that has an "issue" semi-auto M4 clone.

HDR
09-03-2010, 04:44 PM
This is a fact, I've shot at the Conservation Dept range with some of the security guys at the Calloway nuclear plant.

Ditto, I used to shoot with a guy from Shearon Harris nuclear plant.

They get some serious trigger time also.

Ppsh41
09-09-2010, 07:03 PM
I have 2 Rock Rivers lowers that I purchased after the '94 AWB sunset from Legal Transfers. They are supposedly an over-run from a US Government contract, I think DEA. They are roll marked 'U.S. PROPERTY'.

UncleMike
09-09-2010, 08:59 PM
So who can buy???

Mexican Drug Cartels!!:duh:

Mike