PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPK Question

ATAK, Inc.
09-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Just came across a like new, stainless, american made Walther PPK, .380, with 2 mags, box and all paperwork for $350.

Is this a good deal?

AKTexas
09-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Just came across a like new, stainless, american made Walther PPK, .380, with 2 mags, box and all paperwork for $350.

Is this a good deal?

Yes,last one I found used was over $400 and the shop would not budge.

Krupski
09-02-2010, 05:48 PM

Is this a good deal?

Good deal? Hell yes!

I was going to buy one when I spotted an AMT Backup in .45

I had resigned myself to "small pistol = .380" and when I saw a small pistol in .45, I jumped on it.

But the PPK is really nice... solid, well built and simple internals. Nice pistol.

Kadmos
09-02-2010, 06:04 PM
The price is good.

In my opinion though, the gun is not.

They had a lot of jamming problems with those, craftsmanship is so-so, but looks nice.

My ex wifes shot like shit, jammed alot and was inaccurate as hell.

Which is not the normal reputation of the Walther in general, it's just that those, in my opinion, sucked

Dan44
09-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Interarms, yeah....good price. Smith & Wesson....run away, they have a bad rep.

ATAK, Inc.
09-02-2010, 06:17 PM
I figure I can always sell for a profit or trade for something. Waiting to hear back from the guy.

What problems does S&W have, other than the recall last year?

I've always wanted a PPK, my FIL has a NAZI PPK, but I don't think he'll part with it any time soon. But it is a very good shooter!!!

Kadmos
09-02-2010, 06:18 PM

Probably true, mine was a Smith made.

If it says interarms or is german than whatever, but seriously I wouldn't go for the smith...I think it had a Conn. adress, can't remember if it said smith or not on the gun, but thats who made it.

Kadmos
09-02-2010, 06:24 PM
What problems does S&W have, other than the recall last year?

Rear sight was loose from day one, had it pinned, and still came loose, took it to three different gunsmiths and it always came loose next time we shot it. Grips poorly made, real thin, didn't match up well in the rear. Even when the sight was basically taped in place and the gun on a rest it did not group with any kind of acceptable consistency. Jammed quite a bit, tried a lot of different kinds of ammo.

Outside appearance was great, trigger pull was fine, had every indication of being a rather nice gun....but it just wasn't

ATAK, Inc.
09-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Rear sight was loose from day one, had it pinned, and still came loose, took it to three different gunsmiths and it always came loose next time we shot it. Grips poorly made, real thin, didn't match up well in the rear. Even when the sight was basically taped in place and the gun on a rest it did not group with any kind of acceptable consistency. Jammed quite a bit, tried a lot of different kinds of ammo.

Outside appearance was great, trigger pull was fine, had every indication of being a rather nice gun....but it just wasn't

Thanks Kadmos, even though it's free $$$ (won a bit gambling), I'd rather put the funds into my '69 Camaro project, she really needs to get on the road!!!

Kadmos
09-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Thanks Kadmos, even though it's free $$$ (won a bit gambling), I'd rather put the funds into my '69 Camaro project, she really needs to get on the road!!!

Sounds like a much better use to me.

Sorry to be so blunt, but man I hated that gun, it looked so nice, felt great, and worked so freaking badly..that kind of thing just pisses me off

Krupski
09-02-2010, 07:58 PM

Now that you mention it, the PPK I looked at was an old one (new-old stock), not a Smith...

Kadmos
09-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Now that you mention it, the PPK I looked at was an old one (new-old stock), not a Smith...

The problem is, just looking at, or holding, the Smith you would think it's a nice gun.

And maybe some are, but that wasn't my experiance.

One of the things that I love about these boards though, we get to help each other out and get the knowledge (or opinions) out there to be able to make good decisions.

Great thing about this board is people aren't too shy or proud to ask BEFORE they buy the gun..lol

HDR
09-03-2010, 04:48 PM
worked so freaking badly..that kind of thing just pisses me off

It pisses anyone off. LOL